RUQWIKR

ECR improvements - can we get regular updates in here?

Latest update!!!

We're starting to feel a lot like Lt. Dan here at ECR: 

“Is that all you got ?” 

The efforts of our contractors and ECR team in the last two weeks, despite another 6 inches of rain… (and a sudden thunderstorm yesterday) are the stuff of folk songs !! 

We have a tour de force to prep the back side (see pics) for paving and to fix issues the water has exposed – and should now be prepared for anything !! 

As a key part of this effort – our engineers have come up with an incredible solution -- we are milling and installing permeable asphalt channels in the bottom lift for several sections of the track (see picture) -- paving them in now. Sad to be milling up new asphalt – but turns out you can mill in the rain-- and this was our chance to do it. 

We are on a mission to re-pave the second course next week and the surface course the week of June 10th– curbings right after. 

We should be up and running with roller coaster (1.65) in June and continue construction on the “Boot"; about 1/3 already done. 

We will never tire of saying thank you for your support and patience. We are still working on a barbecue date that is compatible with the construction madness, but please feel free to stop by anytime to check out the progress. 

Lt. Dan and the ECR Crew

image.png.b48f121ce28efdcc6d4809e4aa221798.png

image.png.9133c4330cbf285d76b45c329275a20b.png

image.png.0cf0d637ca6deebc1c9105ea2c65776d.png

Wow..   I'd be saying the same thing..  BRING ON THE PAIN!!!   I dont' even want to know how much money these folks are "losing" in this process.   all of the weather delays have cost them a fortune in lost revenue and additional labor/delays from the construction crews..   ugh.

Now that permeable asphalt---   Is that going BENEATH the track surface to provide some drainage below the track, or is that going to be the actual track surface?   TXDOT has used some of the permeable asphalt on 288 near our house and the stuff is awesome--- while new..   but it breaks up quickly under heavy traffic and must be repaved considerably more often than standard asphalt construction.  just curious what the overall plan there is??

Yeah - Livio is in it for the LONG HAUL....as a member (one of the handful that have stayed on through the transition - but MANY, MANY more have joined - once they saw the vision/passion/plan!!) I'm in it for the long haul too!

Livio can give you better details than I, but what you are looking at is the 2nd lift, the 3rd/final lift/top layer will be above that....they've actually got real engineering behind it, not the "well, you know, I think this will work...." mindset.

I wish this level of commitment was happening in my parts, a member I would be.  Alas I cannot support it as a member but hope to visit from time to time.  

10 hours ago, KevinDB said:

I wish this level of commitment was happening in my parts, a member I would be.  Alas I cannot support it as a member but hope to visit from time to time.  

Meanwhile, at MSR Houston, the various awnings that were damaged 18 months or so ago still haven't ben replaced.

We finished paving the surface course (!!!!!!!!!) of Phase 1 (roller coaster + segments into the straights for the back section) and repaving Pit Lane ... last Saturday. 

We never actually got our two dry weeks… but we did: 
·     Finish stub construction and paving of bottom 2 lifts, 
·     Cemented base, moved Start /Finish and paved pit lane, 
·     Completed 30 permeable asphalt drainage channels.
·     Repaved second lift for about 4,000 Linear feet.
·     AND … 4 days of consecutive paving to finish the surface coat. 

There is no doubt that the minute we finish construction we will enter a 10 year drought… but that will make for more driving. – so that’s ok !!! 

We are backfilling soil to the finished track elevation, have marked all curbings to cut the asphalt and will start cutting them next week. We are also working on some concrete surface drainage and are seeding, fertilizing and installing some erosion blankets. 

I clearly have to get out of the deadline business – because in my zeal to get back on track, I tend to simplify the crazy amounts of dirt and other work that needs to be done. I apologize for moving the goal post, but I can promise you everything we can is being done and moving quickly. 

Bottom line – we’re moving fast to get up and running, and surface coat paving is done. I was told we need the asphalt to cure for another 2-3 weeks, which is about what we will need to do the rest of the work on Roller Coaster. Construction on the back section will continue. We are doing what we can to keep the entrance viable during all this construction, so please drive in carefully if you come visit -- we'll take care of that too in due time !

5 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Here’s a video from this past Saturday on the newly redesigned 1.65 mile Roller Coaster at ECR!!!

Awesome!

Track looks great, looking forward to being up there in a couple of weeks with the SCCA. I like everything about it, except the name. Rollercoaster is already a corner on the 1.3 at MSR-C, I know they don't want to call it the short course but the duplicate naming irks me. I propose: Sidewinder, Twister, the Canyon, and ECR 1.5 as alternatives (I'm not overly attached to any but having 2 roller coasters bothers me).

OOOHH beautiful smooth track.  I really want to visit this track now.  I'm working on getting the car ready and hope to get some track time in this year.

12 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

Track looks great, looking forward to being up there in a couple of weeks with the SCCA. I like everything about it, except the name. Rollercoaster is already a corner on the 1.3 at MSR-C, I know they don't want to call it the short course but the duplicate naming irks me. I propose: Sidewinder, Twister, the Canyon, and ECR 1.5 as alternatives (I'm not overly attached to any but having 2 roller coasters bothers me).

Are you a member? You'll be OK....invest the millions and you can name it Sam's Slippery Slope....

15 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

The SCCA event was cancelled for July.  Sam, on a different subject, do you have a link to or can send me the COTA (SCCA Time Trials) best times for those that went?  Thanks.

Thanks for posting.  I'm a member and eagerly waiting.  It's been a long way for everyone involved.  

9 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

The SCCA event was cancelled for July.  Sam, on a different subject, do you have a link to or can send me the COTA (SCCA Time Trials) best times for those that went?  Thanks.

I just heard about the cancellation, I'm a little bummed but it was for good reasons. I'll link to the results as soon as they're posted for the COTA event, there were some fast cars.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, RUQWIKR said:

On race monitor app

19 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

On race monitor app

Found it online - thanks!  Thought you needed a phone app for it, which I don't have.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, El_Tortuga said:

On race monitor app

Those don't appear to be accurate. Either that or I am now three seconds faster than what was posted Saturday 🤠

4 hours ago, Mud_Duck said:

Those don't appear to be accurate. Either that or I am now three seconds faster than what was posted Saturday 🤠

They aren't accurate, especially if you and someone else had duplicate numbers.