Hollywood

NASA Nationals - COTA- Sept. 12th - 16th, 2018

Can the heads/valve covers be modified to add extra drains in particular locations to allow the oil to escape?   dry sump also doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive..  you can still slurp oil out of a wet sump pan just like you can a $$$$custom dry sump pan$$$$, but I understand the mounting of the guy is a bear on these flat fours..   maybe an electric vacuum pump would be a secondary trick..   suck the oil out of the heads and return to pan...

there are lots of little things that can be done to improve oiling and reduce pooling..  not sure what all has been tried yet.   but I know a couple guys around here are road racing them with none of these issues (yet)..  Tony rivera ran one in world challenge and was doing great until someone knocked him into a wall and totalled the car..  he never had engine reliability problems up to that point, and it was running some stupid fast time at MSRH  (like 1.42 IIRC)

So in SM we run qualifying races on Friday on the tires we bring, while quali and races Saturday and Sunday have to be on the tires Toyo brings. Is that correct ?

No.

Only the championship race requires the sticker Toyos you bought.

Last day for the mandatory purchase is today for you SM folk out there...

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2907

Actual order deadline is Tue Sep 4 for the required Toyo tires for Saturday's SM Feature race (and Sunday's SM Deux race).  83 SM entries as of Aug 31, under the track limit of 85, wonder if this will change the plan...

Actual order deadline is Tue Sep 4 for the required Toyo tires for Saturday's SM Feature race (and Sunday's SM Deux race).  83 SM entries as of Aug 31, under the track limit of 85, wonder if this will change the plan...

Thanks! My bad.

I hope so. 

83 SM entries as of Aug 31, under the track limit of 85, wonder if this will change the plan...

It certainly would make the weekend less complicated. And maybe even more interesting!

I’m pretty sure that the front runners would shout down an 83 car field though.

Ok. The shock of paying $9 per gallon of required gas is subsiding now.

Pedal the metal, yo!

While that is a huge money grab and disconcerting, be glad you aren’t getting 5-6mpg like me. Don’t you only need that for the feature race? Or also Qual? Even with both, less than 10 gallons.

I think this weather forecast is dependent on that mess coming up from the carribean.  No one is quite sure when it will be washing through and what will be affected.  Pretty fair chance at some point things will be sketchy though. 

Here's my other question- since SM didn't get nearly as many entries as they were expecting, can we just all run one 85 car race and be done with it?  It's right at COTA limits.  You can still call it the biggest SM race ever or whatever the tag line is.  I think the fear is just that we will run the whole thing under caution because they'd need 85 SMs to behave themselves...