Hollywood

2019 Miata

Annnnnnnnnnnd discuss:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a19717774/theres-more-to-the-2019-miata-than-a-more-powerful-engine/

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/09/181-horsepower-2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-chat/

https://drivemag.com/news/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-specs-partially-leak-online

Spark Notes:

• Jump to 181 hp / 151 tq
  • Dual mass fly-wheel
  • Drops CD-player
  • Telescoping steering wheel
  • Rear view camera
  • Other tech nannies

From my perspective as an ND daily driver:

• Jump to 181 hp / 151 tq - WTF this would have been nice to have. It's not just an ECU flash, but a jump in engine quality. Damn. The ND isn't a slouch but it sure could use more power. It makes me wonder if they have upped the fueling capacity too, since that seems to be the power limiting issue for aftermarket FI setups.
  • Dual mass fly-wheel - I personally don't think NVH is bad in the ND1 as it is. Maybe the hotter motor needs it. Meh.
  • Drops CD-player - Good. Super don't need it.
  • Telescoping steering wheel - OMG I would very much like this. It's hard to get a good compromise between pedal reach and steering wheel position in the fixed length ND1.
  • Rear view camera - visibility is pretty good and the car is small, but this would be nice. Meh.
  • Other tech nannies - The only real negative here. I love The ND1 for its remarkable simplicity. It's a car for driving. No beeps or chirps or automatic braking, just a straight up sports car. I would not welcome lane detection or reverse object sensing and all that nonsense.

Hand't even considered that... what did they do for NC1 and NC2?

NC1/2/3 are all same motor/specs, only thing that really changed was front end. I think MX5 Cup/PWC/CTSCC just required updated front bumper.

NC1/2/3 are all same motor/specs, only thing that really changed was front end. I think MX5 Cup/PWC/CTSCC just required updated front bumper.

Jesus you’d think I’d know that...shame shame shame on me

From my perspective as an ND daily driver:

• Rear view camera - visibility is pretty good and the car is small, but this would be nice. Meh.
  • Other tech nannies - The only real negative here. I love The ND1 for its remarkable simplicity. It's a car for driving. No beeps or chirps or automatic braking, just a straight up sports car. I would not welcome lane detection or reverse object sensing and all that nonsense.

Unofrtunately, the electronic nannies are being forced upon us by our nanny state.  they've determined through mass funding that it's less costly to stick a camera and beepers on every car out there than to fight the lawsuits when someone backs over the neighbor's dog or is texting and drifts into the oncoming lane.

That's too bad about the loss of the CD player, as that's my favorite way to get music.  Not that I listen much.  I don't want more nannies, but I'll ignore the ones I don't like.  I would welcome a backup camera.  The best part is the 181 hp / 151 tq.  That more than makes up for the minor annoyances.

If the 2019 comes in real colors, like True Red or Comp Yellow, it would be pretty hard for me to pass up.

I sure hope Mazda puts a manual transmission in it that can handle the increased horsepower and torque.  The initial and the upgraded ND transmissions are fragile.  A more powerful ND will likely frag them more dramatically and more quickly.

I sure hope Mazda puts a manual transmission in it that can handle the increased horsepower and torque.  The initial and the upgraded ND transmissions are fragile.  A more powerful ND will likely frag them more dramatically and more quickly.

I hope it gets a better tranny too.  Of course, they very well may put in an upgraded tranny without telling anyone.  Don't want to admit the original was weak.

As for the '19 fragging more dramatically, not likely.  Torque is basically the same (+3 ft-lbs).  What they did was make it breathe so the torque remains higher into the rev range.  Basically, the refinements that were in the international-spec 1.5L have now been applied to the 2.0L.  If you'll recall, the 2.0L was kind of a last minute thing in 2016 to satisfy the U.S. market, but it retained SUV-spec rev characteristics.  I'm glad to see a rev happy ND -- makes it more Miata-like.

I'm also hoping that, if cup cars need an engine transplant to stay competitive, some of the earlier models come up for sale cheap