clifton23

RE71r again or something else?

I have been through multiple sets of RE71r tires on my E36 M3, 245/40/17 on a 17x8.5" wheel.  I like them, a lot.  I get 2 to 2.5 weekends out of them which isn't all that surprising based on other's experience.

I recently purchased a new set of track wheels (17x9.5") with the goal to squeeze 255/40/17 on the E36.  The wheels came with a set of Continental Tire Challenge BimmerWorld take offs 245/40/17.  Supposedly these are Hoosier compounds, just re-branded for Continental, but I cannot confirm this.  While they say 245, their true section width is 275!  I have no history or data on these tires. They were purchased used because I was purchasing the wheels and they tagged along.  The buyer told me he only had two 30 minute sessions on them but the history from BimmerWorld is unknown.  So it is unknown how many heat cycles these tires had on them before I put 5 through them at Cresson.

At Cresson on the same day the Conti's were .3 seconds faster around the 3.1 vs the RE71r, but the RE71r were much more fun to drive. The Conti's just seemed to want to give up mid turn and I lacked confidence in them.  

I can't say if it was tire pressures, or if they are heat cycled out, but my worn out RE71r (no tread pattern left but not corded, yet) were almost just as fast.

Here is where I need some TJ advice...   Do I slap on a set of 255 RE71r or go with so other R-Compound tire?  

Contis are an endurance tire that I've never heard a good word about, so not surprising. RE71Rs (and Rival S) are also ludicrously quick. If you want a slightly slower, but longer lasting street tire then go RS4. They love heat and wear like iron. Team TrackJunkies.org just did ~15 hours on a set of 225s and they still have tread left. Think they had just hit wear bars. If you want a DE 100tw rcomp that's no faster than Super200s but lasts much longer, then go RC1 or NT01. If you want to light money on fire to be DE Champion then R7s or ??

For DE I'd run RC1 hands down.

If you want a DE 100tw rcomp that's no faster than Super200s but lasts much longer, then go RC1 or NT01.

interesting.. Thanks for the input!  I will research them.

Contis are an endurance tire that I've never heard a good word about, so not surprising. RE71Rs (and Rival S) are also ludicrously quick. If you want a slightly slower, but longer lasting street tire then go RS4. They love heat and wear like iron. Team TrackJunkies.org just did ~15 hours on a set of 225s and they still have tread left. Think they had just hit wear bars. If you want a DE 100tw rcomp that's no faster than Super200s but lasts much longer, then go RC1 or NT01. If you want to light money on fire to be DE Champion then R7s or ??

Have you run both the RS4 and RC1 in the same tire size? I'm about to go with wider wheels and I was thinking about switching to the RS4 from the RC1 so I could drive on the street occasionally. I'll be buying a second set of wheels in the new size as soon as the budget allows so I can have both.

I'm curious how far off they are from the RC1. The RC1 felt like a big jump from my previous sets of ZII.

I know I'd kill a set of super200s way to fast so I'm not even looking at those till i have another set of set of wheels.

On the conti's, I ran the 225 size on my e36 street car when I was tracking it and liked them. They were certainly grip limited in that size but better than 235 street tires (star specs and rs3) and really consistent. The street tires did not have the same ultimate grip and fell off, especially in the heat.

I'm not surprised the re71's are close in speed, ran them on my coupe and they were much closer to an R compound and did not fall off much but they gave their life for it. 

But, that margin should be bigger, maybe the conti's you have are cycled out, stored too long etc.

A few questions if you don't mind,

What's the offset on those wheels?

How much work to the rear fenders did you do to get them to fit?

Are they rubbing at the top inside the rear fender? 

Rear spring rate? Bar? Was the car looser, tighter or the same balance with them? 

On the conti's, I ran the 225 size on my e36 street car when I was tracking it and liked them. They were certainly grip limited in that size but better than 235 street tires (star specs and rs3) and really consistent. The street tires did not have the same ultimate grip and fell off, especially in the heat.

I'm not surprised the re71's are close in speed, ran them on my coupe and they were much closer to an R compound and did not fall off much but they gave their life for it. 

But, that margin should be bigger, maybe the conti's you have are cycled out, stored too long etc.

A few questions if you don't mind,

What's the offset on those wheels?  17x9.5 ET35  

How much work to the rear fenders did you do to get them to fit?  Fenders are rolled pretty good, but I didn't grind out the liner before rolling, so its not as good as it could be.  I need to do it again just to get the fenders the same side to side.

Are they rubbing at the top inside the rear fender?  yes only on the passenger side.  I need to redo the fender rolling to get them equal.

Rear spring rate? Bar? Was the car looser, tighter or the same balance with them?  750 #/in rear,  OEM sway in rear and Turner in front.  Car was looser with the Conti's

Thanks for the info. I'd make sure to bang/roll out the inner fender so there is no rubbing. That's an area of focus right now for me as I work some issues out. Could a loaded up rear rub hard enough to "brake" that wheel and make the car loose?

You could give a fresher set of the conti's a try, the price is hard to beat and they do last a while. The used ones are a bit of a crap shoot since they are take offs. They might have a qual session on them or a full race. New tires are out there.

As a general rule I would NOT listen to cabo but in this case maybe give those RC1's a try. They have a 245/45 but it looks too tall, 25.7 inches. The 255/40 looks better, at 24.8. If you're fitting a 245/40 "hoosier" then they should fit. Think the s2k guys like them too and those are a little closer in weight to the e36.  I would not look at it as a race tire step from all the info I have. In fact, you may find the re71r is as fast or faster. 

I think you'll be disappointed with any other street tire. I just checked prices and re71r no longer cost much more than other options if at all. The 255/40 looks like a nice size too. Could maybe save a bit with the azenis in that size but I've not tried the newest model.  

For race tires, try the Hankooks. The price is as good as the RC1 and they are faster. They just might not last as long. 

I think I am going to go 255 NT01.  The section width is roughly 10mm less than the continentals, so I know they will fit.  I would go RE71r but I would rather have something close in performance but longer lasting.

I'm really liking the Falken Azenis 615k+, they are nearly as fast (0.5-1s slower) as the RE71r's but wear so much better. They feel great and at least for me, seem to hold up well enough to long sessions. I've got 4 track days and an autox on mine and they look about the same as RE71r's after an autox or a couple of sessions on track (if I had run my RE's they'd be trashed by now for sure).  

I ended up trying out mine because the RS4's were on back order last time I needed tires and my autox RE71r's were wearing too much to be cost effective at the track.

Have you run both the RS4 and RC1 in the same tire size? I'm about to go with wider wheels and I was thinking about switching to the RS4 from the RC1 so I could drive on the street occasionally. I'll be buying a second set of wheels in the new size as soon as the budget allows so I can have both.

I'm curious how far off they are from the RC1. The RC1 felt like a big jump from my previous sets of ZII.

I know I'd kill a set of super200s way to fast so I'm not even looking at those till i have another set of set of wheels.

I have, but have no A/B testing. My car and my driving have been under development the past couple of years across those different tires. The RS4s are a VERY good tire though. You won't get the rcomp longitudinal grip, but every bit of lateral grip.

As a general rule I would NOT listen to cabo

Says the guy suggesting hanKOOK rcomps that heat cycle out in one day. Pfffft ;) I'll take RS4s over their rcomps all day.

I think I am going to go 255 NT01.  The section width is roughly 10mm less than the continentals, so I know they will fit.  I would go RE71r but I would rather have something close in performance but longer lasting.

I ran NT01s on my E36 and now on my coupe; grip all the way to the cords and it takes a while to get there. Very predictable as long as you don’t let pressures get too high. I shoot for 34* hot and that puts my tread section just right

Thanks for the info. I'd make sure to bang/roll out the inner fender so there is no rubbing. That's an area of focus right now for me as I work some issues out. Could a loaded up rear rub hard enough to "brake" that wheel and make the car loose?

It likely isn't braking a substantial amount, however it IS increasing the spring rate substantially when it hits, which will for sure make the car loose at that corner. You really want to address this. I had very minor rubbing that I ignored for a long time, and after fixing it I was a little faste, but the car was MUCH easier to drive. 

I ran NT01s on my E36 and now on my coupe; grip all the way to the cords and it takes a while to get there. Very predictable as long as you don’t let pressures get too high. I shoot for 34* hot and that puts my tread section just right

Thanks!

It likely isn't braking a substantial amount, however it IS increasing the spring rate substantially when it hits, which will for sure make the car loose at that corner. You really want to address this. I had very minor rubbing that I ignored for a long time, and after fixing it I was a little faste, but the car was MUCH easier to drive. 

Yep, I purchased a fender rolling tool instead of renting it again.  I will hit this up again before my next event.

Says the guy suggesting hanKOOK rcomps that heat cycle out in one day. Pfffft ;) I'll take RS4s over their rcomps all day.

See this is what I'm talking bout. You wanna e-fight bro??!?!

You'll get a lot of mixed reviews on them. On the civic they were just as fast as the sm7 when comparing actual size, so much so that I can't tell you what tire I was on for any best lap at any track since I ran them both. The only factor was availability, who could get tires to me at the 11th hour since that's how it often ends up. I'd get 3 good weekends out of either tire.

For every guy that points at them and goes eww there's another that will tell you they are within 1 to .5 sec of the Ho Ho's. I'm probably in the latter camp. Thing is, on the e36 you're either using the 245 or the taller 275 in 17 and that would prob need flares and some metal work in the rear to fit. 

But hoosier makes a nice "245" that's not too tall and fits with some aggressive rolling in the rear. 

kinda where my thoughts are on this one, rear rub no good = car do bad things. 

See this is what I'm talking bout. You wanna e-fight bro??!?!

I'm ready for some keyboard fisticuffs any day of the week! [emoji23]

I am happy to say the NT01s performed great this weekend.  I turned a half second fast lap vs the RE71R in much much hotter weather.

They seemed to work great, you were hustling. I like the maxxis RC1s i have, but I may try the NT01 next when these go. The RC1 seems to survive quite a few heat cycles before they stop really gripping.

They seemed to work great, you were hustling. I like the maxxis RC1s i have, but I may try the NT01 next when these go. The RC1 seems to survive quite a few heat cycles before they stop really gripping.

Ya he was hauling out there.  My RC1's still feel good after ~6 weekends worth of use and have at least a few weekends left in them.  The common wisdom on forums is that the NT01's are slightly faster when ambient temps are above ~80F, and RC1's faster below that, but otherwise very similar and wear and react to heat cycles about the same.  I'd like to try the NT01's after my RC1's are done.

Ya he was hauling out there.  My RC1's still feel good after ~6 weekends worth of use and have at least a few weekends left in them.  The common wisdom on forums is that the NT01's are slightly faster when ambient temps are above ~80F, and RC1's faster below that, but otherwise very similar and wear and react to heat cycles about the same.  I'd like to try the NT01's after my RC1's are done.

Thanks for the tip Josh - looks like the NT01s are the summer shoes to use in TX then! 

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but there seems to be knowledge that's relevant to my situation. I'm planning on grabbing a set of RC1s for my E36 M3, but wanted to check on sizes. My wheels are 17x8.5 Kosei K1s, and I wanted to get the 235/40-17 tires. I don't see those in stock anywhere, so I was thinking about just stepping up to the 255/40-17. That's on the wide side for a 8.5" wheel, but it seems like it should work just fine. Does this sound right?

I was planning on ordering direct from Maxxis, unless there are some other good ideas.

255's on 8.5 are fine (I run 255 on 9" and they're about perfect), I've run 255's on a 7" wheel and that was okay but pinched enough to not be worth it.