Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

And now for something completely different: Merkur XR4Ti "Shea"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:Money on fire

5bf317c8e9c29_meanwhile_in_australia.jpg

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
99 SM | 99 WRL | 08 S2000 CR | 18 CIVIC TYPE-R

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'89 Merkur XR4Ti

5bf317c8e9c29_meanwhile_in_australia.jpg

Ha yeah, not sure why my phone decided to do that.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti, yes it's weird.

Max

Max

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSherwood, Arkansas
  • Track Vehicle:'02 996

Ha yeah, not sure why my phone decided to do that.

The device is always the goat...;0

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX
Ha, well when I LOOK at it on my phone it's the right way up, but it uploaded upside-down.

joesurf79

joesurf79

In search of Miata Valve shims

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSugar Land TX
  • Track Vehicle:Yes, Please!

Ha, well when I LOOK at it on my phone it's the right way up, but it uploaded upside-down.

I get the same nonsense when I load pics from my phone onto TJs. They get flipped 90 degrees. Intermittently?

My dad said any pics of me holding my son should be captioned:  "Hell - it has frozen over!"

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

I get the same nonsense when I load pics from my phone onto TJs. They get flipped 90 degrees. Intermittently?

Yeah, it only happens occasionally, photos uploaded previously were from my phone as well.

The autocross went well, and as expected I got my butt whuppped in my own car with my friend co-driving!
Results: http://www.ntaxs.com..._nov_18_fin.htm
We finished 8th and 10th respectively in class 2, (which is based on displacement, multiplied by a factor for turbocharging) with my friend .8 of a second up on me when you compare the two fastest runs. This can be seen in this comparison video:

Some notes, right off: I was up on him on the first part of the course, and then a series of corners that I overslowed (and understeered) into brought him back up to neck and neck where we ran until I braked too late for the final corner and ran waayy wide, dialed in wayy to much steering, and was on the power wayyy late, and he jumped way ahead all the way through the finish. I'll probably review the data a bit more and post something in the discussion side about driving habits.

As for the car, it felt MUCH better. 350#/in springs on the Koni Yellow coilovers in front (which were set 1/4 turn from soft) kept the front end much more planted. In the rear, the stock springs remained, but the big rear bar kept the back end pretty balanced once the tires were warm. On cold tires the car felt like it had a bit of push. Even on the 350#/in springs, it doesn't feel harsh on the street, I'm absolutely going to swap the 450#/in springs while the car is up in the air next. The tires gripped well but we ran the pressures a bit low for the setup. I measured the width of the tires at 7.5" and they're on 5.5" wheels!! They need a bit of pressure to keep the tire from moving around too much, and I think we were just below that threshold, having a lot of rollover, and then low pressures in the rear for the afternoon runs.

Underway at the moment is the addition of an intercooler and associated piping. So far I have removed the old upper intake and the alternator, added the alternator back on a passenger side bracket, and mocked up the piping on the throttle body side. Currently using worm clamps (which are meant for the intake), but with plans to upgrade those to constant-torque clamps at some point. I've also added a rotated upper intake, and I'm about to rotate the compressor housing on the turbo to help with clearance on the turbo-side piping and replace it with a hose-style clamp (currently it has a 2 bolt outlet).

The wires to the throttle body sensors, as well as to the alternator will either need to be extended or replaced, and the larger elbows on the cold-side will need some trimming to fit without pre-stressing them, but we're well on our way!

I have acquired some 700#/in rear springs (remember, 0.60 motion ratio means this is ~250#/in at the wheel), but they may be a bit tall to reach my goal of lowering the rear a bit. More to come later.

Future plans (and parts already acquired):
-Solid rear beam mounts
-Nylon FWD STA bushings
-700#/in rear springs
-Baffling for radiator
-Cosworth Front grill (needs painted) [airflow to IC]
-Instrument cluster surround (you can see the old one flopping around in the video)

Future plans (and parts which need to be purchased):
-16mm rear anti-roll bar
-Taller front springs (no clanking) in 450-500#/in
-Wire ACT sensor for intake
-Boost controller (bleed valve)
-Larger diameter/wider wheels (looking at at least 17x7)

-Solid Diff Mount

But all in all, I really need to drive it as is, and get some seat time and improve my driving. I'm not in a rush to complete all of these upgrades over the winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181121_193518.jpg
  • 20181113_224956.jpg

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Intercooler mods complete!

After a slight detour fixing the distributor gear (and changing the auxiliary shaft), setting the timing on the car (an adventure when the timing marks are on crumbling 30 y/o plastic...), everything is on! Originally I had a VW recirculation valve plumbed to atmosphere, but it was leaking like crazy (large enough that I couldn't get the car to idle). I replaced it with a billet dual-piston BOV and the problems went away. 

The BOV made an extraordinary difference on the response of the car when shifting on full power! Before, there was a lot of lag (and some Choo-choo compressor surge), and now it gets right back to boost almost immediately. Good addition, makes me feel like I would have been at least half a second faster at the last autocross!

Here's a video of a quick shift, and then a coast:

https://photos.app.g...hZVGg4rUeVMFDZA

Future plans listed above will go on hold while I do some regular maintenance on the daily driver and have other scheduled events, but hopefully I'll have some time and I can get back on track soon!

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Sad days, on a drive around town last night seems like we blew a head gasket. Things will be on pause while damage is assessed and fixes completed. Thankfully a head gasket job isn't horrible on this car, but still a bummer. 

dunhamr1

dunhamr1

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Diagnosis confirmed. Busted the fire ring in the #2 cylinder, and was also leaking in #1.

https://photos.app.g...GHxebpsegTEh2N6

Quick flatness check says less than .002" out of flat, likely will clean it up and just put a new gasket in.

Spark plugs were nasty in the cylinders that were leaking, and okay looking (maybe a bit lean) on the other cylinders.

Compression was 152, 45, 150, 155 for cylinders 1,2, 3, and 4 respectively.