edison_GTI

edison_GTI NC Miata Build - AKA Casper

So, not to be a negative Nancy... but do the NASA TT rules allow swapping rear uprights from a different model (or aftermarket for that matter?) - especially since it increased rear camber?

The rules disallow "drop spindles" specifically, so you might want to drop Greg an e-mail and make sure it's an OK mod for TT5... If it's legal then I know how to solve my camber problems.

Interesting question, not being negative Nancy. 

First to all, the reason for swapping to RX8 knuckles is reliabilty/safety, since it is well known from the Pirelli TCR class that the original MX-5 hubs are weak.  Even the new MX-5 class allows and recommends the swap.

With that being said, I did see a "gain" in camber.  I would put it as non-conclusive since I removed all the links and eccentrics when I swapped the knuckles.   The "gain" I saw is easily achievable with the original hardware.  The only way to really know is to measure both knuckles.   I would be surprised if it hasn't been done.

I'm not planning on sending Greg an email tbh, that's not my goal for the car.  I'll let someone else inquire and fight that battle.

7 hours ago, edison_GTI said:

Even the new MX-5 class allows and recommends the swap.

The fact that its provisioned in those new regulations...I would guess it's only a matter of time before it trickles into the GCRS of NASA/SCCA if not there already. But this is local TX TT, if someone protests they're doing regional TT for the wrong reasons..

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

But this is local TX TT, if someone protests they're doing regional TT for the wrong reasons..

You think? If there are contingency tires on the line and you are getting beat by someone who is not following the rules, I see it as perfectly reasonable to protest. 

(Not saying Edison is/isnt illegal. Just defending legitimate protests in regional events)

44 minutes ago, edison_GTI said:

Ladies, let's keep it Casper focused.

Fair enough. How about this sweet pic I took of your sweet car & hauler:

20200126_171922.jpg

On 3/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, Hollywood said:

ahhh the perks of social distancing

Sort of.  I can get the 2.5 ready on my own, but I'm going to need a hand for the actual swap and social distancing is not going to help.

I measured valve clearances with the factory cams before removing them, I was surprised they were a tad more than the spec.  This engine only has 2K miles.  Looks like I'm going to need new buckets/lifters.

1045209936_OEMValveClearance.GIF.166867bb9d0e7b848ec0152bf9cb7571.GIF