Sign in to follow this  
BigMonkey73

SCCA TNIA - 9/18/2018

Anyone in for next Tuesday Track Night in America?

I'll be there with a couple of friends from the DFW Corvette club.

Should be a nice break from work for me, haven't been on track for a bit. Plus TNIA doesn't have much traffic given the relative low attendance to other orgs.

Yikes! Is that the end of the sway bar that ripped off? If you were in the Houston area, I'd zip that together for you in 10 minutes!:-/

The tab on the shock body sheared off, I think it was metal fatigue. I have some giant zip ties that I use for battery tie downs, they're over a half inch wide and have a tensile strength of 120lbs.

What shocks are these?

I'm on the Ohlin's Road & Track MI20 (old version with stiffer springs). I've had them for 3 years, 43k miles, over 150 autox events and approaching 50 track days. Stuff's starting to get old on the BRZ.

Definitely fatigue.

I wouldnt want to weld onto a shock body to repair it, hut maybe you can clamp it somehow. Can you post pics of the rest of the shock where the broken piece attaches?

I might be going on Tuesday, but if so, I'll have to sign up at the last minute.  I've got a project at work I need to wrap up first, and whether that'll happen in time is up in the air.

Well, my friends are amazing. We fabricated a new tab to replace the broken one and reinforced the other side, something else will have to break next time. The tabs were bolted to the shock and came off easily, the shape wasn't too complicated but did require two bends and a few holes.

I also took advantage of the car being on the lift and swapped out all my brake pads for new stuff and reconnected part of my exhaust that the Subaru techs didn't bother with when they last did some warranty work.

I'm signed up for the Advanced Group and look forward to getting back to the 1.7 (it's been a couple of months).

I had a great time out at MSR today, the oil slick at the end of the fist session made things interesting but no harm no foul. I was helping lead the lead-follow novice session during the advanced drivers' meeting and missed the memo on open passing with point-bys (made the first half of the first session a little confusing when I waved off some passes in corners).

My best time of the day was a 1:25.6 which is a second off my personal best, but I'm running RS4's and my PB was on RE71r's: 

https://youtu.be/J5hDa7-eCHM?t=363

I had a great time chasing the Corvettes and the open passing was nice.

I had a great time out at MSR today, the oil slick at the end of the fist session made things interesting but no harm no foul. I was helping lead the lead-follow novice session during the advanced drivers' meeting and missed the memo on open passing with point-bys (made the first half of the first session a little confusing when I waved off some passes in corners).

My best time of the day was a 1:25.6 which is a second off my personal best, but I'm running RS4's and my PB was on RE71r's: 

https://youtu.be/J5hDa7-eCHM?t=363

I had a great time chasing the Corvettes and the open passing was nice.

whats with the yellow signs?

Those are the markers for the passing zones for the other groups. They don't trust the novice and intermediate groups to remember where they can pass (there is no instruction).

The whole world passed me this event, but I ran a 1:38 in a completely stock miata on all seasons. I'm pretty pleased with it since I spent 4 months rebuilding this car after I bought the rolling shell. 

#13 icon_share.png

Posted Today, 07:30 AM

Those are the markers for the passing zones for the other groups. They don't trust the novice and intermediate groups to remember where they can pass (there is no instruction).

Not a bad idea for novices, heck even for all groups at DEs.

Good job. You had that vette driving his rear view big time. Nice he finally let you by.

Good job. You had that vette driving his rear view big time. Nice he finally let you by.

Thanks! He was faster than me so he only slowed me down in a couple of braking sections after we met traffic. I love chasing down the faster cars and/or drivers. I had 3 separate guys come by in grid to see what I had under the hood (they were all disappointed that all I've got are headers and some coilovers, the black vette driver had convinced himself that I had a supercharger).

Joe Birmingham (Scottish Joe) was there in his C7 Grandsport and he's way faster than I am, but it's always fun playing with the Corvettes while have 1/3rd the power (178whp).