Sign in to follow this  
Boostedtaco

NASA at Hallet June 9-10 2018!

Holy Moly.

That's the one!   There is another video from one of the cars he went by and you can see his car airborne in the rear view mirror.  Michael made a GREAT choice and some very quick thinking based on what another driver brought up from their years of experience there at hallett.  Figured I would pass that info along to others.

I've always had that in the back of my mind about T2 runoff, but never needed to use it.  obviously that's better than tires and trees.   DAMN close call cutting between the other cars!

Yeah, pretty sure Michael still has some seat cushion up his butt over 10 years later!   Ginsberg/Cooke's car, the red #5, had the video where you could see him shoot by in the rear view mirror like a rocket.   Scary stuff but turned out well.   The brake failure was the brake line pushing out of the crimped banjo fitting.   

I've always had that in the back of my mind about T2 runoff, but never needed to use it.  obviously that's better than tires and trees.   DAMN close call cutting between the other cars!

I've posted this before on a different thread. 

Yeah, pretty sure Michael still has some seat cushion up his butt over 10 years later!   Ginsberg/Cooke's car, the red #5, had the video where you could see him shoot by in the rear view mirror like a rocket.   Scary stuff but turned out well.   The brake failure was the brake line pushing out of the crimped banjo fitting.   

Failures like that always happen when you need it the most. (cuz you're pushing the hardest!)

I've posted this before on a different thread. 

Chris Albin at an SCCA race last year.  I skipped that race, but it's still talked about on the Prod racing forum..  (Albin- driver- and Eric Prill- camera car are both regular posters there.).    Car was able to be repaired and raced again.

Brake failures suck. There I said it.

Also note how incredibly difficult it is to make a split second decision to turn away from the track in the heat of the moment if the driver makes a mistake or has a mechanical failure. Turn 11/12 at Road Atlanta is a prime example where cars can be saved by turning left into the motorcycle turn with runoff and gravel trap but end up totaled in the front straight walls cause the drivers tried to make the corner instead of bailing out.

How many folks left foot tap brakes on straight before braking zone?  Any stories to share where they discovered brakes were gone and made a different decision that saved a bad accident?

How many folks left foot tap brakes on straight before braking zone?  Any stories to share where they discovered brakes were gone and made a different decision that saved a bad accident?

I did this a bunch because I would get terrible pad knockback. 

I always left foot tap, but had driven crappy cars with knockback problems for 10 years.   not yet have I had to deal with lost brakes.

In my experience left foot tapping (or squeezing the front brakes after a tank slapper on two wheels) only helps to reset the pads after knock back. If you are squeezing/pressing hard enough to see if you still have brakes you are killing your lap time on every long straight.

I check the pedal after every turn in EVERY car I drive.   I've had a big brake failure and at the speeds our cars can carry, I'm not doing it again.

Oh the joys of a late pass into T2.  It made both of us slower.  I got back up on him from T3-T4, but when he brakes for T4, I just gave up for that lap.  He seemed to think he was still in a Blitz race.

Perhaps he had to take the pass there as he couldn't get around in other places but was faster overall. Sometimes people forget that lower powered cars can be faster but will never get around without a little assistance.

Perhaps he had to take the pass there as he couldn't get around in other places but was faster overall. Sometimes people forget that lower powered cars can be faster but will never get around without a little assistance.

Valid point about lower power cars however in this case it was a TT1 car passing a TT2 car. Power was not the issue.

Oh the joys of a late pass into T2.  It made both of us slower.  I got back up on him from T3-T4, but when he brakes for T4, I just gave up for that lap.  He seemed to think he was still in a Blitz race.

This is the same one I asked about. Figures.

Even if you have a TT license or comp license there still should be some form of evaluation yearly outside of contact forms. Even if only peer given and sanctioning body reviewed. 

As Matt said if I start becoming this person, smack me please and I will go on my way.