RUQWIKR

ECR improvements - can we get regular updates in here?

I'm afraid I might already know the answer with this unprecedented amount of rain, but has anybody heard or seen anything lately?

I'm afraid I might already know the answer with this unprecedented amount of rain, but has anybody heard or seen anything lately?

muuudddd.   everywhere.

After the rain I saw at DKC over the weekend, I would expect that ECR is at a standstill until the ground dries up a little.   

Email received today:

Giant machines chewing up asphalt and dirt, cutting slabs of limestone --- and then drying, compacting, grading, stabilizing.

100,000 tons of dirt moved and counting, miles of drains and culverts installed.

Holy construction mayhem Batman!

Eagles Canyon 2.0 is so much more than just a re-do – we are reshaping and reimagining the place.

It is also an epic battle against the elements.

This is an update of where we are; it is a good news, bad news story.

The bad news is simple – look out your window at the weather. We have had the wettest September on record, and October is even wetter so far; it has set us weeks behind – and put us in a difficult position for the paving as the temperatures get colder. We knew this was a risk going in and we ‘ll have to fight our way through. Things have held up remarkably well, given the rain – a testament to the quality of what is being done.

The good news is: we are fighting like lions. Our partners, our plan – is just getting better and better. The passion and the quality of our team is incredible and that is precisely why the weather doesn’t scare us. We can’t control it, but we can control how we execute the final product, and we will get there.

So – we fight on. Our goal is to do everything we can to finish Phase 1 in November; but we need enough dry days and then some days over 70… to get it all done. We will keep you posted and organize a town hall sometime soon to have a ‘live’ discussion.

We really, really appreciate the support you have all showed us. It is heavy lifting on all fronts to get this done. A huge investment, and a huge undertaking.

It will be incredibly special once it is done. We hate overpromising – so you will have to see some of this for yourself when it is complete… but I can assure you we are cutting no corners. This will be done right, and you will be very proud to be one of the core members that made it possible.

Latest update from Facebook:

What does 25.000 Square Yards of Geotech look like ? Well, a biiiig blue metallic blanket to give structure and keep moisture away from our new track. Pinned tight to our cement stabilized sub-base.

Its kind of a shame to cover it up with the next layer!

https://www.facebook.com/106748756058/posts/10155510338536059/

As WRL, SCCA, and NASA (???) Schedules come together, it looks like this is gonna be a pretty popular place!  Hope I can figure out how to get quick there...

As WRL, SCCA, and NASA (???) Schedules come together, it looks like this is gonna be a pretty popular place!  Hope I can figure out how to get quick there...

Definitely looking forward to doing club racing there, WRL's addition was an awesome treat.

As WRL, SCCA, and NASA (???) Schedules come together, it looks like this is gonna be a pretty popular place! Hope I can figure out how to get quick there...

Buy my #13 Camaro and I’ll include a full day of coaching with Max Nufer...

Visited ECR yesterday...y’all will not believe how amazing it is and how crazy AWESOME it is going to be!!! I know most of y’all have a love affair with Cresson, but that’s about to change...y’all need to pony up and join ECR now...before prices go up!!

Visited ECR yesterday...y’all will not believe how amazing it is and how crazy AWESOME it is going to be!!! I know most of y’all have a love affair with Cresson, but that’s about to change...y’all need to pony up and join ECR now...before prices go up!!

It's about another hour for me AND that takes me through the heart of Dallas... but it does look like it is going to be amazing. Definitely going to have to make it up there to play once it is done.

it's a long dang way for me..  roughly a 6-7hr tow as I have to go straight through both Houston and Dallas metro areas.  there's not a great time to tow through both of them without hitting one of them at rush hour...

ECR emailed out an update:

I will admit it – I had no earthly idea of the scope, scale and depth of the project we jumped into. 

But I don’t think any of us get into a car or a bike on a track because we like predictable…; we do it because we stubbornly reach for greatness. It’s hard to come by… but when we catch a glimpse of it… it becomes a fresh dose to feed the addiction. I am a fellow addict, that’s all. 

Please come visit ECR and you will understand. 

We elected to reconstruct every single section of the track. None of it will be the same; it will be: 
  • Re-profiled (how the profile goes up and down – no more weird dips and bumps), 
  • Re-cambered (how it slants side to side) 
  • On a true mono-slope (uniform slope from one edge to the other). 
It will feel familiar but be a totally different driving experience. 
It will be how it was meant to be… but never really was. 

Here’s where we are: 
  • We are finished with most base work (it finally stopped raining..) for Phase 1 – the 1.6 Track. 
  • We built a multi-layered structure that includes cement in subgrade, a cement stabilized sub-base, Geotech fabric, and carefully executed new flex base – in several lifts. Every step of the way tested against lab standards. A GARGANTUAN project. 
  • We are doing three 2” lifts of asphalt – 2 Base, 1 Surface. (by the way…that’s a big deal) 
  • We have put the Base1 course of asphalt on about 2/3 of the track. 
  • By Next week – The track will be ready to complete Base1 and start Base2. We expect to have Base2 finished in December.
  • We have moved 175,000 tons of dirt and counting for better drainage and run-offs. No more Armco on 1, on 5, 7-8. No tire Wall on 9. Armco on 11 will be moved back. We will be able to run the track in both directions. 
  • We have installed over 2.5 miles of French Drains, 500 Feet of culverts. Fighting very hard to control the water. 

Our Surface coat is special, and we will need 4-5 days of over 70 Degree weather to lay the asphalt. We are not going to risk it – that part will have to wait. The rain set us back two months, and we ran out of heat. We may allow some selective ‘beta testing’ by members on Base2. 

We will begin work on Phase 2 (re-engineered existing 2.4 track) in January. All the design work and construction plan is ready. 

Phase 3 (new sweeping section – separate back loop) should be later in the year. 

This investment adds an insane amount of value to ECR. So you will be glad to hear that we will be updating our Membership initiation fees and dues as of Jan 1, 2019. 
  • Initiation – will increase to $5,000
  • Monthly dues will increase to $250 

For those signed up before that date we will, as promised, hold monthly dues ‘frozen’ until Jan 1, 2020. And your membership just became more valuable and will continue to do so. 

We appreciate the support. Please come out and see the progress at your track – it’s worth the trip. 

Best,

Your Friends at ECR. 

It's a BEAUTIFUL thing - I've been making regular trips out there and the progress is AMAZING!!! If you are even halfway interested in joining - DO IT NOW!!!

It's a BEAUTIFUL thing - I've been making regular trips out there and the progress is AMAZING!!! If you are even halfway interested in joining - DO IT NOW!!!

Can you still get memberships at the old initiation fee until Jan 1, 2019?

Wow.

that's a HUGE project-  way more than what I recall being talked about to begin with.  just..  wow.    thank you to the folks at ECR for making that investment!  I just wish it wasn't a >6hr drive for me to get there! :( :(

Can you still get memberships at the old initiation fee until Jan 1, 2019?

that's the way I read it. 

I was out there last weekend working and it is amazing what they are doing. Thank you ECR!

You should show up at Cigars n Racecars tonight...might be able to have a one on one convo....maybe....

I joined this week after taking a look last Saturday.  Looking forward to them re-opening in 2019.....and getting a garage one day.

I joined this week after taking a look last Saturday.  Looking forward to them re-opening in 2019.....and getting a garage one day.

AWESOME!! Congrats!!!