MoonieGT

Looking for suggestions: DD w/ back seat that can do 1-2 track events a year

Love this thread.

I'm currently in a '13 Camaro SS 1LE, I'd recommend it but I can't because I haven't been to the track in ages and never / not yet with the chevy.  

I will say it "feels" much more capable than my last heavily tracked fun car - which was a 2008 Mazdaspeed3.  Loved that car, great double duty, tons of room for kids and cargo and stupid fun on the track.  Yeah fwd had it's downsides but it was quite the overachiever.  Too bad they don't offer the speed3 anymore. I'll have to see if I can match/beat a 1.29 at H2R in the camaro.

The Gen 5 camaro (the one I have) is surprisingly useable inside - kids fit just fine in the back seat - although not hugely spacious.  The Gen6 has less interior room - but it is slightly less of a heavy pig.  Good news about the Gen 5, is they have pretty damn good potential in spite of their weight, are getting cheap, and are proving to be very reliable.

Being my first (and maybe only) Camaro - I was unpleasantly surprised at how crappy the transmission feels.  I know it's "rugged" and can take a lot of abuse but damn it sucks.  Feels like crap, slow to shift.  I guess it goes with the territory.

My wife has a 2006 carrera cab (I think the back seats are slightly smaller in the cab vs. coupe) and it's small/not very comfortable in the back.  Driving it is interesting and sort of fun. I have had one petite 14 year old daughter and my 9 year old son in the back seats and it was doable, but just barely tolerable.  Perhaps due to the convertible I'd rate the cab track ability quite a bit lower than the Camaro, and probably even lower than my old Mazda. (in terms of lap time capability)

I would scratch the GTI with DSG off the list if you intend to track it at all. The DSG is notorious for overheating with light use and going into limp mode. I’ve seen it happen with several AT AUTOCROSSES. If the tranny can’t hold up to a 1 minute autocross run, I doubt it’ll hold up on track. It’s at least worth researching before you pull the trigger. Or get the manual.

I parked next to a stinger last night. It's a good looking machine. Should be a nice, comfortable cruiser but maybe needs a few updates. No LSD available, no true manual mode for the transmission and it won't hold gears. One review I saw mentioned numerous rattles and squeaks, but maybe it was just because it was a press car? The G70 sport is supposed to be the better drivers car. Lower weight, sharper handling, LSD available.

I think they have insane incentives on the Stinger at the moment (so I'm told).

I parked next to a stinger last night. It's a good looking machine. Should be a nice, comfortable cruiser but maybe needs a few updates. No LSD available, no true manual mode for the transmission and it won't hold gears. One review I saw mentioned numerous rattles and squeaks, but maybe it was just because it was a press car? The G70 sport is supposed to be the better drivers car. Lower weight, sharper handling, LSD available.

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 is also on my list to test. 400 hp? yes please. 

Edit: I didn't know a G70 sport existed. *interested

I've never driven the Infiniti, but I hear it has no feel or feedback. The steering is even drive by wire on that car right?

The G70 looks like nice car to me. You can get the 2.0L turbo with a manual, big brakes, and an LSD... Recipe for a fun dad car...

I've never driven the Infiniti, but I hear it has no feel or feedback. The steering is even drive by wire on that car right?

The G70 looks like nice car to me. You can get the 2.0L turbo with a manual, big brakes, and an LSD... Recipe for a fun dad car...

I take other folks opinions of driving experience with a grain of salt. Everyone said the Z sucks, numb, boring, whathaveyou. I had a blast and thought it was quite the opposite.  :unknw:

Stinger GT has LSD available in RWD.   I've driven a couple of them, and they're great cars for the $$$.  

Stinger GT has LSD available in RWD.   I've driven a couple of them, and they're great cars for the $$$.  

There is a tuner guy on youtube doing development work on the stinger. He just put up a video of the stinger getting into the 11s in the 1/4 mile. I think its was just exhaust and ecu tweaks to get there. Impressive!

Edit: video

Playing around on KIA's web site. I see where you can add LSD to the GT, but not the GT1 or GT2? Maybe it is standard on the higher trims?

Edit: yes, it is optional on the GT (part of a $2200 package), not available on the GT1, and standard on the GT2.

There is a tuner guy on youtube doing development work on the stinger. He just put up a video of the stinger getting into the 11s in the 1/4 mile. I think its was just exhaust and ecu tweaks to get there. Impressive!

Tork has been around a while tuning and part making for a number of compact performance lines and got into the Veloster turbo business once they came out. They haven't been without controversy but generally do really solid work. 

I bought my BRZ new, then waited a year to start throwing parts at it. I'm at about $8k in parts (half of that is from coilovers and my AP Sprint Brake kit). The rest has been consumables and I'm not sure I want to add those up...

Sets of tires 16 at an average of $700 installed comes out to $11,200, damn.

Front brake pads 7 sets at an average of $150 adds up to $1,050

Replacement Brake disks front and rear $350

Rear brake pads 3 sets at an average of $120 adds up to $360

So about $21k in parts in consumables plus the $25k purchase price (I got a good deal) puts me at about $46k all in over the past 4 years. Now, based off of forum sales results, I could realistically get $3k-$5k for my used parts if I were to resell them (one of the reasons I chose some of the parts I did). My car is probably worth about $15k (only 42k miles), so if I got rid of everything I'm looking at having spent around $27k over 4 years, 127 autox events (if I count my co-drivers' events with mine) and 33 trackdays (I'm at 3 months shy of 4 years of ownership).

A set of tires lasts about 6 trackdays, brake pads are bout the same for the front and rears are more like 12-15. A trackday costs me about $250 (my average costs have been going down thanks to finding tires and brake pads that are cheaper to run) in consumables including gas. Tires for Corvettes and Camaros are 2-3x the cost and puts a V8 trackday easily at $500 assuming similar consumption rates with higher individual item costs (they generally go through brakes faster). That's the reason I'm not driving a Corvette (I ran the numbers before I bought the BRZ and couldn't get past the tire costs for the big cars).

$331/day is my current number for my Mustang. I include fuel ($75/d), and a couple of extra fluids changes per year. However, its with 2nd tier tires in the 200 TW category(Falkens) that last me more like 11-12 days. I do tend to protect the tires when its hot or it would be worse. I'd also be nearly $200/day more expensive with Rival$ or RE-71Rs. It used to be confusing trying to figure autocross vs track, I.e. relatively equal tire wear but no brake wear at autocross. I haven't actually autocrossed in a year and a half so I think I'm fairly accurate now.

The big girl eats brakes. 21 sets total (front and rear) in the last 4.5 years on track. Am hoping to trim a little cost on the 305 sized RS-4s and hoping the bigger 6-piston brakes last longer. Time will tell

Since you mentioned hot hatches....my first track car was a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. Took me from Green through to Yellow, never overheated even in June @ TWS (on stock cooling + Stage 1 tune), Great sleeper car, massive fun, huge versatility. 

Instead of the RS, have you considered an ST? Much, much, cheaper (I've just traded in the MS3 for a ST).

+1.  I have DDd my MS3 for 8 years now.  Not any more buzzy or uncomfortable than the Miata.  The back seat feels about twice the size of a BRZ/FRS.  Did my first track event in it at TWS.  My instructor for that event also had a caged Speed 3 that he tracked and daily'd, iirc. 

It Might be possible to find a clean, low miles 2013 MS3, but easier to go for a FoST or a GTI.

It's plenty fast stock, and comes w/ a 100K warranty.    I'd rather keep the OEM reliability and the warranty intact!