joesurf79

My BRZ: White Lighten-ing, and a formal Introduction

1 hour ago, joesurf79 said:

once I hit the "2 kids under 2" event horizon

coffee spit laugh, thank you

Hey Joe. I’m just glad you’re not selling. Let’s go racing. 

I made a lot of beginner mistakes that I regret. Biggest mistake was not properly understanding air flow. Oil, engine and intake temps. I was an idiot. That mistake overheated my built engine and blew it July 2018 at ECR, haven’t been back to ECR since but just signed up for SCCA TT in two weeks. 

Since then, replaced with a stock engine and started competing NASA TT in Oct 2018, ST in May 2019, Motec installed July 2019. 

I’ve thought about LS swap too and maybe someday I will. I’ll wait til this one blows before deciding. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, EJensen said:

Hey Joe. I’m just glad you’re not selling. Let’s go racing. 

I made a lot of beginner mistakes that I regret. Biggest mistake was not properly understanding air flow. Oil, engine and intake temps. I was an idiot. That mistake overheated my built engine and blew it July 2018 at ECR, haven’t been back to ECR since but just signed up for SCCA TT in two weeks. 

Since then, replaced with a stock engine and started competing NASA TT in Oct 2018, ST in May 2019, Motec installed July 2019. 

I’ve thought about LS swap too and maybe someday I will. I’ll wait til this one blows before deciding. 

What's up Eric! Ls is probably on hold, as Haley traded her WRX for something more powerful. In fact, this thing is the most powerful vehicle I have ever owned. 375 hp, 470 lb/ft of trq. Twin turbo V6...

expedition.thumb.jpg.17a00bd83e7fc73197577fbda629cf8f.jpg

So Now, My BRZ power Plan looks more like: 

Rotrex.thumb.jpg.c7fa44cf5dd5e9b547a27651fd94764f.jpg    +rosary.thumb.jpg.f642d09e490f7e32ecf740f5bb37c566.jpg

Just need to keep temps in check. Have some ideas and ducting changes to make to ensure survival. Did PFT in Lewisville tune yours? 

^That will convert to a nice car trailer puller some day-  Very forward thinking!!  🙂

8 minutes ago, Max said:

^That will convert to a nice car trailer puller some day-  Very forward thinking!!  🙂

Exactly my line of thinking Max - thus the expedition and not an explorer... That baby has the HD towing package. 3.73 rear end ratio, giant radiator, bigger trans cooler, integrated trailer brake controller, and some sort of sway control, which I wont need because #toungweightmatters.  

Safer too with 2K lbs more than the WRX to abosrb / resist possible collisions. Just made sense. 

The whole family can come watch me turn good money into noise and frustration! How do I keep losing fun vehicles and getting more "responsible" family transportation...I need some more reckless and irresponsible transportation in  my life again! Jake agrees! 

704038479_Jake4th.thumb.jpeg.83c256535adce5851b313e1648b70467.jpeg

4 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

What's up Eric! Ls is probably on hold, as Haley traded her WRX for something more powerful. In fact, this thing is the most powerful vehicle I have ever owned. 375 hp, 470 lb/ft of trq. Twin turbo V6...

expedition.thumb.jpg.17a00bd83e7fc73197577fbda629cf8f.jpg

So Now, My BRZ power Plan looks more like: 

Rotrex.thumb.jpg.c7fa44cf5dd5e9b547a27651fd94764f.jpg    +rosary.thumb.jpg.f642d09e490f7e32ecf740f5bb37c566.jpg

Just need to keep temps in check. Have some ideas and ducting changes to make to ensure survival. Did PFT in Lewisville tune yours? 

PRT did the original tune and Steve is great but his dyno is a Mustang. So, having a target for NASA complicated it. I later had Zach do a remote tune on GSpeeds dyno, also difficult because it’s remote.  That was costly. 

33 minutes ago, EJensen said:

PRT did the original tune and Steve is great but his dyno is a Mustang. So, having a target for NASA complicated it. I later had Zach do a remote tune on GSpeeds dyno, also difficult because it’s remote.  That was costly. 

How does the mustang dyno complicate the NASA target? Just optimistic and reads high? I'd rather have the tuner in person this time around. The remote tuning thing is a hassle. Maybe tow car to CSG in Cali and combind trips to visit my sister in Van Nuys, and hit a track day there hahaha? 

NASA has a comp school next month at ECR, was thinking of getting out there. 

44 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

How does the mustang dyno complicate the NASA target? Just optimistic and reads high? I'd rather have the tuner in person this time around. The remote tuning thing is a hassle. Maybe tow car to CSG in Cali and combind trips to visit my sister in Van Nuys, and hit a track day there hahaha? 

NASA has a comp school next month at ECR, was thinking of getting out there. 

NASA requires RWD cars to be tested on a Dynojet for the dyno submission. 

ECR, do it. 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, EJensen said:

NASA requires RWD cars to be tested on a Dynojet for the dyno submission. 

ECR, do it. 

Yes, do it, Join ST4 and Race with us please. 

2 hours ago, DaiTrackGuy said:

Yes, do it, Join ST4 and Race with us please. 

That's the eventual plan.  Since july 6th when I last posted - I got my right distal bicep tendon severed by a 3 way mix of issac newton's laws, pure instinct reaction, and shitluck. 

If your giant double decker tool box wants to roll off the ledge in your garage - LET IT!!!🤣😂

Fully repaired surgically, but full recovery will take a couple months. Just in time for kid #2 to show up...

So as long as 2020 doesn't have alien invasion resulting in human enslavement in the cards, should be mixing it up in '21😎🤟👍

^Ouch!! Good luck on the repair!!

Note to self: Double decker tool boxes have right of way

1 hour ago, Max said:

^Ouch!! Good luck on the repair!

Thanks Max 🙂 appt today at 3pm to hopefully get rid of the splint, and then start working on motion 🙂

oh damn that sucks..   definitely work on range of motion and listen to the docs!!  (no duh!)  

My wife tore a tendon in her ankle several years ago and is allergic to NSAIDs.  i.e. no anti-inflammatory drugs to keep pain and swelling down.   instead, they had to reduce inflammation by ice and reduction of motion.  wellllll then the scar tissue made the recovery just as bad as the torn tendon!  She had to have a second surgery to remove the scar tissue and then fight through the pain on the physical therapy to keep the scar tissue at bay.  after a few months, it "went away" as everything healed up enough internally that the scar tissue quit trying to grow everything together.

Anyway, just be warned-- your arm will try to turn itself into a large lump of scar where the repairs were done-- keep the motion going as long as it's possible!

Continuing to heal as the car gathers dust. I vaguely remember being on track...pre covid...pre arm surgery...Motion is great, pain still sucks when moved certain ways. Lame scar. I rate this injury 3/10, would not recommend. 

armscar.thumb.jpg.a3c828211403b20bb79756f88d18e42f.jpg

Oh and I bought a non running square body beater to turn into a tire smoking rowdy burnout machine in my non existent free time. 

2065857396_hotrodtruck.thumb.jpg.cd3bfba23e62ad62e2981859bc0cfebd.jpg

The Bogan Dunny Team is racing Champ this weekend without me while I heal and wait for the arrival of child number 2 - I feel like I'm in a parallel universe... 😛

ugh.   getting old sucks!  priorities change, kids get in the way, etc..   eventually you'll dump all your play money into the kids' racing and live vicariously through them.  your body wont' work well enough to go fast anyway.

Nice tow vehicle though!  Old man . . . .

Speaking of old men, I passed a kidney stone this morning for the first time in my life.  Holy crud, that gets your attention.

Get off my lawn.