Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VIR NASA 08/25-26/2018

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Thundermoose

Thundermoose

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationLeague City
  • Track Vehicle:E46 M3

So last time at WGI, I lost my right rear caliper bolt which caused the caliper to rotate - destroyed the carrier and the pads. Did some scraping of the inside of wheel drum but not too bad.

I had signed up for VIR NASA Mid Atlantic 08/25-26. I ordered a new carrier, bolts, caliper and rotors. I flew in a day early to get it fixed.

Turns out only the carrier was damaged so I decided to just replace that and the pads to avoid having to do a 1 man brake fluid flush. Repair was pretty straightforward . I replaced the bolts on the other side.

When I opened the hood to open the reservoir cap for the pad change I discovered that all of the caster screws on my vorshlag camber plates were gone. Technically 2 of 3 were gone but the other one was wallowed out. Fortunately TMI at VIR had replacement screws and I was able to fix that. I used copious amounts of blue loctite.

Basically, riding the bus stop curbs appears to have shaken a lot of stuff loose. In addition to the caliper bolts and caster bolts, I also lost all of my MCS adjustment knobs.

My goal for the weekend was to break 2:00. My previous best was 2:02.x but I had Scott Heckert coach me last month as mentioned in another post and I also had VIR reference lap in my car from Scott from the month before.

During the first session I managed a 2:01.9 on some scrubs. I had a hard time hitting my marks due to the tires not being very grippy but also I was just sloppy.

I reviewed my data and saw where I was losing time. I had promised myself that if I beat my PR in the first session, I’d put stickers on for 1st timed session. Since I did, stickers went on.

Gridded in the 4th spot behind a TTU guy and two TT3 guys. Tires were hooked up and I basically was getting the car to do whatever I asked of it. Stayed flat through esses and slight breathe at the last right. I was also really focusing on carrying more speed from roller coaster through hog pen. I felt like I did and when I crossed start/finish on first flyer, my DL flashed a 1:58.8! Took me a second to process it. This was about a second faster than the old track record. I decided to bank it and come in. Made weight by 30 lbs and tires passed the template.

I tried again Sunday morning to improve with the 2nd HC, but had to settle for a 2:00.

Looking at my data compared to Scott’s, and there is a still at least 0.75 seconds through turns 3 and 4.

I’ll be back at VIR in October with Chin and will try again.

Next month is WGI and hope to break 2:00 minutes there.

surlynkid

surlynkid

Gotta drive faster

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2010 GT3 #20 TT2

Awesome job.  You'll break 2:00 at WGI for sure.

Scott Landon

#920 TT2 - Speed Yellow 2010 Porsche GT3