edison_GTI

edison_GTI NC Miata Build - AKA Casper

you can see the ding on the tire too- extra compound, looks like some slight discoloration on the rubber..  the tire was stressed at that point.   
This is why I bought my own damn tire machine.  (and promptly scratched my own rim and destroyed a few tires learning how to use it)

They'll replace the wheel, just keep pushing, that's why they have insurance.  Looks like a tire iron got jammed or something.  That's no ding, that takes serious force to bend a wheel that sharply.

3 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

This is why I bought my own damn tire machine. 

Wait.  We’re your market dude.  Post some hours, or start selling memberships on that machine 😂

nuh uh.  no way.  the lawyer would kill me if one you sumbiches lost a finger in my garage and tried to sue me.

dismounted and remounted 3 sets of wheels last night to clean up the mess I had in the garage.. I dinged two wheels like the above in the process.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, Matt93SE said:

nuh uh.  no way.  the lawyer would kill me if one you sumbiches lost a finger in my garage and tried to sue me.

No one needs that kinda liability and worry in their life. I'd be happy to store the tire machine at my place, so you could sleep better at night :)

After a great day at MSRH, setting my PB (faster than Kermit), Casper left rear wheel started clicking.   This is the tale-tale of a bad axle/bearing.   Because of this, I started collecting parts for an RX-8 rear uprights swap.  The RX-8 has a much larger bearing and hub, and it is recommended as an upgrade for even the new MX-5 spec class.

What you need from the RX-8:

• Rear uprights - there are two versions, not idea if one is better than the other
  • Rear wheel bearings and retainer circlip
  • Rear hubs
  • Axles from an automatic - you need the outer joint only

This is a good time to add ARP longer wheel studs.

This is pretty much a direct swap except for the axles.  You need to transfer the outer RX-8 automatic joint to the MX-5 axle, and end up with a hybrid axle.

I have pretty much have everything, except for the RX-8 axles.......eBay shopping right now.

Pictures of what I have so far:

20191124_123736[1].jpg

20191124_123723[1].jpg

20191122_164745[1].jpg

Another task completed, hybrid MX-5/RX-8 axles:

20191215_134513.thumb.jpg.6191d9f970d3ce890bf7a823101a957c.jpg

Also tried to press the bearings and hubs, but my HF press wasn't up to the task.  Both bearings stopped short, and I couldn't insert the cir-clip.  I'll stop by a friend's shop to use their hydraulic press.

20191215_120720.jpg

Another step closer now that the RX-8 knuckles have new bearings, hubs, and studs.  I didn't bother putting back the dust shields.

20191216_203845.thumb.jpg.7c38d020be8096a75ac7bec4b1444f59.jpg

I took Casper for an alignment today.   The RX8 conversion seems to add 0.5° negative camber to rear, it had to be dialed back.

47 minutes ago, edison_GTI said:

I took Casper for an alignment today.   The RX8 conversion adds 0.5° negative camber to rear, it had to be dialed back.

so what are you at now?

1 hour ago, tyhackman15 said:

Yes! I need to throw some cams at mine already. Going with the 1.8 header? 

I already have a ceramic coated 1.8 header.