Sign in to follow this  
Captain Buddha

The Drivers Edge @ ECR - April 21 & 22!!

Any tips for driving in the rain at ECR? My only experience was at the TDE event back in March at cresson when it was cold and sleeting. I found out quickly to stay off the race line since that was like ice. 

Could be good on Sunday - a rainy Saturday might be a nice intro to the course for the 90% of drivers who have not driven it before (according to Rick). The surface is not an ice rink like MSR in the wet, so you should be able to get some decent driving in. I'll be drifting on my Hoosiers I think :)

That's a good point. The forecast for Sunday is cool and overcast but precipitation free for now  - and hey - a rainy day on track beats pretty much any day at work :P

Any tips for driving in the rain at ECR? My only experience was at the TDE event back in March at cresson when it was cold and sleeting. I found out quickly to stay off the race line since that was like ice. 

My general tenents for running in the rain

1) Look for grip, no matter where it is. Generally grip is exactly where the racing line isn't, due to the racing line being polished smooth by constantly being used.  Sometimes you will run a reverse racing line- it'll feel goofy.  Look for matte finish, not a polished shiny finish on the surface.   Sometimes experience is the only thing that will help.  Assume that all painted surfaces, including curbs, are slippery as ice.

2) Be slow to input, but quick to react.  Ask the car to do things slowly and smoothly, but react to things in a hurry.

3) Lateral traction is affected much more so than longitudal traction.  You can still accelerate and brake pretty hard in the wet.  May want to modify your line to make straightaways longer and corners shorter and sharper.

ECR = Lots of fun! I had heard that the track surface was like a moon-scape. While bumpy in some spots, it was not as bad as I had been led to believe. That layout is FUN - The elevation changes, on/off camber on hills, and chicane through 1 & 2 were a blast - I'll be back for sure.

On top of that a big thanks to the new ownership group for being so welcoming, and having a discussion / Q&A with the drivers there after the monsoon on Saturday. They're a stand up bunch that genuinely enjoy driving, and get customer service. If only it were closer to Houston...or my job closer to Dallas lol :)

Joe - great to hear that you enjoyed it!! The new owners are AWESOME!!!

And yes, the track is MUCH better than most folks believe! I'll be out there running the Monte this Saturday on a Member's Day.

...The new owners are AWESOME!!!

And yes, the track is MUCH better than most folks believe! ...

They seem to be Awesome for sure! Approachable and open to suggestions, down to earth, and focused on results + renovation - not empty promises. I for one hope like hell they succeed ! :biggrin:

And in order for that to happen, the perception I - and I think a lot of first timers had held - has to change. Mine was partly internet influenced, and partly driven by other peoples previous experiences from way back, which was that the track surface had about been carpet bombed... Patched? Sure. Could be smoother? What track Couldn't be smoother? But was it downtown Houston surface streets bad? NO WAY - Far from it!

I'll be back for sure, as will the wife. She drives a WRX with stock suspension, and relished the rally simulation in the rain Saturday :laugh:

Agree on all points, Joe. I am definitely doing my part to help promote the track!! I am right there with the new owners and I too share their enthusiasm about this track - I want it to succeed as well - it is my favorite track (well, except for Daytona!!).