edison_GTI

edison_GTI NC Miata Build - AKA Casper

Since Kermit is no longer with us, I had to take time to decide what was going to replace it as my track car. At the beginning there were many choices in my head (including a newer generation VW GTI), and it came down to two options. I decided to move to RWD after driving mainly FWD for 10-years:

• BMW E36 M3
  • Mazda MX-5 (NC)
At the end I decided to build the NC Miata that I already have in the garage. The consumables cost that comes with the BMW scared me away. The other issue is that I started to realize when I checked couple of racecars that my OCD was going to force me to buy a really expensive one that would meet my standards. I do know first hand that buying an already built racecar is cheaper than building one, but I'd feel better knowing everything about the car, and building it is half the fun for me.

So, here it is, 2007 MX-5 Touring (you have seen the car already):

5b2b1007980aa_20170527_1044001.jpg

We bought the car back in July 2009 as a fun car before having kids. The plan was to keep it for couple of years and sell it before the first kid. As you realized, we never came around selling it and it became my back up track car.

FUN FACT: the Miata is on my wife's name, so technically it'll be "her" race car :)

This is the list of current modifications:

• 17x9 TRM wheels and 255/40-17 Federal tires
  • FatCat Motorsports coilovers - they need to go!
  • Exedy HD clutch
  • AWR rollbar
  • Goodwin Racing header and exhaust
The plan is to cage it and build it as either ST5 or ST6, depending on the upcoming ST6 rule set.

Sounds like a good choice if you like the work of building and developing a car.  for some, it's only a path to a destination.  For others, it's a journey to be enjoyed.  Have fun with the new toy!

I figured this is what you'd do. And I totally agree with you in regards to your level of standard and buying someone elses race car. There are a few folks I'd buy their car with no worries. Outside of that tiny group of people I'd have to pull every nut, bolt and part off the car for inspection. OCD can be a good thing sometimes. 

Looking forward to another great build thread. 

Why?

Nice choice on the NC :)

I know FCM's are all custom valved, but generally they're a great street shock and leave something to be desired for a track focused setup. Having said that I just spent the last NASA weekend getting curb stomped by a Miata on re-valved billies (not FCM), so...

I know FCM's are all custom valved, but generally they're a great street shock and leave something to be desired for a track focused setup. Having said that I just spent the last NASA weekend getting curb stomped by a Miata on re-valved billies (not FCM), so...

I mean, to a certain point shock bodies are shock bodies, and the internals of a Bilstein B6 aren't that much different (maybe shaft diameter) than a more focused coilover setup. You can only move oil so many ways :) But I'm always interested in learning more! I'm leaning towards a Bilstein PSS setup re-valved by FCM, so I'm curious.

I'm going to ask Inertial Labs what they think would be the best for my case, they could even re-valve the FCMs.   

I want to be able to jump curbs without upsetting the car balance, that's something the AST 5100 in Kermit excel at and I miss in the Miata with the FCMs.  Also, the current FCM are valved to what I think is not enough low speed rebound and too much high speed.   Base case, the current springs are too soft for a dedicated track car.

I mean, to a certain point shock bodies are shock bodies, and the internals of a Bilstein B6 aren't that much different (maybe shaft diameter) than a more focused coilover setup. You can only move oil so many ways :) But I'm always interested in learning more! I'm leaning towards a Bilstein PSS setup re-valved by FCM, so I'm curious.

I'm no shock engineer, but as far as shock bodies go, let's says Bilstein vs Xida/Fox; steel vs aluminum for weight savings and heat dissipation. Shorter, designed to achieve maximum bump/droop travel at lower ride heights. Then you get into internals with things like larger shaft, double digressive pistons, bump/rebound adjustability, yada yada. I guess the point is you can buy an off the shelf system that does everything better than a revalved Billie (such as the aforementioned eating up curbs) and you're sitting at about the same amount of money spent. There's nothing wrong with the billies and they can be made to perform at a high level, but at what point does it make sense to just ditch the OEM shock and get a shock designed from the ground up for the chassis and track/racing?

I'm going to ask Inertial Labs what they think would be the best for my case, they could even re-valve the FCMs.   

I want to be able to jump curbs without upsetting the car balance, that's something the AST 5100 in Kermit excel at and I miss in the Miata with the FCMs.  Also, the current FCM are valved to what I think is not enough low speed rebound and too much high speed.   Base case, the current springs are too soft for a dedicated track car.

I just ordered a set of Inertia Labs yesterday for the S. Can't wait!!