Hollywood

2018 Honda CTR FK8 - "Sneaky Mode"

On 3/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Hollywood said:

won't be using discount tire again.

5c7dacec75b82_IMG4835.jpg

Also, now running Ktuner, making in the neighborhood of 350whp / 365 tq on stock everything. Quite....noticeable...

Warning! Danger to Manifold!

7,000rpm on the tire 

30 minutes ago, KevinDB said:

Right?  20" used to be ridiculously large. 19" as a track wheel size ... sheesh.  I used to think 17" was just about perfect for track use for typical sedan size cars.

Totally...all cars seem to start out with giant wheels in the autoshow / design phase but they rarely survive down to production...but here we are..

From what I'm seeing online, those that heavily track the CTR go down to a 18 x 9.5 or 18 x 8.5 as it opens up a large selection of tires. 

1 hour ago, KevinDB said:

Right?  20" used to be ridiculously large. 19" as a track wheel size ... sheesh.  I used to think 17" was just about perfect for track use for typical sedan size cars.

Exactly my thought! Those tiny wheels look killer @Hollywood 

Is this a penis joke? I got the joke right? It was right? Like small wheels big penis thing? Right?

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

Car should have come this way. Ride is infinitely better. Grip is unreal. Looks are spot on. Waiting on center caps...

IMG-5371.JPG

Looking good!  Makes me a little sad to have turned away from my hot hatch preferences.

Updated first post with this as well to keep review in order... 

Ride/Suspension: Amazing ride. Since switching to a 19" wheel and cramming some more tire in there, I actually drive it in R+ mode more than the rest.

Power: This car, like most boosted cars, is super sensitive to heat soak. During this past summer, which somehow is still here in October, I could swear there were 100 hp swings as it tried to manage 95+ deg days by yanking timing. Still happy with the exhaust but wish they had made it louder; again, spoiled by the S2000 I think.

Brakes: Brakes are finally toast. A few track days killed them. Still in awe of the brembos.

Wheels: Rolling 19 x 9.5 +45 Titan7s wrapped in 265 RE71Rs. Hell of a daily driver combo, I love it.

Space: Trunk space with seats down is incredible, this is probably the most versatile car I've owned outside of a truck...for obvious reasons.

Misc: Rattles all over depending on the day. They come and go. No persistent ones. Probably due to the stiff engine mounts. Adds character. No fucks given.

Ownership: No end in sight, best daily driver I've owned. ~26-28mpg. Scary fast when it's not an oven outside.

Minor Grief: I genuinely hate the cruise control on this car. It works in % of a single mph, and not great at it. I've even watched it adjust down an mph after cruising happily for a period of time. It has a mind of its own, and takes anywhere between 4 and 24 button presses to increase a single mph, which it may or may not like staying at.

Also, I really wish Honda would have let us choose / customize settings between the 3 modes. I'm not a fan of the R+ steering, but love the Comfort mode. I enjoy Comfort mode suspension too, but don't enjoy the throttle map etc. etc. Kinda bums me out it's all or nothing. Minor, minor minor annoyance.

Guest lobster

I saw a CTR really up close today being caged at dashbuilt.   

based on that, you should cage yours 

9 hours ago, lobster said:

I saw a CTR really up close today being caged at dashbuilt.   

based on that, you should cage yours 

I think I know the owner if it’s up near Cresson. Shame it’ll never get used to potential. 

But nah. If I were to want to run one, i’d buy it turn key: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/amp30208597/factory-civic-type-r-race-car-pictures-specs-info/

As of this month, I have owned the CTR for two years / roughly 18,000 miles. It has been an excellent car. It has retained its value. It is an epic daily driver. It is versatile as hell. It is annoying to clean. It is an epic track toy* when its cold outside. Over the last two years, I've spoken with two people who purchased it and they mentioned my thread as influencing their decision. For that reason....time for this post for posterity. 

*The Civic Type R overheats on track. End of story. 

Without modifications, in stock form, with the heat on full blast, this car will 100% overheat within two or three laps at pace if the ambient creeps above 70 degrees. Understandably, "at pace" my differ by driver and may take more laps for some or less for others and the track configuration may influence it as well...but....the check is in the mail. When she does overheat, she will go into limp mode. Limp mode may take a lap or two to clear, but it will quickly swing back to it once you pick the pace up again. Up until that point, you can feel the car pull timing. It's frustrating.

Other large related issue: the gas tank size for the CTR is the same for the Si. While not a major headache daily driving, under boost this car will drown itself in fuel. A 20 minute session will use an incredible amount of fuel, and while this isn't the end of the world - if the car is under half a tank, you will fuel starve. Big time. 

This is not anything new as you can read up on this elsewhere on the internet, but I figured it needed to be reiterated in my thread.

/rant

Hey, we're building those turn-key Civics in Austin in anyone wants to see one 🙂

The cooling issues are well documented, and while I didn't do the development I believe the package we add to the car is a major improvement and races well.  The HPD test car did a lot of miles in the desert, and spent some time in the factory heat-load chamber in this config.  It's basically bigger rad, vented hood, reverse flow hoses, 2 big oil coolers, mesh side grills, and boxed shrouding around everything.    It would be a lot for an occasional-use track car of course..

Andris