speedracer

The Drivers Edge September 8-9 2018

This is going to be a special track day for me.     My son will be enjoying his first track day.    If you are available to instruct, he will be driving the miata please contact me so I can ask Rick to assign you to Jr.

This is going to be a special track day for me.     My son will be enjoying his first track day.    If you are available to instruct, he will be driving the miata please contact me so I can ask Rick to assign you to Jr.

Congrats to both you and your son! No kids on my end yet, but I've always thought about the first day I'd take mine out to their first track event.

Congrats to both you and your son! No kids on my end yet, but I've always thought about the first day I'd take mine out to their first track event.

I have been there for many of my son's first thinks like first step first bike ride first words. I am looking forward to his first track day. He has been at the track with me since he was a little kid. Now he is all grown up [emoji41]

I have been there for many of my son's first thinks like first step first bike ride first words. I am looking forward to his first track day. He has been at the track with me since he was a little kid. Now he is all grown up [emoji41]

I'm super excited for all that stuff! Our first kid (a boy) is due in January. Whether he knows it or not, he has the gearhead gene:)

And wouldn't you know it, blipshift sells baby onesies now...

I'm super excited for all that stuff! Our first kid (a boy) is due in January. Whether he knows it or not, he has the gearhead gene:)

And wouldn't you know it, blipshift sells baby onesies now...

I mean technically we all start out as racers since we win our first race as a sperm.

I’ll see myself out.

Anyone that's driven here in the rain - is MSR-H as slick as MSR-C is in the wet?

Not that the R888R will care much. And it's not like I have a choice either - it's that or jussssst about cached RC1s. I'm there with a huge grin on either way, just want to know what to expect. At least the humidity is low (for coastal TX)!

5b903673c267e_AngletonWeather.jpg

Anyone that's driven here in the rain - is MSR-H as slick as MSR-C is in the wet?

Not that the R888R will care much. And it's not like I have a choice either - it's that or jussssst about cached RC1s. I'm there with a huge grin on either way, just want to know what to expect. At least the humidity is low (for coastal TX)!

No, MSRH is wonderful in the rain. MSRC is very unique in that regard.

No, MSRH is wonderful in the rain. MSRC is very unique in that regard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

sorry..  was that out loud?  :)

MSRH is challenging in the rain, but it's not quite as slick as MSRC.  there is a very definite wet line that's worth an easy 10sec/lap vs. the dry line.  re-learned that over the weekend as I was smearing the fog off the inside of my windshield on every straight just so I could see the next corner..  

The racing line is slick most places. Specific places of mention: 

• Because we're running CCW, the apex coming on the main straight is particularly slick in the wet, and is the last place to dry out as there is a puddle that remains. There's a wall right there, and if something bad is going to happen, that's where it's probably going to happen.
  • The Carousel is grippy for the most part, but is a little slick right near the exit, about the point that you'd start to squeeze on the gas. This could loop you pretty quick.
  • Diamonds edge and Bus Stop are super slick, but there's pretty much nothing to hit. Be careful through 6 (sweeper on to back straight), as it's still slick on the inside line, and if you over correct, there's a tire wall off to the right. It's a long way off the track, but you can go a long way when it's wet.
  • Just before and during the Launch is quite slick, which is mostly fine. Just after the launch though, there is a tire wall on the left, and tire wall on the right with water behind it. Both of them are well off the track, but can easily be reached if you over correct trying to 'save it'.

There are significant differences in grip over various parts of the track. Once you learn where they are, it's great fun in the wet. My experience has been that it doesn't typically have much standing water. Last wet track day, I left the Toyo RRs on.

Do not follow the below video for the 'wet line', I was being silly, but it gives you an idea of where the grip is (or isn't)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h6EML70OxEc

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

sorry..  was that out loud?  :)

MSRH is challenging in the rain, but it's not quite as slick as MSRC.  there is a very definite wet line that's worth an easy 10sec/lap vs. the dry line.  re-learned that over the weekend as I was smearing the fog off the inside of my windshield on every straight just so I could see the next corner..  

Well, yeah Matt, every track is challenging in the rain. Driving in the rain is challenging, hence why it's often called "the great equalizer." I kinda figured that was self-explanatory.

The question was "is MSR-H as slick as MSR-C is in the wet," and to that, most could unequivocally answer "no." There are portions of MSR-C that are literal glass that make it a nightmare to race on. It's not like a gradual decrease in grip due to changing conditions, but a .05% percent difference in weight transfer and you're on ice.

Great notes from Rob btw!

I was told by a fellow instructor to bring my rain tires..  I laughed and said "what are rain tires?"

Should be a fun weekend!

I only have Maxxis RC-1s. This is going to be fun.

I've always felt that I'm at least halfway decent at correcting for mild semi-expected oversteer, but always wondered how I'd handle a more...um...dramatic situation. Well, thanks to the many wet sessions this weekend, I got to answer that question.

It's kinda fun to watch and analyze - you can see me put in the sort of momentary correction I'm used to doing, and I even start to take it back out before realizing that it's not doing the job.