CosmosMpower

Airport to NOLA Motorsports Park - Safe?

I'm going to the WRL race in Sept, flying in from DAL landing around 10 PM on a Friday night.  Is it safe to take an uber from the airport straight to the track or better to rent a car and drive myself.  I read NOLA is the 4th most dangerous city in the US, debating whether I need to check my G43 since LA has reciprocity with TX LTC.

Bring a bigger gun. We lose no less than 5 folks on the way in/out of the track for the annual NASA NOLA / TX crossover event and dare not leave the premises for the duration of the weekend. It's a war zone.

Bring a bigger gun. We lose no less than 5 folks on the way in/out of the track for the annual NASA NOLA / TX crossover event and dare not leave the premises for the duration of the weekend. It's a war zone.

5Lwi.gif

Nailed it.

LOL..   I've never had a problem around the track, but I'm also not usually out very late.  this area isn't NOLA itself, but outlying sprawl..   Much less risky than downtown NOLA when you're plastered..  However, the small neighborhood just west of the track is a bit sketchy so I usually take the other direction into the track off Hwy 90 so you're on relatively open roads.  Google map shows that to be the preferred route from the airport anyway.

https://goo.gl/maps/fVZFfW33pNv

Make sure the gate will still be open when you plan to arrive if you're going from the airport to the track at 11-12pm.   Based on rental car rates, Uber will likely be a lower cost option, but beware of friday night prices.   renting cars at MSY (airport) is usually pretty expensive due to the tourist tax (seriously.. they even list it as a tourism tax on your receipt) and being a weekend.

Another option is to take a cab/Uber about 5 min away and there's another Enterprise office at Veterans and Williams that doesn't charge ridiculous airport rates.   but based on zoning legaleze and whatnot, that Enterprise location is not allowed to do airport shuttle service or even pick you up at the airport.  Last time, I just took a cab for like $8 from airport to that location and when I returned the car, there was a hotel right next door to the branch and I walked over there and hopped the shuttle to the airport.  tipped the guy $5 and he suddenly didn't notice that I walked across the street and right onto his shuttle bus. :)

anyway, based on the distance, I wouldn't expect a huge Uber fee--  likely going to be less than renting a car for day(s) and not using it..  ??

Don't worry, this is your typical Uber in NOLA, which is also known as Deauxbai

gurkha-rpv-civilian-edition-by-terradyne

Access Denied - Category Blocked

It has been determined the URL contains inappropriate material according to the Company Infomation Security policies and has been blocked.

Reason: The category of Adult has been blocked by your System Administrator via URL: http://www.maxim.com/.image/t_share/MTM4NjE2MTg2MjkxMTAzMTQy/gurkha-rpv-civilian-edition-by-terradynejpg.jpg

If you feel that this is in error please feel free to contact the Service Desk.

Have a team mate -- or some other team -- pick you up at the airport?

M

Possible but trying not to inconvenience anyone else.  Not too worried about the cost, just safety.  

Can't tell if this thread is serious  :ph34r:  I plan on hitting up NOLA next year, so I am genuinely interested if stuff like this is an issue around the track.

While you're at the track, there's the constant sound of gunshots in the distance.

because there's a gun range next door

OP is right, its pretty sketchy. I visited the McDonalds on the way to the track and its definitely sketchy. Look at the crime maps. You'll be passing through some bad areas if you're not careful. I'd keep the doors locked and head on a swivel. Stay frosty.

5b845ed073786_2018082715_24_22WestwegoLA

5b845edd6e427_2018082715_21_24MetairieLA

I can arrange for armed security if you need it...let me make sure the individual in question will be in the area that weekend...

I am being dead serious, never been to Nola but I’m not fond of getting caught in a random gangbang shootout on a Friday night passing through some bad part of town. If all the sketchy stuff is in New Orleans proper and the track and Airport are ok I probably won’t bother checking my gun

Seriously, I frequent NOLA a lot and never have had a problem in the area. Uber should be fine to use to and from the airport as it does not go through any "bad" areas. But if you want to bring your G43, they do have a shooting range on site and you may actually hear gunshots in the distance.

I am being dead serious, never been to Nola but I’m not fond of getting caught in a random gangbang shootout on a Friday night passing through some bad part of town. If all the sketchy stuff is in New Orleans proper and the track and Airport are ok I probably won’t bother checking my gun

Seriously there is no issue. I live near New Orleans now. I fly out of MSY every month. Airport is safe. Route from airport follows major roads across river. I have driven all over Avondale and westwego area when I have stayed near the track and had no issues.

I've worked and traveled in, around, and through NOLA, MSY, and the west bank area (where the track is) since 2006.  I have had zero problems. don't hang out in sketchy neighborhoods- and you'll know which ones I mean the instant you see it- and you'll be fine. go back up and see my first comment on the route I recommend from the airport. much of that is highway/high speed road with few stops, and a fair amount is either elevated or "country". you're not going to see gangbangers hanging out on a bridge (cuz they be afraid o heights!) or behind a tree waiting to shoot you..  

Put it this way.. I take my wife and kids to the track and I send them to town to play while I'm racing.  If I were worried about their safety, I would not take them.