Sign in to follow this  
strengthrehab

New PB today

I went to the track and hit a new PB after the change to NT01s. Previous best was run using 285/35/19 Firestone Indy500's. With that setup, I had a best of 1:53.0.

On the new setup (305/35/18's) I ran 1:50.1 with a lot of consistent low 1:50's.

First time on R comps and I can tell I will need to practice with these. I was playing with pressures and figured 29C was the best setup.

I'm glad I hit 1:50, but I expected more with the such an upgrade in tires.

Happy but frustrated.

For those that know the car is a 2016 Mustang GT with performance package.

Pressures too high

Need more practice on street tires

NT01s are glorified street tires. Worry less about the tire and more about the nut behind the wheel.

Lol wow was drinking last night.

For nt01s at least on my heavy car I air them down to like 24

A 15 mustang should very much be in the 40’s so i would venture to say your improvement is less the tires and more you.

Tires help but I would assume without seeing video that what you did with those nittos you could of done in your street tires

So you know how for the last couple years or whatever everyone at DE has telling you to be smooth (which you do a great job of). Now start being less smooth! SMASH the brakes right now you have a huge gap between full throttle and full brakes. Then start finding spots where you can get to 100% throttle for 10 ft here and there. Then start carrying more speed in the corners. I would have spent half the lap yelling GO GO GO GO  if I was in the right seat.

There is one line problem into the launch, keep turning right further and turn left a little later so you can be going straighter over the launch so you can go faster and its safer.  

So you know how for the last couple years or whatever everyone at DE has telling you to be smooth (which you do a great job of). Now start being less smooth! SMASH the brakes right now you have a huge gap between full throttle and full brakes. Then start finding spots where you can get to 100% throttle for 10 ft here and there. Then start carrying more speed in the corners. I would have spent half the lap yelling GO GO GO GO  if I was in the right seat.

There is one line problem into the launch, keep turning right further and turn left a little later so you can be going straighter over the launch so you can go faster and its safer.  

This. You probably have an easy 3-4 seconds just carrying a tad more speed into corners, coasting less at the end of straights, and getting on the throttle that little bit sooner. The car has lots of power, and looks like the balance is pretty good, so you just need to get comfortable really using more of the traction circle at corner entry and corner exit. 

I'd also recommend giving it at least maintenance throttle when turning into the diamond's edge complex. Your Mustang probably needs just a tad of speed scrubbed off at the end of the straight, then turn it on maintenance throttle or a tad more (depending on if that helps the car rotate), then get all your braking done really hard.

I'd probably say corner entry and exit are the things that take people the absolute longest to go from "intermediate" to "advanced" in rough DE skillset levels. It's all about confidence that the car will do what you want it to, and you have the car control skills to deal with any unexpected things like "I just went WOT where I usually do while loaded up entering T2 at TWS, and the tail just stepped out big time - no big deal, do the right stuff and off we go, rear tires are probably greasy." 

Yeah, I've caught some good slides yesterday. I was actually surprised I would slide so much on the NT01s.

I haven't looked at data yet, but I know there was some speed increases in certain areas of the track based upon video review.

FWIW current 200TW street tires can hold just as much lateral Gs as something like NT01/RC1. The big advantage of rcomps is longitudinal grip, so once acclimated you should be picking up time under braking.

I'm making the jump from 340tw to the nt01. I ran re11's for a while but I set my previous best on Firestone indy500s. The new tires are quite a bit wider.

I think I'm gonna take up the offer to go to a member day and just practice.

This. You probably have an easy 3-4 seconds just carrying a tad more speed into corners, coasting less at the end of straights, and getting on the throttle that little bit sooner. The car has lots of power, and looks like the balance is pretty good, so you just need to get comfortable really using more of the traction circle at corner entry and corner exit.

I'd also recommend giving it at least maintenance throttle when turning into the diamond's edge complex. Your Mustang probably needs just a tad of speed scrubbed off at the end of the straight, then turn it on maintenance throttle or a tad more (depending on if that helps the car rotate), then get all your braking done really hard.

I'd probably say corner entry and exit are the things that take people the absolute longest to go from "intermediate" to "advanced" in rough DE skillset levels. It's all about confidence that the car will do what you want it to, and you have the car control skills to deal with any unexpected things like "I just went WOT where I usually do while loaded up entering T2 at TWS, and the tail just stepped out big time - no big deal, do the right stuff and off we go, rear tires are probably greasy."

So what you're saying is at the brake markers at diamonds edge, I should just hit the brakes briefly then maintenance throttle then off, turn and go?

Also, the straight off of there, the same thing? Soft brake, turn, maintenance then go?

Part of the thing too is the upgrade to r16/r12 brakes which bit harder than I thought this slowing me down.