STANG KILLA SS

TWS guy, first time at Cresson: Advice?

wow what a humbling experience. i went from used to haveing one of the fastest street car times usually at TWS, to being a complete and total newb.  out there all over the place, not knowing were to go, where to brake, etc.

really struggled to learn the place. the sim time helped a bit, but doesnt prepare you for the elevation changes, bumps, etc. its all corners no rests for car or driver. no time to cool brakes.

after lunch i got a bit better but the car started letting me down.

REALLY struggled with T6 & T8. and the braking point and line into T2.5 as well. Also T10 with its crazy late apex on the backside. got lots of learning to do.

also the place felt like some 5 star resort compared to TWS.

30848389_1786110384775112_67733089798330

That's why Robert and I say its the best track in Texas, and what we both consider a "technical" track. Hope you at least enjoyed it. Its a tough track to get a perfect lap.

Also, there are plenty of discussions on here about turn 6 and 10. They are both hard to get right.

Are you still on stock shocks? If so, and you decide to ditch them soon let me know and I will help rid you of them...

i doubt ill ever sign up for the 1.7 or 1.3. i cant imagine ever getting a clean lap without traffic. especially if your one of the faster cars in your class.

ChinTrackdays is running a triple header later in the year, running all 3 configurations over the course of 3 days.

Are you still on stock shocks? If so, and you decide to ditch them soon let me know and I will help rid you of them...

yes, when i go to DRMs ill be glad to.

wow what a humbling experience. i went from used to haveing one of the fastest street car times usually at TWS, to being a complete and total newb.  out there all over the place, not knowing were to go, where to brake, etc.

really struggled to learn the place. the sim time helped a bit, but doesnt prepare you for the elevation changes, bumps, etc. its all corners no rests for car or driver. no time to cool brakes.

REALLY struggled with T6 & T8. and the braking point and line into T2.5 as well. Also T10 with its crazy late apex on the backside. got lots of learning to do.

I think a lot of people there were in the same boat as you.  When I'm one of the faster guys on the track, then that tells you a lot.  ;)

I did a couple of 'follow the leader' sessions with some guys from out of town.  Not sure it helped them, but it's a 'drink from the firehose' kind of track, so to speak, when it's your first time out there.

ChinTrackdays is running a triple header later in the year, running all 3 configurations over the course of 3 days.

Edge Addicts is also November 17-19.  Trying to get them to do like Apex does on a couple Monday's and run the 1.7 both ways.  That way, you'd get all four configurations in one three day event!

http://www.edgeaddicts.com/events.html

With Chin, how many Run Groups did they have yesterday on the 3.1 and # of cars per?  Glad you seem like you enjoyed the track and will be back.  I have not ran with Chin yet.

only 25 guys signed up. so they just did open track all day. no sessions, no run groups. just go run when you want for as long as you want. was like 7 hours available track time they said.

also got to meet the guy that runs the twin turbo WW2 themed first gen camaro that runs in the optima street car series.

he didnt have his car there, but i recognized him from TV/youtube. i think i was the only one that knew.

Small world. I think I was Mike's first employee back in '99 when I was in high school and he and his dad mainly built motorcycles. They were super talented fabricators and painters back then, but have come a long way. His camaro is absurd.

also got to meet the guy that runs the twin turbo WW2 themed first gen camaro that runs in the optima street car series.

he didnt have his car there, but i recognized him from TV/youtube. i think i was the only one that knew.

only 25 guys signed up. so they just did open track all day. no sessions, no run groups. just go run when you want for as long as you want. was like 7 hours available track time they said.

Man, I should’ve skipped work and signed up. Of course with that much track time, I’d probably need to have a second set of tires ready for after lunch.

Mike Dusold. Super nice guy. Would never know that inside the clark kent demeanor lurks the heart of a lion tamer. Car is amazing too. Went for a ride with him and its amazing how powerful the G forces are in all 3 directions.

i would have liked to have him drive my car with me shot gun. but opportunity never rose. i think it was his first time there too/learning the track.

(going back in time a bit here for full post)

well time to get back to road courses. My first time to MSR Cresson.
(warning: lots of pics)

been just running my street pads lately at the Autocross's, and origonal rotors, they were more than shot.
P2YDXs6.jpg

spent 3 weeks researching what race pads i wanted to try next. not much info on them yet, but the people that ran them loved them. The Raybestos ST-43 compound. well i called every shop in america and even Raybestos themselves. entire country was out. waited 3 months for them to finally produce some more.
dblqFrH.jpg

replaced the rotors, with Stoptech/Centric blanks
stock rotors weighed 23.5 lbs, new rotors weighed 24lbs. probly the difference of the holes.
McHGMSg.jpg

also my steep driveway entrance had drug a flat spot in my headers primary tube on the driver side. metal was paper thin. and when i wraped them it then cut the wrap. so i re wrapped that section. and made this redneck galvenized skid. ugly and ghetto as hell, but works awesome.
un36AH6.jpg

Headed off to Cresson to try MSR for the first time. definatly alot nicer facility than i was used to at TWS. first thing i came across was these vettes, not encouraging!
YFhccXf.jpg

cVZSft5.jpg

LesYLNF.jpg

also these
murdered out Mclaren
w9kjsrc.jpg

UEiUqvs.jpg

g1nDbk7.jpg

garage full of skittles. pick a flavor
v8Xt0tg.jpg

Qj9XnYJ.jpg

race day! what a humbling experience coming to a new track. i was used to usually haveing one of the fastest street car lap times at TWS to being a total newb again! i did some practice on Assetto Corsa sim to try to learn the track. i found it very difficult to learn. alot more technical i thought.

had to go on a Monday to get the full 3.1 mile track. luckily only 25 of us signed up. and about half were new to the track like me. and it was an open track day. no sessions or groups. 7 hours of run when ever you want, how ever long you want.
krwjYZ9.jpg

i found the new pads to have too much initial bite, and were also over powering my rear duralast GT pads, the car would only straight line brake, which made turn in tough, especially for a newb learn where that point was.
HyzbzjF.jpg

i struggled most of the day to get tires pressures/temps up. a sign i wasnt even close to pushing the car enough. but i knew that as i spent most of the time tip toeing around trying to learn the place.
iTQYlDj.jpg

over heard the guys running the event (Chin) call Corvettes "Gods Chariot" several times. lol i had never heard that before. damn catchy!
iYXQe0E.jpg

i dont know what Sonic puts in the burgers, but apparently its testosterone. after lunch i started to get my balls back and push a bit more. CTNmaJs.jpg

but it was short lived, my new found comfort level was quickly met with overheating the brakes, several times. to the point it even backed off my front bleeder screws, and letting brake fluid leak and steam/smoke out. eating and discoloring the caliper powder coat too. the rubber nipple covers were smoking/melting too.
on the second to the last session i boiled and lost the brakes completely. pedal went straight to floor.
UBjqUQ7.jpg

also exhaust came off again....
08Tczcy.jpg

track seemed to not have breaks. for the driver, or to for the brakes to get a rest.
xyOPpyj.jpg

zJeZJUJ.jpg

hWeBFc4.jpg

7MQCkcq.jpg

when you spot the photographer at 100 mph :D
3BXskOd.jpg

this picture is a perfect image of my impressions of MSR. Elevation change, and it seemed the designer wanted every corner to be off camber, blind, and with a insanely late apex.
FcbEyQQ.jpg

on the second to final session is when i completely lost the brakes. boiled them. so with 30 minutes left in the day after some cool down time. i went out. hoping they had cooled. i putted around for the first 2 laps, to see if they were back. they were. so i braked super gentle the rest of the session/day and it worked. car lasted the entire 30 minutes and i had a great time. this is that final session, minus the first 2 "do i have brakes?" laps.

was running a best of 2:29-2:30s most of the day.
well when the white flag droped for the end of the day, i decided to go for it. gave as much as i was comfortable with. ended up shaving 3 seconds and ran a 2:27 flat for my final lap! ironically exactly what i had run in Assetto Corsa sim. you can see that fastest lap at 17:41 in the vid.
p4r8n0X.png

was alot of fun, dispite some setbacks. but ive got alot to learn still. 4 corners im still completely lost on.

STANG KILLA - Chin and Edge Addicts have 3.1 events coming up on F 6/15 and M 6/18, respectively.  I'll be at the EA event.  I have plans the Friday night of the Chin event - if I can move that to Saturday night, I'll probably run the Chin, too.

nice yep im watching both of those! right now im trying to go to the edge on the monday, so my wife can go this time. fridays dont work for her. hope to meet you!

well i got a bit behind on editing and posted these. but better late than never :D

took the exhaust off and put four 3/4" slots in each side to help them clamp better.

zATKuBM.jpg
it actually worked, until the exhaust came off again. but this time when i jacked it up to my surprise the joints were all still intact, it had just sliped off the rubber hanger in the back by the tips this time. which i kind of remember not being able to get that all the way back on last time i reassembled it.

lost a center cap on the new wheels, my guess is o-ring got so hot it melted/softened enough to let it pop out. i also need to turn the rotors, there warped horribly.

morning warm up

6V0QYqw.jpg

trying to catch the fast guys. i had already been out half a session in the heat of the afternoon. brakes and tires were already fading. these guys were quick. it took every bit of talent and concentration i had to try to reel these guys in. lots of fun.

also set my new PB of 2:26.2
OedeGP9.jpg

sadly the next full 3.1 mile track day isnt until October :(

Brakes really don’t come back so to speak...it’s a downward spiral for the most part. What fluid are you running? Extra cooling? If you’re having brake issues at MSR then wait until you come to ECR!!

Motul 600.

full race spindle ducts to fog light holes with custom scoops

when you bringing one of those TA2 Camaros to Cresson? i want to drool on one.

Try Castrol SRF. You’ll use less/bleed less in the long run. No TA2 / SCCA Super Tour / Majors races at Cresson. I’ll run the Monte out there every now and then.

went back to Cresson Monday for the full 3.1 course
had probably my best track day ever. i wasn't nervous or anxious. just chill and relaxed. and it showed in my driving. i wasn't having to think at all, everything was just flowing and happening naturally. despite the video showing all the worst clips.

ySjhemY.jpg

also another event down with no exhaust (loosening) issues, it seems my slots fixed the clamping.

fuSqb0y.jpg

sadly my suction mount for the lap timer broke, so i dont have any evidence if i broke my PB.

OlSqWrr.jpg

the cooler weather let me throw anything i wanted at the car. was really nice. i could focus on pushing, rather than on conserving. made big improvements into T2. now if i could just figure out T6! #growballs

X5vXqdz.jpg

d5v5L4q.jpg

iZQyM5V.jpg

UADl1Mq.jpg

the butterflys and moths were insane that day. i was having to clean them out of my grill and brake ducts after every session.
7iHR60w.jpg