Hollywood

SM Switches to Penske Shocks

In an attempt to get this thread back on the rails, let me ask this.

Would the Penske SM shock and spring setup be a good choice for my 01 TT Miata? My car won't ever be a Spec Miata. But at $1000, those Penske's are half the cost of Xidas or Fox dampers.

After you add coilover sleeves and proper spring rates, no. If coming from a budget billie setup and changing nothing, maybe. The best one stop shop is still Xidas. Known good valving for up to 1000+lbs springs, adjustable damping, dual spring setup, aluminum + threaded body = running cooler than coilover sleeve, etc.

Pretty much agree on the above.

if you already have a SM shock setup with sleeves, mounts, etc..  then *maybe* the Penskes will be a decent option and I'd recommend waiting for someone like a Drago, Halderman, or Steyn to weigh in on the difference since they all run multiple cars and will likely run various setups on track on a regular basis. 

But if you're going from a stock setup, I would say a proven complete coilover setup would be the way to go.  The Penskes as a retrofit shock will be somewhat of a compromise intended to be a "relatively bolt in" replacement of the existing SM setup, not a complete slash n burn n start over thing.

He wouldn't be going from stock, but I don't think anything other than springs would carry over and VMAXX are too softly sprung for current 200/100tw tires anyways. Won't get any better on 40tw when he gets there. We're talking 900-1000# fronts once you get into Toyo RR/Hoosier territory.

Would the Penske SM shock and spring setup be a good choice for my 01 TT Miata?  My car won't ever be a Spec Miata.  But at $1000, those Penske's are half the cost of Xidas or Fox dampers.

I had Xidas when I ran TT, Gen 1 ASTs. I put them on because I never heard of anyone anywhere take them off because they were disappointed with the performance. I'd rather do the job once, because doing it over is costly.

They work, paired with the proper spring rates and sways, Don't forget to factor in the cost of a professional race corner balance, ride height setting and alignment.

However, if you ever plan on moving to SM, don't spend any money on anything that isn't class legal. The goal of the Penskes is provide the proper dampening for the 700/350 springs that the Bilsteins did not. We'll see.

For SM, everyone will be on the same equipment, so setup will be the only differences.

For TT, Xidas are the way I went.

Not gonna find many hippies that enjoy burning fossil fuels for shits n' gigs. Will find plenty of dude bro's ready to shotgun beers and play some eFisticuffs, though #comeatmebro

Also RKW can pedal his bike around a track faster than he can drive around it, so take that for what it's worth.

PENSKE RACING SHOCKS Q&A (@@HispanicPanic)

Mazda Motorsports, Penske Racing Shocks, NASA, SCCA, Randy Pobst, John Dean and Joel Miller invite the entire Mazda racing community to join us for a webinar from 2:00 – 3:00 pm (ET) this Thurs, Aug 23 for Q&A about the move to Penske Racing Shocks. To register, click here. We welcome your questions, and ask you to submit them via clicking here by tomorrow.

Guest lobster

I always perused this site because it supports open discussions and mostly constructive criticism. We need more hippies on here spreading the love.

“More hippies” is never an answer to any question that should be asked

Not gonna find many hippies that enjoy burning fossil fuels for shits n' gigs.

Agreed. However this is a rare gearhead board that holds the perfect balance of GenX Hippies and Millennial Bros for just the right mix of boldness, outrageousness and mutual appreciation. Moderation in all things makes for a happy life as my grandma used to say. That's why I love everyone in this bar...even Richard.