Sign in to follow this  
Captain Buddha

SCCA Super Tour at Hallett April 6-8, 2018

WOW - what a cold/crazy/fun weekend! Lows in the mid-20s...a little bit of sun here and there...brrrrrrrr!! I did not even use my cool shirt system LOL! I had my personal best at Hallett - that is always a plus. My team mate Max Nufer put it on the podium with WINS both days!! I only have video from Sunday....I won't go into all the details but I'll let the video speak for itself....

Race start is at: 8:15 (2 pace laps due to cold).

Incident between the self-proclaimed "PRO" driver and Max Nufer is at: 9:03 (sure hope I'm never a "PRO" like that...).

I lost it due to a flat tire at: 21:52. 

WOW - what a cold/crazy/fun weekend! Lows in the mid-20s...a little bit of sun here and there...brrrrrrrr!! I did not even use my cool shirt system LOL! I had my personal best at Hallett - that is always a plus. My team mate Max Nufer put it on the podium with WINS both days!! I only have video from Sunday....I won't go into all the details but I'll let the video speak for itself....

Race start is at: 8:15 (2 pace laps due to cold).

Incident between the self-proclaimed "PRO" driver and Max Nufer is at: 9:03 (sure hope I'm never a "PRO" like that...).

I lost it due to a flat tire at: 21:52. 

Well that was a rude move. Looks like he gave back as well as he got (maybe out of control from the original hit?). So your bud was able to recover and return to 1st from that ? Well done.

Yes, quite a rude move, it was not a payback move but a "get it back under control move" -I do like the karma at the apex!! Max came back and got 1st in GT2!

Also, the self-proclaimed "PRO*" (I mention that because he made sure to mention it, rather arrogantly/rudely....after telling me to $^ off.....) came back and got 1st in GT1. Quite a rude dude....and a POS. I hold myself to a higher standard though. I'll sum up the last part of the convo Max and I had with this guy (he's in his 50's - I'm 47 for comparison sake), Max said "I'm only 18 but I think I'm much more mature than you...." (after that we just walked away)

I've got quite a few friends that are true PRO drivers - they're are mostly in shock after seeing this video....also, one of them, a long-time Trans Am team owner said "I've never heard of him, he must not be much of a pro." (TA is the series where this "pro" did a few races).

And since I'm on my soapbox - I've raced against quite a few pro drivers, as has Max (he much more so than I)....they do not drive like this at ALL....they drive like professionals!

Funny part is I was paddocked right next to those guys, in the same place we've been for years..   off the track, they're quite nice folks and have helped me out several times when I needed to borrow a tool or whatnot.   on the track?  obviously not so much.... 

(I'm trying to think from the perspective of the other driver and see if there's a reason for benefit of the doubt..)  It's one thing to make a move and protect your line.  it's another to completely run someone off track.  I *wonder* if the intention was a poorly-timed protect move..   about 1 sec too late, IMO..   had he made the move earlier, Max wouldn't have been able to come around the inside, but would have likely still be able to drive around him on the outside and been gone.  it would have been a rude, but legal, move.  instead, both cars get to do a lot of bodywork.  :\

I had some FOMO about that weekend... until I saw the temperature.

Pretty nasty move by that dude.  For the most part anyone who insists on having you know they are a "pro" driver is a pro driver of the Milka Duno ilk... Sounds like he was a treat to deal with.

Whatever you are doing to help out this young man, even if its as small as just promoting and speaking highly of him, is super commendable.  Trying to work your way through the ranks in racing is tough enough without us trying to eat our young.  Good on you for helping out the next generation, we need more people like that!

You nailed it, Vinnie! Yeah, so now every time I see this douche I'll be sure to say to others (in my loudest voice possible), "Hey, there's that PRO driver!! Maybe in 6 or 7 years you'll be as good as him!" LOL!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I sponsor Max Nufer with a ride in my #3 Manufacturing News Camaro. He's FAST!! And also one of the nicest folks you'll ever meet! His parents and brother Nicko are awesome as well. I'm going to miss racing with him when he heads off to med school later this year. He's definitely helped me up my game/skillsets!

You nailed it, Vinnie! Yeah, so now every time I see this douche I'll be sure to say to others (in my loudest voice possible), "Hey, there's that PRO driver!! Maybe in 6 or 7 years you'll be as good as him!" LOL!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I sponsor Max Nufer with a ride in my #3 Manufacturing News Camaro. He's FAST!! And also one of the nicest folks you'll ever meet! His parents and brother Nicko are awesome as well. I'm going to miss racing with him when he heads off to med school later this year. He's definitely helped me up my game/skillsets!

I bet I can drive faster than you too.. Sponsor me?  :D

It was cold! Seriously cold (I race prototypes). Open cockpit and I was worried my hands would never warm up. 

Ya, definitely cold.  I couldn't get the car started Sat morning because it was so cold the oil viscosity kept the engine from turning fast enough to build compression and light off.  it was cranking about 150rpm and I had 120+PSI of oil pressure while cranking!!!

add carbs and no chokes, and it was a little iffy if it would start!   We wound up rolling the car back in the trailer (pushing it uphill both ways!), and putting a propane heater under the front of the car.  1hr of that and the thing was finally warm enough to crank over and fire up.

Ya, definitely cold.  I couldn't get the car started Sat morning because it was so cold the oil viscosity kept the engine from turning fast enough to build compression and light off.  it was cranking about 150rpm and I had 120+PSI of oil pressure while cranking!!!

add carbs and no chokes, and it was a little iffy if it would start!   We wound up rolling the car back in the trailer (pushing it uphill both ways!), and putting a propane heater under the front of the car.  1hr of that and the thing was finally warm enough to crank over and fire up.

That carb lyfe yo!

Oh I would have definitely gotten it started!!  two batteries in parallel, go find a 16V battery, pull start, I'd have found a way!

..... and then I broke an axle 6 laps into the Sat race and watched the rest of the day from flag stand on turn 2. :(

We got it fixed and I was able to take home a 4th on Sunday.

Yes, definitely a cold one!  I was completely expecting a slick track because tires couldn't get up to temp, yet many track records fell that day in the cold.  I guess the benefit of more power overcame the lack of grip!