strengthrehab

Anyone doing Advanced Instruction with TDE in October?

Anyone? I know most here dont need instructors, but I'm using it to get more personalized, focused attention to my needs.

When you put it that way I picture someone taking you out to a candle lit dinner, rubbing your shoulders whilst sitting on the couch, and leaving rose petals leading to a hot bath..

When you put it that way I picture someone taking you out to a candle lit dinner, rubbing your shoulders whilst sitting on the couch, and leaving rose petals leading to a hot bath..

If that's what it takes to make me drive better, I'm willing to try it...

Anyone? I know most here dont need instructors, but I'm using it to get more personalized, focused attention to my needs.

Thanks for the reminder. I have signed up for the event. I am one step closer to my goal wearing out the Miata tires before they dry rot . Now that my son is driving I need to increase my track time to stay under his lap times. Btw who is faster hastarock or Hollywood?

Can't pass up an opportunity to get on the track in October.  I just hope we run CW for a change.  Is this the first time they have done one of these advanced events?  Seems like a spur of the moment event.

I do special instructing....on the full motion sim...is it really full motion...or is it something else? ha! Butt seriously I did a back rub for my wife while she was driving COTA the other night...were the lights on, were they on? I'll never tell.....  :tongue:

I am sure my instruction will reveal that I do not look down the track that I have limited car control skills and that a fear of death prevents me from tossing the Miata into a corner at 80 mph.

So far this cycle only seems to be broken when a Mini Cooper passes me and I get the red mist that diminishes my fear of death and gets me to toss the Miata into the corner at 70 mph and use all of my available car control skills to keep the Miata on the track.

Perhaps they have developed a simulated Mini Cooper that will be projected in front of my Miata using a heads up display.

I am sure my instruction will reveal that I do not look down the track that I have limited car control skills and that a fear of death prevents me from tossing the Miata into a corner at 80 mph.

I think it was Hunter S. Thompson that said "faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"

It’s funny you bring this up...one of my biggest improvements/breakthrough moments was chasing down a competitor in a race at ECR...he was faster through T4...I braked...he didn’t...I sucked it up and kept on the gas...it was such an uncomfortable feeling...but oh so much faster!! Having someone to chase helps so much!! I almost think that gridding by lap times would be helpful in advanced Track Day groups.

So far this cycle only seems to be broken when a Mini Cooper passes me and I get the red mist that diminishes my fear of death and gets me to toss the Miata into the corner at 70 mph and use all of my available car control skills to keep the Miata on the track.

Perhaps they have developed a simulated Mini Cooper that will be projected in front of my Miata using a heads up display.

It’s funny you bring this up...one of my biggest improvements/breakthrough moments was chasing down a competitor in a race at ECR...he was faster through T4...I braked...he didn’t...I sucked it up and kept on the gas...it was such an uncomfortable feeling...but oh so much faster!! Having someone to chase helps so much!! I almost think that gridding by lap times would be helpful in advanced Track Day groups.

You brake at 4?  WUSS.

You brake at 4?  WUSS.

used to...but I'm gonna guess I'm going just a tad faster...LOL!

Having someone to chase helps so much!! I almost think that gridding by lap times would be helpful in advanced Track Day groups.

It's easy to do, just line up behind the guy that passes, but doesn't flat out run away from you.

I try to do it frequently. More frequently, I then back up and switch lanes because I'm embarrassed that car was a Miata...that "smokes like a blue hair on a heater at the penny slots in Reno "... and sounds like it is on 3 cylinders... and they're full of marbles.

It's easy to do, just line up behind the guy that passes, but doesn't flat out run away from you.

I try to do it frequently. More frequently, I then back up and switch lanes because I'm embarrassed that car was a Miata...that "smokes like a blue hair on a heater at the penny slots in Reno "... and sounds like it is on 3 cylinders... and they're full of marbles.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

At some point I became aware thAt the mass of the instructor had a greater impact on my lap times than the advice being provided.

At some point I became aware thAt the mass of the instructor had a greater impact on my lap times than the advice being provided.

As an instructor with very a very large mass - I'm actually surprised at how fast my students go - let's just say that weight transfer is quicker on one side.....lol.....butt seriously.....I've got a great assamometer...I can feel if the student is going to "make" the corner....the ass knows....if you're slow, half-fast, etc....coaching a buddy of mine - "That's as fast as I can go...." - NOPE!!!!!! Got him to push more, get the slip angle on....2 seconds a lap faster....even with my large mass!

All joking aside, I wouldn't mind having someone (regardless of mass) that can hustle a car, ride with me and give me some pointers at this event. The paintjob on my cage might be allllllmost dry by October at this relative humidity. If not, you get a free buzz out of the deal!  

Please do not take any references to instructor mass personally. I have had many good instructors that have provided excellent information. I have had some advanced instruction to help me become a better driver. In my case the first thing I notice is that with another 150 to 250 lbs in a light car like an s2000 or now a Miata with a 1.6 liter is that the car is slower to accelerate , harder to get slowed down for a corner , is more difficult to get around corners. All things that slow me down.

I tend to watch track lap videos from folks like Robert to learn the lines and breaking points. For me car feel and car control are elusive things that do not come naturally and seem to come and go proportionally to my track time during certain periods.

For example I have run mid pack in the red run group before when I have been able to go to the track 6 x per year. When I have reduced that to 1x a year I am back in yellow looking for the confidence in myself and my car that will lead to lower lap times and better driving.

Please do not take any references to instructor mass personally.

None taken, seriously....butt that's one of the reasons I tend to choose students with fast cars (plus I like the room - Miata, not so much got my racing license in a torture/iron maiden-type device known as a Spec Piñata...not an enjoyable experience, for me anyway! LOL).

But I've lost some weight since then . . .

now I'll just throw off your corner balance.

But I've lost some weight since then . . .

now I'll just throw off your corner balance.

You're welcome to come and give me pointers. Hell, I'll give you some scrap metal ballast you can place around the car at your discretion, corner balance be damned! Just help make me quicker :)