STANG KILLA SS

TWS guy, first time at Cresson: Advice?

finally getting back on a track after TWS closing. headed to Cresson this monday. First time there to learn track.

any tips or info?

Watch the plethora of lap time videos in this forum for whatever config you're running, stay on the pavement as best you can...and have fun? 

5ae0d1eaa9366_tenor3.gif

reference laps/videos from 

1.3 config - https://www.tracklaps.net/tracks.php?TRACKID=MSRC13

3.1 config - https://www.tracklaps.net/tracks.php?TRACKID=MSRC31

1.7 config - https://www.tracklaps.net/tracks.php?TRACKID=MSRC17

keep #lobsterthings to a minimum. 

ive started watching some youtube to learn the track. but so many turns and there all linked. got lots of watching to do before monday.

im running the 3.1

I was going to do another complete writeup like I did with the 1.7 CW, but its alot more work with the 3.1. There is alot to learn if you've never seen the track so don't get frustrated if you don't get it right off the bat. 

If you read some 1.7 CCW notes, that'll get you part of the way there, just remember to ignore notes about wagon wheel.  :biggrin:

thanks to this forum i downloaded MSR 3.1 for Assetto Corsa sim. i plan to turn 100-200 laps to learn the track before monday.

seatsmall_zps1d173752.jpg?hotlinkfix=152

Took me about 1.5 sessions to get comfortable with the 3.1 -- then I found I liked it as much or more than TWS.  I like the 3.1 way more than just the 1.7.  Love the dukes of hazard hill on the "new" side :-)

In general -- especially in the new section -- the apexes are much later than they seem.  I found my first couple of sessions I would turn in -- then realize I was way too early and have to sort of double apex the turns.

Once I found the real apexes -- it started to flow.

Mike

For those of us who have been to COTA and MSR-C on the 3.1, which do you like better / more enjoyable / more fun?  Not talking the rock star feel you have at a place like COTA, but, the track.  I'll go first - I enjoy the 3.1 much better.  Maybe it's being the "slow" version of the V8 Camaro's, but, over 50% of the track being two long straights at COTA is not that much fun for me.  Plus, I find the 1.3 section of the 3.1 more challenging overall than COTA.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my two hours with SCCA TNIA at COTA last August - wish they were going back.  Bang for the buck, the 3.1 is hard to beat.

If I should take this out of this thread, I will.

The MSRC 3.1 is the best track in Texas, IMHO. It's got everything. COTA is pretty boring.

Yeah, at least one agrees with me!  Do we have two, maybe three, etc.?

I've always said the 3.1 is the best. Then folks would argue TWS, but they can't anymore. TWS just takes bigger nuts.

Yeah, at least one agrees with me!  Do we have two, maybe three, etc.?

The MSRC 3.1 is the best track in Texas, IMHO. It's got everything. COTA is pretty boring.

i haven't done the 3.1, but id do the 1.7 again 100x more than cota. 

i dont think ill ever like MSR 3.1 as much as i loved TWS. but it will be my new home, so ill have to learn to like it.

COTA ill probly do once as a bucket list due to price. but i dont really care for it. and neither do most pro drivers. its just SO technical its no fun. even on simulators its not any fun.

COTA ill probly do once as a bucket list due to price. but i dont really care for it. and neither do most pro drivers. its just SO technical its no fun. even on simulators its not any fun.

I find COTA to be boring because it isn't particularly technical. MSRC 3.1, on the other hand, has all kinda crazy, technical corners. Obviously, we have not settled on a definition of technical: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/6077-what-makes-a-track-technical/

I only got to drive TWS once but it was way more fun than MSR 3.1.  To me the 3.1 doesn't feel like a 3.1 mile track it feels like two tracks connected (which it is).  The 1.7 and 1.3 sides are so different to me it doesn't feel like a cohesive 3 mile track.  

i haven't done the 3.1, but id do the 1.7 again 100x more than cota. 

If you like the 1.7, you'll love the 1.3 and the 3.1 (1.7 and 1.3 combined) configurations, especially in a car like yours.  Edge Addicts has a 3.1 event on 5/7 and Apex has an 1.3 event next month on 5/19.

I'll be at both, though, I think my son will get his first taste of the 1.3 with Apex and I'll watch from the sidelines rather than try to run two run groups.

i doubt ill ever sign up for the 1.7 or 1.3. i cant imagine ever getting a clean lap without traffic. especially if your one of the faster cars in your class.

You will miss out then. Flow and traffic is fine on the 1.7, especially in higher run groups.

Plus, you drive a vette. You may find you are not as fast on the 1.7 compared to other cars as you are accustomed to. It's not a power layout.

i doubt ill ever sign up for the 1.7 or 1.3. i cant imagine ever getting a clean lap without traffic. especially if your one of the faster cars in your class.

your first time on the 1.7 you probably wont be the faster car in your class.    It's an amazing track that rewards skill not horsepower.  

/Also punishes unmercifully those who neglect their vehicles.  

I can't talk for the 1.3, but that's hardly ever a problem for the 1.7 with it's wealth of passing zones. Or you can run it with BMWCCA advanced groups where you can pass anywhere with a point by and the whole track is open to the faster car.