STANG KILLA SS

TWS guy, first time at Cresson: Advice?

Sign up for chin at MSRH next week come down, like the entire Trackjunkies forum will be there to give you solicited and unsolicited advice. 

you really need to post data from AiM or even video with some basic GPS speed   You'll get the most helpful information from this board if you did that. 

18 minutes ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

i dont trust these tires. i was over slowing alot.

also my brakes were just back to working, but werent quite enough so i was gun shy of them too.

but mostly just still learning. only my 7th time to cresson.

Only 7th time! Pretty damn good imo. Yeah i feel ya with those tires, i wouldn't risk my car and push it. I'd get some real rubber like r7/pirelli take offs for next time. I'm pretty sure with just better tires you'll be in the 2:1x easily! 

went back to the track last monday.

after success with the OEM rear pads fixing my braking issue, i swaped to some more agressive ST-43 pads i had laying around. they worked great as well. with more stopping power of course.

pretty uneventful day of fun. still hating the R888R tires though. horrible grip. cant wait to burn threw them. got a set of Rivals waiting.

CFHle46.jpg

ga1FExB.jpg

kl0ye7j.jpg

fJgTLfL.jpg

Zu9fAQC.jpg

leHNmLH.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kTmDFCE0WA&t=248s

1 hour ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

got a set of Rivals waiting.

hope you don't plan on doing more than 10 minutes of outright pace on them - was not impressed with them at all coming from RS4s in WRL.

done MANY full sessions on them. even with 20 minutes on Rivals im faster than 5 minutes on R888Rs

i tried the RS3s on the camaro.

late getting this posted, and not much to post.

Finally was able to get the best out of the Toyo R888Rs. 30 psi was the ticket, hit 31 and they would start to slide, push, and shutter. still worst than the BFG Rivals, but the best the R888Rs have been. luckily this should be there last outing. rears are nearly bald.

now that i got the exhaust joints fixed and sloted, so they clamp good and stay together, now its finding the next weak point. keeps just pulling the exhaust out of the rear hangers. its like the whole exhaust is about 1-2" too short. had to repair the exhaust wrap too. i think it drug on trailer unloading and cut it.
GpH6OeN.jpg

Stupid Porsche club rules. have to wear pants. the ONLY HPDE that has this rule. there lucky i forgot i had my plaid pajama "pants" in my luggage! i would have worn them as a FU. had to rent a fire suit.
GwfVBhm.jpg

SLC superlite
TUGSFMu.jpg

this was the first somewhat warm day with the new hood (mid 80s) and i felt like it was doing some cooling good. i felt like the temp needle was a good 1-2 marks lower than before.

the brakes with the ST-43 rear pads were great.

watched a bimmer go off. looked like maybe a harsh downshift locked the rears initiating the slide.
https://youtu.be/FRw1FTC4EQo

got to do 1/2 lap with a 488 Pista. i ran him in a early morning session and he was a road block. super slow. then in the afternoon, it had to be a different driver, MUCH faster.
Uly5k9K.jpg

xGO4rf6.jpg

i had gone off prior in the session. got black flaged for that, 1/2 lap into the battle with the 488 Pista. right as he went off too.
excuses: my toyos were shit and on there last session (rears bald)
i could get him under braking, but he could get on power SO much earlier with rear engine. and i was no match for his 710 HP.
really bummed i got black flaged and had to come in. i really wanted to play some more.
https://youtu.be/RuFDGdr61Pw

random cell vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5nq5fisdUw

Are those hot pressures or cold pressures?   Are you using the factory TPMS while on track? Do you have a crew waiting in the hot pits?  

Being able to differentiate between 1psi is some next level skill.   you should be racing at the top of your class!  instead you only ever drive on the 3.1 in HPDE with sub-amateurs 

Do you have any laps with overlaid data in the video?  

Would be great to see a lap with your 30psi run vs your 31psi run as a comparison.  

4 hours ago, lobster said:

Are those hot pressures or cold pressures?   Are you using the factory TPMS while on track? Do you have a crew waiting in the hot pits?  

Being able to differentiate between 1psi is some next level skill.   you should be racing at the top of your class!  instead you only ever drive on the 3.1 in HPDE with sub-amateurs 

Do you have any laps with overlaid data in the video?  

Would be great to see a lap with your 30psi run vs your 31psi run as a comparison.  

beast mode

damn how much coffee have you had!?

always hot pressures. anyone that talks in cold pressures should be shot!

useless.  every driver, day, track, car, etc will produce different amounts of heat/psi gain.

10 minutes ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

damn how much coffee have you had!?

useless.  every driver, day, track, car, etc will produce different amounts of heat/psi gain.

Such passion! 

how are you getting your hot pressure readings?  I’m still super impressed that you can really feel the difference of a single pound of pressure! 

Especially on such shitty R888R but I would probably it take those over some as3 all seasons tho.

21 minutes ago, STANG KILLA SS said:

A smidge excessive

yeah i run TPMS in all my wheels. didnt have it in the camaro, now that i do. i find the info invaluable. i can get pressures exact. as soon as the checkered drops i pull them up and look and memorize. to change each wheel the amount needed. even within 30 seconds after lifting the pressures will start to change. sometimes as much as 2-3 psi by the time im to my pit area.

lol its not that i can sense 1 degree, it was more of a cut off point. the tires were ok at 28, 29, 30, and 3 sessions in a row, i would notice the tires all the sudden were sliding more, pushing more, shuttering more. and every time i would look down the tires would have clicked up to 31 psi that lap. hence the diagnoses i made. for my particular car.

back to the track!

Midnight thrash
2 days before the event i had the old Toyos removed and back to fresh BFG Rivals. more on that later.

when i went to go put the rear wheel back on i notice this. on both rear rotors.

zEz0yZ3.jpg

with no way to order in time, in a panic i look up every Autozone, Advanced, Oreillys, and Napa within 3 cities. NO one has any. i finally track down a single set at an Oreilly. unfortuntly on such short notice could only get drilled rotors, so it will just happen again. also swaped to Hawk DTC 60 rear pads

rAmNhZP.jpg

then as im putting on the very last wheel, the drivers front. one of the lugs welded itself to the stud. i thought "ill show this lug". ill get the impact on it. well that just made things worse. finally had no choice but to cut off the lug. once removed i ran a die over the stud to clean it up.

H6HH6eC.jpg

nkgG2SF.jpg

then the next day. 1 day before i leave the alternator goes out. (possibly from getting wet from vented hood? or just age and heat most likely) luckily this was my first vehicle that had the alternator right on top. was a 5 minute job luckily.

Monsoon
I see its supposed to rain at the track at 4 night before, so i leave early. FIVE miles from the track the bottom lets out. so i got to unload the trailer alone in a severe thunderstorm. down pour rain, 20 mph winds and lightning everywhere. got completely soaked but the job done. used the hotel hair dryer to dry my shoes 😄 genius 😄

Day of!
perfect weather the day of, and the previous day rain was so hard and fast, it didnt soak in, so no drainage across the track.

guessed wrong on cold pressures for first session and hot pressures got to 42 and 43psi! even that high the BFGs STILL out gripped the R888Rs at there optimal hot psi! grip was back and so good. it would do everything i asked of it.

rwJnF71.jpg

New Best!
During the second session i had run a 2:24.55s! and in the 3rd session a pair of 2:24.2s! beating my all time fastest laps of 2:24.9! i was so excited.
but also racechrono had two first laps on session 2 and 3 that were so fast i didnt even believe them. and they were both first lap which i thought i had found in the past to be inaccurate gps from exiting the pits.

once home and a couple days later, to my surprise and just out of curiosity i check those 2 laps on both the gopros running at the time. and i couldnt believe it they were real!
i SHATTERED my previous best lap time by 1.8 seconds!!!!!!
running a 2:23.1 and a 2:23.4!!!!!!!

oUWnZBF.jpg

Final session
Last run of the day. after a few laps i notice a new vibration. slow down for a lap and then decide to come in. seemed worse at speed and on right hand turns. i couldn't figure it out definatly wasnt RPM/motor related.

well as im prepping to load the car on the trailer and pack the jeep in the pits, a guy drives up to me with a smirk on his face. he hands me this and says "this flew off your car."

Z8rOVnT.jpg

i immediately look and find the missing hole on the drivers rear. i then check the other lugs and both nuts on either side of the missing one were completely loose. only 2 lugs were tight, next to each other, was the only thing holding on the wheel!
I tell the guy that brought it "this is gonna sound crazy, but this just made my day" cause that was gonna be a long drive home and days after trying to locate the cause of that vibration.

a roller coaster of a weekend, but worth it with a hell of a new personal best time!

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, STANG KILLA SS said:

back to the track!

Midnight thrash
2 days before the event i had the old Toyos removed and back to fresh BFG Rivals. more on that later.

when i went to go put the rear wheel back on i notice this. on both rear rotors.

zEz0yZ3.jpg

with no way to order in time, in a panic i look up every Autozone, Advanced, Oreillys, and Napa within 3 cities. NO one has any. i finally track down a single set at an Oreilly. unfortuntly on such short notice could only get drilled rotors, so it will just happen again. also swaped to Hawk DTC 60 rear pads

rAmNhZP.jpg

then as im putting on the very last wheel, the drivers front. one of the lugs welded itself to the stud. i thought "ill show this lug". ill get the impact on it. well that just made things worse. finally had no choice but to cut off the lug. once removed i ran a die over the stud to clean it up.

H6HH6eC.jpg

nkgG2SF.jpg

then the next day. 1 day before i leave the alternator goes out. (possibly from getting wet from vented hood? or just age and heat most likely) luckily this was my first vehicle that had the alternator right on top. was a 5 minute job luckily.

Monsoon
I see its supposed to rain at the track at 4 night before, so i leave early. FIVE miles from the track the bottom lets out. so i got to unload the trailer alone in a severe thunderstorm. down pour rain, 20 mph winds and lightning everywhere. got completely soaked but the job done. used the hotel hair dryer to dry my shoes 😄 genius 😄

Day of!
perfect weather the day of, and the previous day rain was so hard and fast, it didnt soak in, so no drainage across the track.

guessed wrong on cold pressures for first session and hot pressures got to 42 and 43psi! even that high the BFGs STILL out gripped the R888Rs at there optimal hot psi! grip was back and so good. it would do everything i asked of it.

rwJnF71.jpg

New Best!
During the second session i had run a 2:24.55s! and in the 3rd session a pair of 2:24.2s! beating my all time fastest laps of 2:24.9! i was so excited.
but also racechrono had two first laps on session 2 and 3 that were so fast i didnt even believe them. and they were both first lap which i thought i had found in the past to be inaccurate gps from exiting the pits.

once home and a couple days later, to my surprise and just out of curiosity i check those 2 laps on both the gopros running at the time. and i couldnt believe it they were real!
i SHATTERED my previous best lap time by 1.8 seconds!!!!!!
running a 2:23.1 and a 2:23.4!!!!!!!

oUWnZBF.jpg

Final session
Last run of the day. after a few laps i notice a new vibration. slow down for a lap and then decide to come in. seemed worse at speed and on right hand turns. i couldn't figure it out definatly wasnt RPM/motor related.

well as im prepping to load the car on the trailer and pack the jeep in the pits, a guy drives up to me with a smirk on his face. he hands me this and says "this flew off your car."

Z8rOVnT.jpg

i immediately look and find the missing hole on the drivers rear. i then check the other lugs and both nuts on either side of the missing one were completely loose. only 2 lugs were tight, next to each other, was the only thing holding on the wheel!
I tell the guy that brought it "this is gonna sound crazy, but this just made my day" cause that was gonna be a long drive home and days after trying to locate the cause of that vibration.

a roller coaster of a weekend, but worth it with a hell of a new personal best time!

Dodged a bullet - could have significant consequences. Time for new ARP studs all the way around.

Wow dude, glad it wasn't worse on track. I've had some moments after the session/day like that. Pretty scary, makes me open up the wallet for upgrades more easily.

Just a thought but if you had that many lugnuts loose on one wheel, I wonder if your installation technique has a flaw.  i.e. do you ensure the wheel is centered while installing lugnuts?  (are you using hubcentric rings?)

when I mount wheels, I run one lug up just until the taper on the lug contacts the wheel's seat.  then I wiggle the wheel a little while I'm running up the next lug across the wheel and only get it barely snug.  same for #3 and 4.  by #5, everything should be well centered and I tighten to 2.41 uggaduggas on the impact, and hit all 5 lugs at least once more.  

the only time I've ever had a lugnut come loose was when I was using my small air compressor at the track and it was low on pressure because I was using air faster than tank could recover, causing my uggaduggas to be below normal calibration values.  I confirmed by doing my normal tightening sequence and then checking it with a torque wrench.   what used to be 2.41 uggaduggas = 85ft lb, they were only about 50ft lb or 1.42 uggaduggas.   so I upped my travelling torque spec on my portable air compressor to 4 uggaduggas and a double check with the clickyclicky stick set to 85.

Not saying this was his issue - but it *could* be.... Even though I have a 100 ft lb torque stick on my impact - we still use a torque wrench after ever session (hey, my wife has to keep busy!!) and...of course....after every wheel/tire change....follow your checklist religiously...don't skip / skimp...not saying that you were...but if you don't have a checklist - get one...laminate it...mark it off - have a pre-event and post event list and well as pre-session and pos-session list. Just saying...

1 hour ago, Captain Buddha said:

Not saying this was his issue - but it *could* be.... Even though I have a 100 ft lb torque stick on my impact - we still use a torque wrench after ever session (hey, my wife has to keep busy!!) and...of course....after every wheel/tire change....follow your checklist religiously...don't skip / skimp...not saying that you were...but if you don't have a checklist - get one...laminate it...mark it off - have a pre-event and post event list and well as pre-session and pos-session list. Just saying...

Pretty close to this. 80 ft-lb torque stick and use torque wrench to final 100. I don't retorque (never seen any loosening) every session but visual check tires, pads/rotors, and (usually) wheel spokes after every session. I always change tires at track, if running multiple days I re-torque the next morning.

Good advice on the laminated checklist.

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

My list:

Gas? check

oil?  meh.. I checked yesterday and there's no puddles under it.

air pressures?  tires look round.

SEND IT!

LOL - I wish these GT2 cars were that easy! I will say this though - I always knew I had a very good finish percentage...I figured out how good last night - finally got around to filling out my SCCO Pro / Trans Am license application including the competition resume - list all races and finishing positions for each....which I listed...as well as any DNF/DNS, etc....and the reason for that....

So - out of 65 races (as of the June Sprints)....how many races? I had ONE DNF - that is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!! That particular DNF was from a track bar that let loose on the first lap - an item that had never been needed to have safety wire previously....well, I'm special LOL! So, yep, that was itI I also had one DNS - so if it were not for that I would've had 66 races - that one was due to a broken axle that happened at HPR during qualifying - I was peg legging it...literally almost undrivable! Had a talk with the Chief Steward - advised that I would start and pull in after the halfway point - I just needed the points / halfway / finish mark. The next day's race would have nothing for me to gain position point wise in the chase and I did not want to cause further damage....there ya go. I've had times when I probably should've called it a day, but did not - Indy Runoffs 2017 - had a flat tire with a few laps left to go...kept on driving and took the checker, in 29th place...but I still took the checker...I was NOT about to give up....and yeah, I finished ahead of a lot of other folks!!

So - proper prep is the key. And BTW - I am not speaking of my technical prowess - I have a pro crew - they do an AMAZING job....hence the numbers that I have.

It would take me a while to look back at the RX7's reliability history, but the Nissan was a 100% finisher with a completely full logbook.  I had one race where I pulled in with 3 laps to go due to a tire going bad, but I still took a "finish" per SCCA's rules and was 3rd/5.

The RX7 has had a much spottier record, but it's not been due to prep- always a freak thing.  lost a rear axle bearing + seal, broke the 3rd link in half, broke an axle at Hallett.. stuff like that which you can't predict.

21 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

My list:

Gas? check

oil?  meh.. I checked yesterday and there's no puddles under it.

air pressures?  tires look round.

SEND IT!

Show off. Where do you find that kinda time?

I mean I roll up, and the car hasn't fallen off the the trailer, so obviously the tires are on tight, and the gas was weighing it down. No smoke on start up, and the gauge needles move - it's ready to be sent.

^sarcasm dialed to ten, but I always end up having to fix some accidental self sabotage.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat..   I must admit I'm pretty lax when it comes to prep and whatnot.  so far it hasn't had drastic consequences.  it's not like I've run out of gas mid-race or blown the engine cause I ran it out of oil.   but there are definitely things that I've gotten lucky on that didn't fail on track.  caught metal-metal pad just before it fell out of the caliper for example.  (but I checked 'em friday morning before the 8 test sessions and there was at least 20% left!)

22 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

Good advice on the laminated checklist.

Do they make Mini size Laminating Machines? I'll make ones for Matt, Cliff and myself on post-it notes, so we can keep them handy in the wallet:

1) Arrive / Coffee.

2) Full tilt boogie.

3) Tacos and/or beer.

:cool: