joesurf79

My BRZ: White Lighten-ing, and a formal Introduction

^It should have come from the factory this way...;0

Good luck wrapping it up!

Looking good! Any plans to seal the splitter to the bumper?

Oh you bet man, without an effective air dam, it's all for nothing ;)

post-1644-0-17761700-1545702701_thumb.jpg

Front end all but completed. Just need to mask off the bumper and apply some satin black sometime this week ;) 

I was looking forward to driving it at MSR-H next weekend with TDE, but I have been going back and forth with Delicious tuning in CA, after installing one of their Flex Fuel kits. Turns out the tuner that I was working with is no longer there, so hopefully I can get the tune all buttoned up in time! 5c73277a932b7_20190224_141125.jpg5c7327a36273c_20190224_152827.jpg

Keep an eye on that mesh. I've seen, in person, at least one person having overheating issues due to similar mesh.

That's interesting, will do! I used the same mesh on my last ducting setup and had no issues. But with the new splitter and air dam, etc who knows this time around.

Keep an eye on that mesh. I've seen, in person, at least one person having overheating issues due to similar mesh.

I like the development process. I know it's not as impressive to others but steel is cheaper/easier to weld and weight prolly total wouldn't be that bad i'd wager.  Either way a bolted up aluminum setup you can fine tune and take to any decent fab guy to weld the existing aluminum or replicate it. Can't wait to see your reported temps come July.

Looking good, Joe. What is the length of your splitter from the body? Seems a bit big in a few places for the rules.

Looking good, Joe. What is the length of your splitter from the body? Seems a bit big in a few places for the rules.

Thanks man!

LOL, yeahhh...about that ;) Not exactly sure how that happened. Sketched it all out with the bumper off the car to be right at 4" all the way around. It must flare out dramatically when not mounted and I didn't notice? I was super careful to measure. I'll just mark off 4" from the airdam all the way around and trim it. Probably not before I test it a couple times. Just have to get it right before my targeted first HPDE event - May at COTA with NASA. Children are fun but MAN! They are a glorious hilarious tiny time vortex haha!

A work in progress, but aren't they all ;)?

Also, assuming we are talking TT4 rules, I don't think the splitter diffusers are legal. 

We are indeed talking TT4. And then eventually ST4 ;) ... But either way - I don't remember any wording prohibiting them...but I might have just missed it in the rules. Life is kinda hectic at the moment. And looking at it the other way - if they WERE legal and made a difference, everyone would likely run them, right?

*joe cues a quote getting pasted from NASA rules highlighting his lack of thorough reading...*

We are indeed talking TT4. And then eventually ST4 ;) ... But either way - I don't remember any wording prohibiting them...but I might have just missed it in the rules. Life is kinda hectic at the moment. And looking at it the other way - if they WERE legal and made a difference, everyone would likely run them, right?

*joe cues a quote getting pasted from NASA rules highlighting his lack of thorough reading...*

This is the rule: 

3) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from where it intersects with the fascia or air dam. Along the entire splitter, there must be at least 1” of fascia or air dam material above/superior to where the splitter intersects the fascia/air dam, including at any air intake region.

I was interpreting that as requiring the splitter to be flat.

This is the rule: 

3) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4”...

I was interpreting that as requiring the splitter to be flat.

Ha! Yeah that's pretty darn clear to interpret... Hmmm. Maybe I had an aneurism when I was reading it the first time through? Skimming is more likely what happened ;)

Ha! Yeah that's pretty darn clear to interpret... Hmmm. Maybe I had an aneurism when I was reading it the first time through? Skimming is more likely what happened ;)

ehhhh no worries it'll get broken off long before you're running it in ST4  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

ehhhh no worries it'll get broken off long before you're running it in ST4  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quite literally, I say -5c75c8c04be4e_giphy1.gif

Yup.

ic1kGl2.jpg

kmqNIr5.jpg

E85 tune is almost completely dialed, a little bit of splitter trimming coming, few odds and ends to round up and BAM! Car should be ready to take out again. In other news - Jake had his first track experience. Slept right through it lol

5c803d2c2cf6b_Jake11.jpg

E85 tune is almost completely dialed, a little bit of splitter trimming coming, few odds and ends to round up and BAM! Car should be ready to take out again. In other news - Jake had his first track experience. Slept right through it lol

5c803d2c2cf6b_Jake11.jpg

next he'll be wearing these:

5c804126044f9_PT0062SP.jpg

43 minutes ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Lovin this build !!

Thanks man :) Getting closer to where I am done tinkering, adding, subtracting. Last few big projects are mounting/ plumbing / wiring in the surge tank (it'll live in the trunk area), and building a rear bulkhead to separate it from the cabin. Sort out the correct mounting for the inside cabin net. Get it dyno'd, weighed, and go racin' of some sort! (read: get my @$$ handed to me by people who can actually drive)

I approach TT, slowly...which is probably not the way to approach a competition for faster lap, but such is my life right now:) Dyno And weight - check!

BRZ_dyno.thumb.jpg.b2121352bc4824040b9c82ab66e234a7.jpg

I (used to) hate automotive wiring with a passion - always have. I was no good at it, it was always a bad result (which usually for me means that I never learned how to do it, and have no practice and just wing it when absolutely necessary). Wiring guru and buddy Josh Jach (who's miata I blew up last September lol) was kind enough to come down from Dallas to help me wire in my kill switch - which also now interrupts the ECU signal to the ignition coils AND protects the alternator when the thing is still spinning and suddenly has no path to the battery :) Josh_Wiring.thumb.jpg.e3f6ca2c0a96cd328863306263f01957.jpg

We also got all of the wiring in place to run my fuel surge tank, on a relay triggered by the signal to the factory fuel pump. The factory pump acutally has variable output levels depending on demand - which could end up being a bad thing, as the pump in the surge tank is just WFO all the time. SO, we use the ecu signal to the factory pump to trigger a relay that now runs the factory pump WFO at all times as well. It throws a code for a bad fuel pump primary circuit fault, but it doesn't seem to hinder the car performance at all, so who cares, right? Just need to make / route the lines to & from the surge tank, plumb it in, mount it, and whip together a sheet metal bulk head. Solid weekend of work at my current pace - but it goes smooth with the Pit Crew. Jake totally helps - the evidence is on his shirt :)

Jake_Pit_Crew.thumb.jpg.c03ffe864b8e1a6d061fe2eb1476536f.jpg

Also - COTA! A riot from turns 1 to 11, then again from 12 to 19 ;)

COTA_Garage.thumb.jpg.3b923139b1acf238619d044d516e5ab2.jpg

Surge tank 95% plumbed today, and the CoolShirt system wiring is 95% done. Hopefully both systems fully functional by the weekend 😉20190512_180701.thumb.jpg.ecc10b723dd16721910a8f440046909b.jpg

All three surge tank lines now run through a grommet I made by hollowing out the plug that was in the hole to start with 😉.

20190516_174113.thumb.jpg.393eb1053fb7f761aacf60578b74a5de.jpg

The flow path is:  the in-tank pump now fills the surge tank, and the surge tank pump now feeds the fuel rails. There is an overflow return line from the surge tank, that dumps back into the factory fuel basket. I replaced the In tank pump with an e85 compatible pump. After fixing a few minor fuel leaks, and setting the pressure regulator to the correct point - the car fired right up! 

20190516_171940.thumb.jpg.55cc9daa0ffcff0cac8d3980d7d9f1b0.jpg 

bonus: Jake playing in his bouncy activity chair.

20190516_182324.thumb.jpg.46daed758c4748dd63e8651f44500493.jpg

Car looks like it's going to be ready for MSRH this weekend 😉 We'll see if the thing runs with it's new fuel setup on track, and not just in the garage Haha! Life is good!