Sign in to follow this  
Shuka

Improvements at GSS

I was at GSS a while back, and they were talking about some improvements "to be done by October!"

I saw they had started on real bathrooms and a clubhouse, and they were talking about a track extension too.

Is anyone a regular there that can update us?

This is the email I was sent from them on Sunday (7-8-18 for those reading the thread 2 years from now)

GRANDSPORT TRACK DAY JULY 15, 2018 WITNESS THE BUILDING OF A TEXAS LEGEND!

GET YOUR CAR ON TRACK!
Weather looks great! Sign up before Tuesday July 10th and save $25!
https://grandsportspeedway.com/grandsport-track-days/

MAIN BUILDING STRUCTURE
Two 3000sq ft buildings have arrived. They will be placed in the grass hole in the paddock. The concrete foundation may be poured by the time you get there! These buildings will become a main gathering place for track events, a temporary Clubhouse for our members as well as a car storage facility.  It is the first of many buildings going in in the six months at GrandSport Speedway.  Member garages and weather canopies will soon follow.

NEW PERMANENT RESTROOMS
By the end of May you will see the new permanent concrete bathroom building.  In addition to the regular stuff like running water in sinks and flush toilets this new structure will also house showers so that you can clean up before you head back home.  You should be able to use these new facilities in the May event.

CORNER STATIONS
This weekend you will see that we have started to install the corner stations are in place for the flag people who will help control everyone on the two mile track.(Coming SEPT 1ST 2018)

SAFTEY BARRIERS
The new Armco is set up in key locations to help keep you where you need to be.

MORE RACE TRACK!
We are paving another mile of track in May.  We will let the asphalt sit and cure until September 1st and then open it up for use!

THE NEW ENTRANCE ROAD!
We will be building a new entrance road on the very south end of the property so that everyone can come and go while everyone is on track. We may even put up a sign so you can find us!

SO MANY EXCITING THINGS GOING ON AT GRANDSPORT IN THE NEXT YEAR!  YOU NEED TO BE A PART OF IT!

This popped up on my facecritter feed last night:

MANAGEMENT POSITION for someone to establish themselves in Motorsports Facility and 'Athletic Run Event' business in Houston. Daily management and facility services sales lead to a great potential for yearly bonuses and strong future in this solid industry. We require assistance in facility management, facility build out and sales and marketing.

Some on job training will be provided to a qualified individual.

Management experience, self starter and superior organization skills with an reasonable understanding of the racing business is an asset. Understanding of the mud run, color run etc business could also be important. 

Better than average computer literacy and the understanding of various business and social media platforms encouraged. Related diploma/degree would also be an asset.

BE A PART OF THE BUILDING OF ANOTHER TEXAS LEGEND!! GrandSport Speedway and Terrain Warrior.

Qualified candidates can email their resumes to [email protected]

Very cool!

My one gripe remaining would be the return trip home through I-45 traffic.

Very cool!

My one gripe remaining would be the return trip home through I-45 traffic.

I take Hwy 6 to 35, then south to 1462.

Looking on the GSS site, there looks to be actual structures being built, foundations poured etc. Kinda excited to see where this goes.

Looking on the GSS site, there looks to be actual structures being built, foundations poured etc. Kinda excited to see where this goes.

One of the TDE instructors was saying they are expanding to be a 2.3 mile circuit.  New restrooms, clubhouse, etc.  Plan is to be a race country club like Cresson.

One of the TDE instructors was saying they are expanding to be a 2.3 mile circuit.  New restrooms, clubhouse, etc.  Plan is to be a race country club like Cresson.

If they want to have races there they need to widen the track.  Way too narrow for racing IMO.

98 dB sound limit. RIP

they have a sound limit at GSS? 

apparently require a shop to tech. 

also have rules against race slicks? 

guess im out. 

guess im out.

Lobstah on slicks !?!?! Holy sliding Lobstahs!!!! LOL!!

guess im out.

A sound limit would be understandable because of city ordinance or whatever. But requiring a shop to do tech and no slicks? Lololol

WITNESS THE BUILDING OF A TEXAS LEGEND! 

Any updates on the legend or is it still just a pillar of lies? 

Any updates on the legend or is it still just a pillar of lies?

Was there a few weeks ago. Nothing of note other than the shed, which I couldn't use to wrench out of the rainy weather because of the height of the slab and surrounding mud. Sigh. Track expansion was said not to be until April at the earliest but wouldn't be surprised if it slips...or never happens. Also don't put too much weight on the tech sheet, sound requirements or slicks restriction. Just show up and don't be a moron and they will most likely let you run what you brung.

Was there a few weeks ago. Nothing of note other than the shed, which I couldn't use to wrench out of the rainy weather because of the height of the slab and surrounding mud. Sigh. Track expansion was said not to be until April at the earliest but wouldn't be surprised if it slips...or never happens. Also don't put too much weight on the tech sheet, sound requirements or slicks restriction. Just show up and don't be a moron and they will most likely let you run what you brung.

but don't dare start your engine before 8am or rev after 5pm, or they will kick you out of the facility, call the sheriff, and ban you from coming back.

but don't dare start your engine before 8am or rev after 5pm, or they will kick you out of the facility, call the sheriff, and ban you from coming back.

lolwut 

lolwut

They must have some strict noise ordinances for the track, but they don't tell you that, they just yell at you and threaten to call the cops if you don't do what they say.

They must have some strict noise ordinances for the track, but they don't tell you that, they just yell at you and threaten to call the cops if you don't do what they say.

This can't be real?  why on earth would they be so combative?   I still haven't been there and the way it sounds I guess I won't be anytime soon. 

Can't speak for before/after hours antics, but the few times I've been to GSS I showed up with a self tech sheet plus race org annual tags as backup (wasn't checked though), slicks, loud AF exhausts and no shits were given. As long as you are not a total newb, have your ducks in a row and behave the vibe was very laid back.

This can't be real?  why on earth would they be so combative?   I still haven't been there and the way it sounds I guess I won't be anytime soon. 

Can't speak for before/after hours antics, but the few times I've been to GSS I showed up with a self tech sheet plus race org annual tags as backup (wasn't checked though), slicks, loud AF exhausts and no shits were given. As long as you are not a total newb, have your ducks in a row and behave the vibe was very laid back.

As I said above, I have a feeling there's some local noise regulations and or cranky neighbors that like to complain.  I was there several years ago instructing for an event, and we rolled onto the track at 7:55am to warm up the instructor cars and check track surface before starting the day with green students at 0800..  The manager came out of his little trailer screaming and waving his arms about cars on track before 8am and sheriff and kicking us off the track..    so my *bet* is there's got to be a noise ordinance that they are told to strictly abide.   however instead of just clearly communicating this (assumed) local noise ordinance, they yell and scream at people like we know what and why.  Why else would 5 minutes matter unless there was some noise regulation that shut off at 0800?

But to echo Eric's comment, once the operation actually got running during track hours, the guys seemed pretty laid back and the event was fine.