itrack

MSRH Lap Times

2 hours ago, lobster said:

I have a seat and the seat base, I just need the mounting brackets.  for then right side.   haven't been super motivated to install a passenger seat just to give people rides because the car is already over weight as is and the seat would have to come out for any NASA event. 

No worries, the floor is fine. A couple of ratcheting straps, and I’ll be ready to go. 

Date: 1/25/2020

CCW lap time: 1:48.211

Car: Subaru Berzzzz

Weight: 2700 ish with my goof-ball grin in the seat 

WHP: 183 avg NASA WHP

Tires: 255/40/17 Toyo RRs

Lessons learned from TT4:

Fresh Toyo RRs are NOT pirelli DHs. They are not Hoosiers. They are what the backmarkers use in TT lol...

Those who are in "the zone" immediately outta the grid put in 3 laps, one of which is stupid fast, and pull off, then win.

There is strategy in getting the room to set that flying lap. Namely be fastest, grid first and run away. 

I need to sharpen my skillset and not be sloppy. 

Also, having a power / weight ratio at the bleeding edge of the rules probably would have helped. That and not eating the entire quart ziplock of chocoloate chip cookies my wife made lol. 

3 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

CCW lap time: 1:48.211

Car: Subaru Berzzzz

Weight: 2700 ish with my goof-ball grin in the seat 

WHP: 183 avg NASA WHP

Tires: 255/40/17 Toyo RRs

Lessons learned from TT4:

Fresh Toyo RRs are NOT pirelli DHs. They are not Hoosiers. They are what the backmarkers use in TT lol...

Those who are in "the zone" immediately outta the grid put in 3 laps, one of which is stupid fast, and pull off, then win.

There is strategy in getting the room to set that flying lap. Namely be fastest, grid first and run away. 

I need to sharpen my skillset and not be sloppy. 

Also, having a power / weight ratio at the bleeding edge of the rules probably would have helped. That and not eating the entire quart ziplock of chocoloate chip cookies my wife made lol. 

Even on RRs I'd say you have another 2 seconds minium out there considering my main competition in TTE used 205 RRs and went 1:48.4 CCW in a 2400lbs / 140whp ~135avg) Miata. Comparing actual size vs actual size you should get within 1 second of R7 all else the same imo. 

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Even on RRs I'd say you have another 2 seconds minium out there considering my main competition in TTE used 205 RRs and went 1:48.4 CCW in a 2400lbs / 140whp ~135avg) Miata. Comparing actual size vs actual size you should get within 1 second of R7 all else the same imo. 

His whip is far from optimal to the ruleset. If anything, I recall it being a TT5 build if he'd just lose camber plates. But yeah Joe, hurry it up 🤣

2 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

His whip is far from optimal to the ruleset. If anything, I recall it being a TT5 build if he'd just lose camber plates. But yeah Joe, hurry it up 🤣

I'm aware, I did the bench racing quick mafs. Either way 2 seconds sounds about right for TT5 Lite vs TTE. Just a goal to shoot for even on RRs.

29 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Even on RRs I'd say you have another 2 seconds minium out there.

Good to know! I need to consistently find them...I looked for them but they weren't at the bottom of the bag of cookies... sooo🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

Good to know! I need to consistently find them...I looked for them but they weren't at the bottom of the bag of cookies... sooo🤷‍♂️

look at the bright side.... your still like 30 seconds faster than me driving my 650hp cobra lol

I hear they have some good cookies at gapplebees.... you should take me there one day.

1 hour ago, Talley said:

look at the bright side.... your still like 30 seconds faster than me driving my 650hp cobra lol

I hear they have some good cookies at gapplebees.... you should take me there one day.

Or only 2s ahead of me on worn out Falkens in July during my only trip to MSRH. Joe will eventually get into the 1:45's, but it's fine for him to take his time since it makes me look better.

16 minutes ago, BRZ4Science said:

Or only 2s ahead of me on worn out Falkens in July during my only trip to MSRH. Joe will eventually get into the 1:45's, but it's fine for him to take his time since it makes me look better.

1:45.8 achieved in October of last year on Pirelli DH scrubs (pages ago homie 😉). Only once, but certainly again on the forthcoming purple crack...

For some reason I didn't have it this weekend. Fatigue, lack of mental acuity, guilty feelings leaving the wife to watch Jake all weekend, I left my skills at home... pick any of them, I dunno? All things being equal, and the car hasn't changed since October except the tires so it has to be the nut behind the wheel. Consensus is I should have been closer to the 46s...

I did see a predicted low 47 la few times, but would bobble or blow it. Miss the 5th / 4th DS into diamonds or sugars, or otherwise not be crisp and smooth like beer should be. Get in my head and then the checkers come out. I tried to visualize a bit to speed up "getting in the zone" but then there would be a delay or I'd lose it. 

New challenges all around - Hoosiers, focus, and sleep all before the next round in Cresson! 

Now that I think about it, the fastest I've run was playing with friends on a member day, just hanging out. No pressure. Maybe I psyched myself out? Maybe My "Zone" is Zen and not kill mode? Playing with peeps on track and not really trying? Trying too hard might have bit me?

Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times

9 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

1:45.8 achieved in October of last year on Pirelli DH scrubs (pages ago homie 😉). Only once, but certainly again on the forthcoming purple crack...

For some reason I didn't have it this weekend. Fatigue, lack of mental acuity, guilty feelings leaving the wife to watch Jake all weekend, I left my skills at home... pick any of them, I dunno? All things being equal, and the car hasn't changed since October except the tires so it has to be the nut behind the wheel. Consensus is I should have been closer to the 46s...

I did see a predicted low 47 la few times, but would bobble or blow it. Miss the 5th / 4th DS into diamonds or sugars, or otherwise not be crisp and smooth like beer should be. Get in my head and then the checkers come out. I tried to visualize a bit to speed up "getting in the zone" but then there would be a delay or I'd lose it. 

New challenges all around - Hoosiers, focus, and sleep all before the next round in Cresson! 

Now that I think about it, the fastest I've run was playing with friends on a member day, just hanging out. No pressure. Maybe I psyched myself out? Maybe My "Zone" is Zen and not kill mode? Playing with peeps on track and not really trying? Trying too hard might have bit me?

Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times Lap times

Makes sense. I'm about as competitive just with friends as I am at the Time Trials but I do find that push hard but focusing on technique, lines, or other fundamentals helps me go faster instead of just over driving. I have the most fun playing cat and mouse with friends, which is usually good for lap times too. 

You can always blame going slower on having a kid. Excuse ladder usually goes: tires, conditions, kids, and then sickness/sleep. 

31 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

ahhhh the crucible of competition.......

Unpopular opinion: I don't see the point of lap time threads 🤷‍♂️

Each day the track conditions are different, the challenges one must overcome are different. Comparing a TT end of day merge from July with one from January makes no sense, just like comparing a time you did once at a DE vs what you can pull off under pressure (and even more, repeat it). And just because I could run a time in my spec that would put me on pole at a member day doesn't mean it would happen when it would matter (and never did)....a time's value is only in its delta from others on the day of the time taking. Unless it's from a sample with other times taken, I don't understand why it has become the yardstick of progress.

Again, I'm just talking out of my ass here but while I understand it's a good notch on your growth wall to look back on, actually comparing them from a couch is pointless. 

8 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Again, I'm just talking out of my ass here but while I understand it's a good notch on your growth wall to look back on, actually comparing them from a couch is pointless. 

The bench racing is weak with this one.

34 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't see the point of lap time threads 🤷‍♂️

Each day the track conditions are different, the challenges one must overcome are different. Comparing a TT end of day merge from July with one from January makes no sense, just like comparing a time you did once at a DE vs what you can pull off under pressure (and even more, repeat it). And just because I could run a time in my spec that would put me on pole at a member day doesn't mean it would happen when it would matter (and never did)....a time's value is only in its delta from others on the day of the time taking. Unless it's from a sample with other times taken, I don't understand why it has become the yardstick of progress.

So I'd say there are 3 reasons/uses for the thread:

1) Lap times give you a point of reference, especially for new people or new tracks. You get a general goal to work towards and some information about how close or far off pace you are. 

2) Helps track personal growth and let you know when someone else who you compete/run with also makes improvements (if someone you used to be right with finds a big chunk of time you know that you're no just having an off day if you all of a sudden can't keep up).

3) Dick waving and shit talking. There's no prizes so all we've got are pride and bragging rights.

14 minutes ago, BRZ4Science said:

3) Dick waving and shit talking. There's no prizes so all we've got are pride and bragging rights.

Straight and true your words are

Can I join? 

CCW lap time: 1:50.5

Car: Spec Miata

Weight: 2430 

WHP: 123

Tires: 205/50/15 Toyo RRs

Battery: Low

My best SM time so far.. with traffic. Driver skill was lacking the rest of the session when I got a better gap.. Missed pole at 0.05 sec. 

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Battery: Low

lolol.

What sense does it make to burn the warning in to the video! AiM...shame.

giphy (4).gif

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

lolol.

What sense does it make to burn the warning in to the video! AiM...shame.

giphy (4).gif

Lol.. Leave it to the Italians..

On 1/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, Kong Sheng Han said:

No worries, the floor is fine. A couple of ratcheting straps, and I’ll be ready to go. 

You joke, but a friend of mine actually did that one time:

Be "one with the car" reminds me of entering a demolition derby race with some buddies of mine. We all worked on this old truck to get it ready and the owner of it got to drive, and I "won" riding shotgun. We had taken the stock seatbelts out, and replaced the drivers side with an actual harness. Absolutely no provision for anything on the passenger side aside from the remnants of the bench seat and a dashboard to hold onto. Even we figured that may be a little dangerous, so they ratchet strapped me into the seat. I say they and not me, because I couldn't reach the handles or releases on the straps. I was "one with the car" until the time I could be released.

I always thought that it was the first one to the checker wins? Maybe I've been doing it wrong? LOL

Qualifying and fast lap times are great...but when it comes race time...that's what matters, sure, maybe you've got the pole overall...or in your class...but when that green flag drops you better have your race craft and your head on a swivel...it's not about one fast lap...it's about EVERY lap until the checker!

31 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

I always thought that it was the first one to the checker wins? Maybe I've been doing it wrong? LOL

Qualifying and fast lap times are great...but when it comes race time...that's what matters, sure, maybe you've got the pole overall...or in your class...but when that green flag drops you better have your race craft and your head on a swivel...it's not about one fast lap...it's about EVERY lap until the checker!

wooo!   you scared me, I thought I had been posting in a different thread.  

I checked tho.   Yep... this is the lap times thread.   See pic for reference 

MSRHlaptimes.JPG

If people don't see the point of lap time threads, why open it? 

People like to make things hard than necessary or...just like to hear themselves complain.