Sign in to follow this  
Shuka

Improvements at GSS

Anyone been there and seen more physical movement than the shed shown above? I'd like to believe it will happen...but this is my "holding my breath" face. :lazy:

I ran there a few times sharing a friend's Mini Cooper S with the Lotus folks. Seemed fun enough, and another track is a rarity for the obvious (piles of money) reasons...

1.  They must have had a huge money injection from the Harvey cars to be able to afford the millions in additional pavement.

2.  they can't even bother to kill the weeds and blow off the metal debris in the parking lot, or even bother to remove a broken-arse table from their promo photos, so why would I believe they're going to be able to market themselves as a premium club-style facility?  I barely want to park my pickup truck on that paddock, let alone race tires.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, Matt93SE said:

1.  They must have had a huge money injection from the Harvey cars to be able to afford the millions in additional pavement.

2.  they can't even bother to kill the weeds and blow off the metal debris in the parking lot, or even bother to remove a broken-arse table from their promo photos, so why would I believe they're going to be able to market themselves as a premium club-style facility?  I barely want to park my pickup truck on that paddock, let alone race tires.

royal purple or HRP whichever it's called now did make a ton of money on the harvey storm... multi millions.  Not sure how GSS made out.

Looks like they are trying to maximize space to get to 2.4 miles total to compete some with HSR.  My only concern is the proximity of the two straights on the long addition.  I'd want some sort of concrete barrier between those areas.

My largest concern from that track is the width.  the twisty section at the end of the current front straight is not conducive to wheel-wheel racing.  it's just not side enough for two cars to safely get through there at speed.  and you know SOMEONE will stick their nose in no matter how dumb it is.

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

My largest concern from that track is the width.  the twisty section at the end of the current front straight is not conducive to wheel-wheel racing.  it's just not side enough for two cars to safely get through there at speed.  and you know SOMEONE will stick their nose in no matter how dumb it is.

Ya for w2w i can see that.  This seems to be more of a HDPE friendly track and trying to cram in more than they can chew within the space.  Don't get me wrong it should be fine when done (if ever).

I'm just tired of the "flat" tracks near houston.  

3 hours ago, Talley said:

Ya for w2w i can see that.  This seems to be more of a HDPE friendly track and trying to cram in more than they can chew within the space.  Don't get me wrong it should be fine when done (if ever).

Have you been to MSRH lately?  there's nothing flat about that track......  LOL

4 hours ago, Talley said:

how can you be tired of the "flat" tracks near houston after driving at 0 events?  

"It's not about the control.  I've done the autox previously.  Just tired of the little seat time.  I work 6-7 days a week so when I take off for an event I want track time.  

Right now I have 0 events... who's to say I can even control it at all 😄"

Let me paraphrase for him: "Houston is really flat and I'm too good of a driver to waste my 0 time talent on that!"

LOL!!

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

Have you been to MSRH lately?  there's nothing flat about that track......  LOL

Gut check CCW anyone? I think I actually get one of the rears off the ground on rebound...that's not bad for torsen diffs is it? :popcorm1:

My car is bouncing over the bumps and I'm sideways + spinning tires in either direction through gut check.  nothing flat about it (especially my foot on the gas pedal).

1 hour ago, Captain Buddha said:

I've gotten a little airborne/sideways there....

I spent a lot time trying to "fix" my suspension so I wouldn't get airborne into gut check.  Turns out car is ok and track is jacked.

4 hours ago, lobster said:

how can you be tired of the "flat" tracks near houston after driving at 0 events?  

"It's not about the control.  I've done the autox previously.  Just tired of the little seat time.  I work 6-7 days a week so when I take off for an event I want track time.  

Right now I have 0 events... who's to say I can even control it at all 😄"

He's got 4 cars and coffee extreme drifting and crowd ploughing events.

Let me elaborate...  MSRH is no COTA/Watkins Glen/Road America etc... where you see big elevation changes.

SOooo what you guys are saying is because I'm honest I get ripped for that?  I could be lying my butt off saying how bad ass I am like some 17yr old kid but thats just not my style.  I know I'll be a novice and I know the land MSR is built on.  I have family that lives in sterling lakes and others in Lake jackson  and I've also commuted to freeport for a long time.  All of this area is flat.  This is what I meant by flat... not bumpy.  

I didn't mean to imply that I was too good for it.  I feel fortunate for having a track close to me to go to.  How can I be too good for something I've never done?  That doesn't make sense.  

4 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

My car is bouncing over the bumps and I'm sideways + spinning tires in either direction through gut check.  nothing flat about it (especially my foot on the gas pedal).

I saw one 4-5' tall mound... that track may be bumpy but it's still flat.  How am I wrong on this?

I've enjoyed many drives through the hill country near bandera tx... now that is fun.  Sorry for insulting your track that I've never been on.  Thanks,

bumpy means there's undulations in the surface.  so it's not flat.  It's all a matter of perspective. :)

...... just like fat girls, scooters, autoX, and flat race tracks...  don't knock it till you've tried it!  

MSRH is a VERY challenging track to get right, especially with all of the bumps in the surface.  there's also a lot of subtle camber change in the turns which makes you alter your line from what you think should be right in order to truly go fast there.  Go drive that track in a proper race car and see how well you do the first few hours of track time.  Based on all your talk, there's some pretty big britches to fill.  And trust me, you won't be bored.

12 hours ago, Talley said:

I saw one 4-5' tall mound... that track may be bumpy but it's still flat.  How am I wrong on this?

I've enjoyed many drives through the hill country near bandera tx... now that is fun.  Sorry for insulting your track that I've never been on.  Thanks,

Man don't sweat it, gotta have a little bit of a thick skin and good sense of humor in life, in this hobby, and in particular amongst some surly fawkers here 😛 .  If you get ribbed for something you said - don't take it too hard and maybe think about the why of it.

18 hours ago, lobster said:

This statement specifically sounds like you have been to and driven on the "flat" tracks near Houston, such that you're tired of the lack of elevation changes.

So now you're getting some good natured ribbing for saying that, when we know you have not been on the tracks yet.

I doubt anyone feels like you're insulting a track - it's ok to be critical of tracks. 

Roll with it, laugh it off...stick around and have a beer with some fun people. 

Welcome to TrackJunkies....the Darkside...LOL!!

Sebring is flat as a pancake....but bumpier than the cellulite on the proverbial fat lady that sings "shows over"....LOL...even still....I LOVE Sebring...walls everywhere...bouncy bouncy....and T17 - under the bridge...I remember the first few times through it....WOW! I was at the top end of 2nd....all the wheel hop and top end of RPM....the steering wheel almost was ripped out of my hand (as I was shifting)....so, much better to short shift and power through in 3rd...lots of torque...really smooths things out! And now I've got T17 down...that's my favorite passing zone! It's a place where a lot of bad ju ju happens though....I remember seeing two of my fellow competitors smack into the wall at the same time there right in front of me....crazy stuff!!

The fun starts at the 6:00 mark....yes, it's rough....

3 hours ago, KevinDB said:

Man don't sweat it, gotta have a little bit of a thick skin and good sense of humor in life, in this hobby, and in particular amongst some surly fawkers here 😛 .  If you get ribbed for something you said - don't take it too hard and maybe think about the why of it.

It puts the lotion on....or it gets the hose again.... LOL

I'm more burly than surly....but Matt, well, he's a malcontent.....LOL

3 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

The fun starts at the 6:00 mark....yes, it's rough....

6:47..  I found where your 10mm went!!!!