MoonieGT

Looking for suggestions: DD w/ back seat that can do 1-2 track events a year

and in my mirror. Please remember to anticipate faster traffic and clearly indicate your point bys.

I usually have problems with higher powered but slower cars not giving point-bys. This is one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/LZYZcWSeBtk?t=11m56s

Club Trials are competitive and the blue flags are mandatory, the E46 was stripped, caged, and on slicks. I've got a full interior and was on 'street' tires.

I usually have problems with higher powered but slower cars not giving point-bys...

That ish is the worst - painting their bumper in anything resembling a corner, then they pull a bit on the straight, reel them in, have to slow down rinse, repeat.

Gotta love the point by andddddd then FULL THROTTLE!!!! At least he eventually let you by, I'm not ways that lucky lol

An S2000 is so much more enjoyable on track than an anywhere near stock BRZ/FRS it's not even a contest. Have you even been in both of those cars on track driven at a reasonable speed? 

An S2000 is also not hard to drive on track... It's not a great daily, but it's way better on track than the Toybaru twins. 

An S2000 is also not hard to drive on track... It's not a great daily, but it's way better on track than the Toybaru twins. 

I think an S2K is a great daily and know many people that do it. It is a practical daily for everyone, of course not.

I think an S2K is a great daily and know many people that do it. It is a practical daily for everyone, of course not.

lets swap our verts so I can drive a s2k.

If you know how to wrench (or has money) the 996 could be an option. They are cheap now a days and have a back seat. Very track capable and fun at track.

I have been interested in the 996 for quite a while. The prices have been trending up in recent years, but I would consider one for sure. The IMS bearing upgrade is around $2k IIRC. The other common issue is the RMS, and if you're doing that might as well replace clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder. That adds up...

If you're lucky, you can find one that has been well cared for and documented. My best guess is you need $25k at least for the car and should be ready to pay $5k in maintenance. So that's not out of the question for me. I need a black interior because I can't stand the gray or tan interiors in the 996...

I have been interested in the 996 for quite a while. The prices have been trending up in recent years, but I would consider one for sure. The IMS bearing upgrade is around $2k IIRC. The other common issue is the RMS, and if you're doing that might as well replace clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder. That adds up...

If you're lucky, you can find one that has been well cared for and documented. My best guess is you need $25k at least for the car and should be ready to pay $5k in maintenance. So that's not out of the question for me. I need a black interior because I can't stand the gray or tan interiors in the 996...

If I were in your shoes, looking for a single car to handle DD + 2 track events a year in the $30k total range, a 996 would be high on my list... probably my first choice if I couldn't stretch to a 997. I drove a friend's and really liked the dynamics. The exterior is not the prettiest IMO, and the interior switch gear is too Ford Taurus looking for my taste. But I could get over all that to be in such a competent car. Only reason I didn't go that way was that the 2-car solution better met my personal needs. While the twins are probably a more logical choice, they don't have that truly special character you get with the 911. Just my two cents.

Finding a good 996 is easier said than done. I'd like to drive one and see how much I like it. I think there is a sliver one up in Frisco that could be worth a look...

A 997 would be preferable. The ones I see online in the mid 30's are usually at the dealers that I would describe as shady looking...

That's the best looking bimmer imho. I drive by a blue zhp on my way home most days. Great looking car...

I've driven an e46 ZHP 6-speed as my daily. Aftermarket intake and exhaust and upgraded bushings, wheels, suspension, etc. Very sweet car - perfect 4-door sedan IMO. However, it's not quite in the same league as a 996. Here's my review of it if you want to know more: https://revsgarage.wordpress.com/2018/05/16/average-joe-car-review-e46-330i-zhp/

One thing to bear in mind: all the cars being mentioned are excellent! The twins, a 330i, a 996, a Type R, an S2K... you can't go wrong with any of these if you buy a well-cared for car at a fair price. 

Looks like fun for the track. Limits too high to have any fun on the street... I like slow car fast. To each their own.

Limits too high in a e92 m3, but you would be interested in a 997? lol. Slow car fast is the shit if you live somewhere with awesome twisty roads close by.... but not a ton of that here in texas. 

Maybe a 228i with track handling package? Little more grown up and a fairly nice place to be. 

I totally agree about the 997's limits as well. That's a drawback for me really. I think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread that I would just get an ND if I could. Miatas are way more fun to me on the street than any other car I've had. YMMV

Re the 228i, I tried to lease a 230i the week before I started this thread.  Loved the car but the lease rates were god awful.  That was kinda what pushed me to look into buying something I could track.  Seems like all the fun cars I looked at leased terribly.  The Audi S3 and Golf R in particular were a joke to lease.  I have been looking around online at used 228i for the last week or so.  I think you can find a pretty decent 2015/2016 with less than 20k miles and the m sport pack for $25k if you're patient.  The 2 series is the right size and I really liked the ZF auto.  It would be a plusher daily than the BRZ as long as it holds together...  The BRZ has better road feel; bimmer has more power and refinement.

328i with sport package that's a few years old is honestly where I'd go unless you wanted something more "sports car" and less on the "nice sporty sedan" spectrum. The 4 banger makes enough power and torque to be engaging, enough space inside, handling is pretty good for modern BMW standards. 

You could always toss on some comfortable street oriented coilovers and get some front neg camber for a more track based setup. The 228/230 is too new/rare to get good pricing for a modern BMW IMO. They also look a little goofy to me, so maybe I'm biased. Just can't like the look of an M2 that parks at work. 

I know waffling when I see waffling.  He is waffling!  Meanwhile the minivan gravity is increasing.

5b7ea451e851d_minivan.jpg

That's a pretty nice one! They grey interior... Ruins it for me. It's not quite as bad as the grey\brown interior in a 911, but it's up there.. Other than that, that is one of the nicest ZHPs I've seen.