Matt93SE

"Quality" of BC racing coilovers?

You know, in relation of:

1 being "my kids radio flyer has better suspension"

to 

10 being "Pro LMP2 Ligier driver wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these and his digressives in a 10 lap shootout"

....   So I bought another G35 coupe (this makes the 3rd Z/G sitting in my driveway now..) at auction today because I saw Brembos in the photos..  I tow it home and holy carp..   look underneath and it's got the Brembos, BC coilovers, plenum spacer, intake, some sort of exhaust on it..  who knows what else..

Based on the price point of these things, I'm betting they're like every other entry level JDM-y0 setup out there, but thought I'd ask before I dumped them on the interwebs..

I have them on my E28 race car, but that's because they're the highest quality coil-overs you can get before you step into the $7-8k custom shock range for my car. I have been pretty happy with them, but I don't really have any other reference point on my car other than they are better than the stock suspension I had on the car. It's not something I would worry too much about unless the install looks unsafe.

I ran BC on my S2000 for the longest. They are some of the better over the counter budget coilovers. I generally had to run them at around 15 clicks from full soft to avoid jacking. They don't do well with bumpy tracks. Enjoy!

I'm actually surprised with BC coils, i had a car with KW v3's, was rear ended and totalled, then bought the same car with BC's on them. They rode and tracked well for the price point. Would buy again. 

Granted, my opinion doesn't include consistency after x lap or servicibility, replacement parts, or how the digressiviness of the kneeeeeee is. Who knows it could be worser than other brands. but for car that will be a daily and maybe 1/2 track weekends a year and 91% more funner than an s2000, i'd definitely buy them.

I figured as much.  Given the price point, these won't be spectacular.  probably about the same as my old KTS on my 240sx..  I'm still considering building one of these cars for a track toy or parting it out and selling off the pieces. for the occasional track toy, it might be a start.  but I might also just sell it and put my OEM original G35 shit on there and then sell the car. :)

Yea, I’d say a step up from the really crappy Godspeed etc no name $550 shipped jobbers. Probably comparable in quality and performance to your KTS. Cheap damper with a modicum of quality control and thought behind the valving.

...then again, you’re not a LMP2 Ligier driver, so you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between solid steel rods or Quantum through body shocks.

...then again, you’re not a LMP2 Ligier driver, so you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between solid steel rods or Quantum through body shocks.

I love this bar.

I have them on my E28 race car, but that's because they're the highest quality coil-overs you can get before you step into the $7-8k custom shock range for my car.

I will respectfully disagree. There are loads of German/Swedish/Dutch/American made coilovers in the $2-3K range that have a LOT better quality and performance than the eBay / China quality you get with BC. Don't let flashy advertisements or "drift teams" promoting these fool you into thinking these aren't garbage.

i-2jtmMCt-S.jpgi-rqjB2Z3-S.jpg

We see a lot of cars with coilovers come into our shop. I have yet to see a car with BCs that didn't have AT LEAST one that had failed. I have the same experience with Koni Yellows - have replaced dozens of sets with proper monotubes, and at least one Koni is dead, usually two, but the owner usually has no idea.

PA101406-L.jpg

We had an E46 ZHP in recently, test drove it and of course one was dead. Put it on the lift was shocked at HOW LITTLE TRAVEL the BC coilovers have. That was FULL DROOP! :huh: Its for the #StanceInMyPants crowd, only. These things are not winning competitive events in real numbers.

i-V58WjrN-M.jpg

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" applies to coilovers, and anything under $1500 is made in one place: CHINA. In a factory with people who have never seen or driven your type of car. They use the "one size fits all" damper insert with the "adjustable body" trick to make the same damper fit multiple cars. This is a huge short cut, a gimmick to save them money, not a "feature". Having dyno'd many Chinese shocks, well, its laughable. The knobs don't even do anything on most of this stuff.

i-SpTmBS8-L.jpg

The fact is - people are cheap. And people want to have their cheap car purchases affirmed as good choices. Not gonna get that from me, but Facebook groups and Instagram kiddies sure will. :tongue:

Hugs and kisses,

Terry, I can't tell if you're endorsing or dissing the Fortune Auto stuff...?

It's clear that he has an opinion about it.

Also, he likes Konis, a lot.

how can you not know you have a blown shock?

I had good luck with BC Racing BR series (the single adjustable, cheapest crap version) for 15k very hard miles on the Mazdaspeed3.  Yeah the droop/travel was pathetic.  But they were pretty smooth overall and of all places were decent enough to keep the Mazda from flying off the bumpy H2R. They were better than the stock shocks in this case, that were prone to bad jacking issues way too early in their lifespan.   I stopped running them because one of the sway bar mounts (on the BC) broke from the punishment.  

Here is a crap video from 2009 at H2R, watching a stock suspended EVOX while I smugly follow in my BC Racing best suspension ever Mazdaspeed3 (lots of jk's there):

Terry, I can't tell if you're endorsing or dissing the Fortune Auto stuff...?

He's calling then China shocks, because they are despite having stateside presence. Just a BC with custom valving like MeisterR.

Not trying to spam this thread, and definitely would not encourage anyone to buy BC Racing suspension - get some Bils and springs, or KWv3 or...etc. 

I do want to add more commentary since I had a lot of track miles on a set of the BC BR, and I'm sober now vs. my vodka fueled post last night...

I'd be hard pressed to say my 'murica Ridetech coilovers are much better if any better than the BC's.  Sure the Ridetechs are Hyperco springs over single adjustable Fox shocks.  Sounds like a good combo hey?  But It doesn't feel all that great, and not 2x better (price is 2x...)

Caveat - I ran the BC Racing BR on a 2008 Mazdaspeed3, I'm running the Ridetechs on a 2013 Camaro.

The 30 whatever adjustable settings on the BC - hah yeah BS, however - the setting changes made very noticeable difference when going from soft to medium to hard.  3 effective settings IMO - and it worked well.  Soft street was surprisingly compliant - with the only NVH / harshness when hitting a sharp 2x4 type of bump.  My Ridetechs are much the same. 30something clicks but it's not gonna do much noticeable with a click or 2.

The BCs were solidly made, and with good material.  Camber adjustable pillow ball mounts included.  They were working perfectly many hard laps and 15k miles total later when I broke one of the sway bar mount tabs.  Easily fixable.  They still looked good as well, no corrosion, no leaks etc.  No crappy rust prone hardware anywhere.

Let me give a real world example.  I was at H2R in the Speed3, same weekend as Cobb was out with their shop Speed3.  Same basic boltons and OTS cobb tune on my car as Cobbs (approx 255whp) - with a key difference in that I was running the BCs, Cobb had their branded springs with stock shocks.  (and tire difference)

Cobb's driver managed to dip into the 1.32s, but to get there was a challenge, and he spun off in the dam turn due to OEM shock jacking.  They just don't hold up under multiple impacts.

This isn't about the lap time comparison, but the controllability of the car - they were struggling all over the track, fighting the car everywhere.

I ran 1.30's comfortably with a best of 1.29 that day, no bad suspension behavior at all.  My only issue was overheating brakes.  Granted they were running RE-71's and I had NT01 - thats the 2+ second difference accounted for.

Fwiw I was running in the 1.32s comfortably when I ran the 71 also so as drivers in the same car we were comparable, but I was never fighting the car to stay on track.

What is my point in all this?  If you have pretty junky OEM shocks, are on a tight budget, then yeah ok BC BR will probably be an improvement.

**My BC Racing experience was from a set I purchased new from BC Racing, in 2008, for $1k. 

Frankly, I'm less likely to recommend the $2200 Ridetech HQ's for the Camaro - glad I didn't pay anywhere near that price for them.  I'll give them a year and see if I want to keep them around.  After that will be something "real" like Ohlins, MCS or similar.

What is my point in all this?  If you have pretty junky OEM shocks, are on a tight budget, then yeah ok BC BR will probably be an improvement.

**My BC Racing experience was from a set I purchased new from BC Racing, in 2008, for $1k. 

Frankly, I'm less likely to recommend the $2200 Ridetech HQ's for the Camaro - glad I didn't pay anywhere near that price for them.  I'll give them a year and see if I want to keep them around.  After that will be something "real" like Ohlins, MCS or similar.

In my case, the BCs are free because they were installed on a car I bought at auction.   I also have a set of 2000 mile-old OEM shocks (i.e. pretty much new) to throw on the car if I wanted to tear it apart and sell it.

But as the thread pretty much confirmed my suspicion, the BCs are just another $1000 JDM-y0! setup.   all pretty much built in the same factory by the same 10 yr old, just using different colored anodized parts and different stickers on the outside.

I'm debating whether to strip this car and track it, part it out and stuff the heart in my 240SX, or put a new front bumper on it and sell it for a profit...   or a combination thereof..   I have stock brakes and shocks from my G35 I could stick on it and sell the Brembos and BC setup for a nice margin, and it wouldn't affect the selling price of the rear of the car because it's a salvage title anyway...

In my case, the BCs are free because they were installed on a car I bought at auction.   I also have a set of 2000 mile-old OEM shocks (i.e. pretty much new) to throw on the car if I wanted to tear it apart and sell it.

But as the thread pretty much confirmed my suspicion, the BCs are just another $1000 JDM-y0! setup.   all pretty much built in the same factory by the same 10 yr old, just using different colored anodized parts and different stickers on the outside.

I'm debating whether to strip this car and track it, part it out and stuff the heart in my 240SX, or put a new front bumper on it and sell it for a profit...   or a combination thereof..   I have stock brakes and shocks from my G35 I could stick on it and sell the Brembos and BC setup for a nice margin, and it wouldn't affect the selling price of the rear of the car because it's a salvage title anyway...

Lol.  Yeah no telling if they are in any shape to use.  I would say the BC Racing (not Buddy club, better than those too) are better than Stance yo coilovers that I also unfortunately tested out.  Hell mine even came dyno matched with the sheet.

Back then BC Racing was also willing to rebuild for $100/each

To beat this horse to death, one last time - here is an example of a 1.30-ish pace, in the speed3 on BCs, at H2R CW chasing our very own Chris S in his Miata back in 2010 :)

I would argue if your (based on) Fox shocks aren't notably better than BC's, then the company that spec'd them did a terrible job or your shocks are busted. All of these taiwan dampers are basically the same, minus different colors, with poor QC (to include actual valving). That they're better than stock suspension jacking down says little, just that stock suspension is crappy. I'm running Xidas (Tractives) that are spec'd specifically for my chassis (NA/NB Miata's) with known good valving. They ride and perform head and shoulders better than my previous Koni Sports, which I'd take over BC's any day of the week.

I would argue if your (based on) Fox shocks aren't notably better than BC's, then the company that spec'd them did a terrible job or your shocks are busted. All of these taiwan dampers are basically the same, minus different colors, with poor QC (to include actual valving). That they're better than stock suspension jacking down says little, just that stock suspension is crappy. I'm running Xidas (Tractives) that are spec'd specifically for my chassis (NA/NB Miata's) with known good valving. They ride and perform head and shoulders better than my previous Koni Sports, which I'd take over BC's any day of the week.

All valid points.  I have no desire to defend BC Racing products in general.  They served me well enough for the purpose and for the price, better than expected (expectations were low).   My point about my current set of Ridetech coilovers on my Camaro, is that they are not dramatically better, at least as much as I recall - than the BC's performance and ride quality were on the Speed3.  Not the best comparison, different cars, and a gap of 7 years between...so yeah.  Did Ridetech get it wrong?  I dunno.  They don't feel wrong, and are arguably better than the not bad at all OEM 1LE suspension they replaced.  Maybe I'm just not that sensitive to the subtleties as I should be.  I do tend to overdrive, and drive around issues rather than meticulously sort a car or bike the way they should be.  

The Buddy Club/Megan/Stance/etc level of cheap is a lower quality than the BC Racing level of cheap.  To lump them all together...while a fair assumption, is just that.  There is a difference - I mean it's like natty light vs coors light.   :cool:

Maybe they've gone down hill since what I purchased in '08.  And clearly their primary market is indeed the stance-yo kids.

I think most probably know this, but in light of this topic, I'll put it out there - when it comes to overseas manufacturing - you can pay the same factory that makes crappy xyz product (which is made to the price point and as spec'd) to manufacture product to a higher level with a higher level of QC and of course a higher cost. It's not that said factory is incapable, it's that they have different levels of service, with different levels of cost. This is how you convince people to pay $10k for a mountain bike, with a frame made in Taiwan next to all the other $20 frames....