STANG KILLA SS

TWS guy, first time at Cresson: Advice?

I know y'all are somewhat kidding...but let your mind start wandering and do the "what if" scenario about the back straight and COTA and certain parts coming loose....at 150+ that is kind of scary!! At Road America there are three very long/fast straights with really hard turns...would hate to lose things....one of the reasons I always do a little brake check/pump/knock the pads back move.....

On 6/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, El_Tortuga said:

Dodged a bullet - could have significant consequences. Time for new ARP studs all the way around.

those were ARP studs all the way around...

On 6/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, Matt93SE said:

Just a thought but if you had that many lugnuts loose on one wheel, I wonder if your installation technique has a flaw.  i.e. do you ensure the wheel is centered while installing lugnuts?  (are you using hubcentric rings?)

when I mount wheels, I run one lug up just until the taper on the lug contacts the wheel's seat.  then I wiggle the wheel a little while I'm running up the next lug across the wheel and only get it barely snug.  same for #3 and 4.  by #5, everything should be well centered and I tighten to 2.41 uggaduggas on the impact, and hit all 5 lugs at least once more.  

the only time I've ever had a lugnut come loose was when I was using my small air compressor at the track and it was low on pressure because I was using air faster than tank could recover, causing my uggaduggas to be below normal calibration values.  I confirmed by doing my normal tightening sequence and then checking it with a torque wrench.   what used to be 2.41 uggaduggas = 85ft lb, they were only about 50ft lb or 1.42 uggaduggas.   so I upped my travelling torque spec on my portable air compressor to 4 uggaduggas and a double check with the clickyclicky stick set to 85.

i think it was more likely just user error and bad luck. ive put my wheels on the same way for 4.5 years.  yes using rings.

my guess is something happened, something i did. ie who knows my wife may have come out and distracted me or something and i may have simply never fully tightened them or something.  i think this was a isolated incident. luckily caught in time. just hoping it didnt damage wheel. ill be curious to see how much is left of the plastic hubcentric rings.

Deep pre-race rep catches things that you might not catch so easily....just had this conversation with my guy today....because they found a Howe Ball Joint that was going bad - they replaced it, of course - the IRONY of it is this: I broke a Howe Ball Joint a few years back at COTA going through the Esses....no damage but an underwear changing ride!! So, in looking for a replacement - that's how I met him....crazy stuff! BTW - it's REALLY RARE to break a Howe Ball Joint - they are literally the gold standard for tube frame race cars. 

51 minutes ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

those were ARP studs all the way around...

"new"

ARPs wear out too, just takes a lot longer. Popped one of my stockers after 15 events (4 DE/11 AX) and 18 months of daily driving. ARPs went 66 events (43 DE/23 AX) and at much higher loads, and 3.5 years of daily driving before I popped one. Both were classic fatigue failures. 

2 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

I know y'all are somewhat kidding...but let your mind start wandering and do the "what if" scenario about the back straight and COTA and certain parts coming loose....at 150+ that is kind of scary!! At Road America there are three very long/fast straights with really hard turns...would hate to lose things....one of the reasons I always do a little brake check/pump/knock the pads back move.....

1) You caught the jokes up there, did ya ;)?

2) I would rather not think about the long snooze inducing (in my BRZ) straight between 11 and 12 at COTA Haha! 

3) 150... like I've ever sniffed that lol...

On 6/25/2019 at 5:04 PM, joesurf79 said:

150... like I've ever sniffed that lol...

Kph? 🤣

(=93mph)

25 minutes ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

Kph? 🤣

(=93mph)

Ooohhh good point !! Sigh. Time to ls swap lol