RUQWIKR

ECR improvements - can we get regular updates in here?

Has the layout been updated/changed since the one I posted on page 1?

The updates look really exciting. Still think I'm going to end up getting membership at Cresson instead though. 25 mins away as opposed to 1hr for ECR.

Has the layout been updated/changed since the one I posted on page 1?

The updates look really exciting. Still think I'm going to end up getting membership at Cresson instead though. 25 mins away as opposed to 1hr for ECR.

Being close to a track does have a lot of value.

Jeff

About 5:45 this evening I noticed Brad's post above about Cigars and Racecars tonight.  I don't live far from Grapevine so I decided to go to my first get together.  I started HPDE a year ago, and although everyone else had a lot more experience including racing they were all very welcoming. 

Gradually things changed during the second hour.  It was explained to me that street cars do no belong at the track, and that I needed to buy a racecar!  No two ways about it.  

I have done the bulk of my driving at Cresson and really enjoy the track and it suits my car well as there are not long straights.  On the other hand I really like the owners at ECR and how focused they are on doing everything they can for the drivers.  In any event, I came home and filled out my membership application to ECR.   I did not look online at racecars though.

Thanks guys it was great meeting you all tonight.

Jeff

Jeff: THANK YOU for coming out to Cigars n Racecars tonight!! A pleasure to meet you!! Nothing wrong at all with street cars! But once you get seriously addicted, my opinion, a dedicated track/race car is the way to go. Just my perspective, you’ve got a bad to the bone street/track car. Take what our table advises with a few grains of salt though. We are pretty hardcore. First and foremost, welcome to the ECR family!!!! Looking forward to seeing you on track!!

All the best,

Brad

Update from ECR, gotta say, it brought a tear to my eye...or maybe a bug got in there....

It’s been a remarkable year at ECR; but 2019 will be even more special. 

Just over a year ago, we started the impossible journey of re-thinking, re-engineering… re-imagining ECR. 

The goal was never to just bring it ‘back’. It was, and is, to express ECR’s full potential and set a new benchmark for what a track and community of driving enthusiasts can be. 

We made incredible progress ; we still have soooooo much to do. We will need your continued support and help to make more magic happen. 

As of December 22nd– we had almost all of the Base 2 Asphalt course (1200 LF to go) done. High winds prevented us from doing the last stretch, but it will only take one day in the new year. 

The 2ndof three asphalt lifts for Phase 1 is basically done. It was paved in Echelon (pavers side by side - see picture), so you will struggle to find a seam. 

It is not the final product… one more very special layer to go…. but it is already amazing to drive on (ask me how I know – it will be our secret). 

Hard to describe in words how much more fun ECR is on a smooth, predictable, properly profiled, cambered and mono-sloped surface. Its game-changing. ECR is now also engineered and set up to drive in both directions – even more game-changing. And the new crossover (5C) is sure to help redefine your max heart rate. 

Like you – I can’t freaking wait. 

The good news is – heat always comes to Texas, and we need 3-4 days of 70+ to put the final coat down. For those that missed the last update -- the surface coat is a special granite aggregate based super-pave design, conceived by our friends at TSIT labs. They tell me it will be even smoother, better riding, stiffer and grippier than Base Coat 2. 

If the race gods are with us, we will continue construction on Phase 2 and should be able to pave the surface coat on both Phase 1 & 2 together -- probably in April. We will then start Phase 3 and some work on the off road tracks. I realize some of this scheduling is confusing. We will provide some more technical updates for those of you that like the detail. Suffice it to say -- we pave the surface coat... and can drive the snot out of it while the rest gets more and more awesome. 

But the track, the facilities, the grounds – are just the hardware. 

The passion of each and every one of the members and staff is what will continue to make the real difference. 

Thank you for your support – and fasten your seatbelts for a fast 2019!!!! 

Your Friends at ECR. 

Ok all here's the latest....

S.gif

I’ll say it for you – waiting sucks.

You folks are much smarter and more patient than I am. 

We get all these notes of encouragement:

“Hang in there”.., “We’re with you all the way”, “do it right”, “good things come to those who wait”, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”

Yes -- It’s built to last, and it will be world class. Every inch of the track is reconstructed from scratch. My Bank Account is very angry at me – it’s taken longer and been a much bigger investment than planned. And Yes… I know, “It’s worth it” (hopefully that doesn’t end up being the copy on my pan-handling sign) 

But we do it for the joy of driving… so we, too, want the driving part !! 

Our second asphalt base course on Roller Coaster (our new name for the 1.65 Mile track) is done

So we have a full loop with fresh surface; not the final surface… but a very good surface (a million times better than what we had). As you will recall, we need to wait ([email protected]#$%^!!!) for warmer weather for the swanky final 2” coat. 

We will install a few curbings (turn 11 and turn 3) in the next weeks to test the structure and length. They are FIA spec, smooth, 8 inches of concrete. Since they will be 2 inches higher than the current track… (waiting for the surface coat) we have to install the balance after the final asphalt lift. 

We are continuing endless backfill and drainage work – to protect our baby. 

And now for the fun part….

The time has come to give our patient members a taste of what we will get. We have mixed feelings, because it will be significantly better in the end… but its sooo dang good we have to give you a taste.

So – we will be hosting some Taxi rides. Because several elements are not final, we cannot yet allow folks to ‘beta-test’ their own cars. We will evaluate that option in the next months. But for now you get to ride with us. 

It’s just a taste, and we will have to alternate groups and individuals depending on the day.. We will set up invitations to all of you for that to happen. 

So – stand by… and pray for lots of warm weather. 

Your Friends at ECR

3f8ce6f8-4750-4872-b8c1-66c963e6554b.jpg

S.gif

Has a birds eye map of the final layout been shared yet?

Not that i'm aware of.  There has been drone footage taken back in December but not sure where all the footage is.  I'm hoping the garage builds start soon because i need one, bad.  

To members that were at the meeting....yes - amazeballs!!!!

To members that were at the meeting....yes - amazeballs!!!!

Yeah missed that one.  Haven't been there in awhile.

There's a sketch on page 1 of this thread if you've forgotten.   Not sure if that's where they still are on configuration, but it looked promisingly fun. :)

All quiet . . .

Nope.  Members got an email yesterday and they're doing rides today.  Still waiting on several warm days for the top coat.  

Any update?  Been very quiet.  Seen a few cancellations of events in 2Q19.  I know the weather hasn't been the best to get the work done.

They're just waiting on the weather to finish the last layer and put on the final touches. It's been unseasonably cold though so they still have to wait until it warms up and stays dry. They need a week of dry weather above 70F.

:laugh:

pie in the sky!!!

Seriously, this time of year in the Denton area - not likely. Starting in April it's likely you'll get a stretch that'll meet that as long as you don't care what the low is on one or two occasional cool nights.

well they kinda knew this would happen if the work pushed out past early october or so, and then the rains came in september-ish..  then it got cold..  so they knew this was a possiblity.

SCCA just cancelled their may/june race at ECR and moved it to COTA.  I'm assuming this is a reaction to a notice or possible pre-emptive action to ensure there wouldn't be a last-minute cancellation and scramble to try to fill a premium May/June race slot where the locals count on a race around memorial day.

I'm patiently waiting (and working too hard to get a car ready so it doesn't matter anyway), but man I really want to see this thing finish!

Me too!!!!!! Cannot wait to spend every free weekend out there and put some fresh rubber down!!!!

Me too!!!!!! Cannot wait to spend every free weekend out there and put some fresh rubber down!!!!

I know you are in touch with the guys at ECR.  Do you know what their plans are for adding more garages for members?  Thinking about becoming a member at MSR-C or ECR.  Thanks.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, RUQWIKR said:

I know you are in touch with the guys at ECR.  Do you know what their plans are for adding more garages for members?  Thinking about becoming a member at MSR-C or ECR.  Thanks.

Yes - they are definitely planning on more garages! And other things....but in due time - first priority is THE TRACK - that is THE OBSESSION! The GOAL!! Wife and I are equidistant time/milage-wise from both Cresson and ECR....we opted for ECR. It's a proper RACE track, not a CLUB track - huge difference. Nothing at all wrong with a club track - if that's what you want. Join up at ECR now while the getting is good - price will jump (if it hasn't already...). Happy to have you as my guest if you are on the fence (once the track is open).

26 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

Yes - they are definitely planning on more garages! And other things....but in due time - first priority is THE TRACK - that is THE OBSESSION! The GOAL!! Wife and I are equidistant time/milage-wise from both Cresson and ECR....we opted for ECR. It's a proper RACE track, not a CLUB track - huge difference. Nothing at all wrong with a club track - if that's what you want. Join up at ECR now while the getting is good - price will jump (if it hasn't already...). Happy to have you as my guest if you are on the fence (once the track is open).

Same here, 70 mins give or take to either for me.  After driving Cresson for 6+ years i was tired of it and decided to join ECR last year and be part of this journey.  I'm going to get a garage to share with another member and also look forward to the updated off road course to take my Bronco on.