Monumenticus

Copart Vehicle Inspection

So it is my understanding that none of these vehicles with come with titles - not even salvage titles.  Is that correct?  So you can only use them for parts or a track car?  You'll never be able to register them to drive on the road??

What are all of the fees involved?  There are a couple cars I wouldn't mind bidding on, but can't see what the fees are until you create a membership and whatnot.

it also requires a business name in the registration window...  how does a normal person register?

I was asking if you know a normal person.

but you can setup a DBA pretty easy

haha..  sorry..  skipped my coffee this morning.  nope, we're all junkies here.  no normal folk.

yes you *CAN* set up a DBA easily.. but I don't want to go through the effort to do that for a 1-time car purchase. more effort than the car is worth.

What are all of the fees involved?  There are a couple cars I wouldn't mind bidding on, but can't see what the fees are until you create a membership and whatnot.

it also requires a business name in the registration window...  how does a normal person register?

You simply register as a consumer rather than a business. You'll be asked to submit a picture of your drivers license. There are no fees to register. However, if you do win a vehicle, there are fees you'll pay.

"So it is my understanding that none of these vehicles with come with titles - not even salvage titles.  Is that correct?  So you can only use them for parts or a track car?  You'll never be able to register them to drive on the road??"

There are 2 main types of vehicles out at TWS: "Salvage" and "Non-repairable Salvage". Non-repairable can never be titled in Texas, or most other states, again. They are parts cars or track cars. But "Salvage" cars can be repaired and, if they pass state inspection, titled and driven in Texas. Make sure you check the title status before bidding on anything as categorization greatly effects value.

So it is my understanding that none of these vehicles with come with titles - not even salvage titles.  Is that correct?  So you can only use them for parts or a track car?  You'll never be able to register them to drive on the road??

All the cars all have titles, one of the three types; certificate of title, salvage title, or non-rebuildable title.

Everything I've learned comes from reading this: SALVAGE/NONREPAIRABLE MOTOR VEHICLE MANUAL

Section 6.3 outlines the process for going from a salvage title to a certificate of title (that will be permanently branded "rebuilt salvage"). Once you have a certificate of title you can register the car, get plates and drive it on the public roads. My Integra had "rebuilt salvage" on the title.

There is no way to go from a non-rebuildable title to a certificate of title, so those cars are for parts, or for a lucky few they get to be race cars.

I guess my minivan I'm trying to win will be the next track car

You simply register as a consumer rather than a business. You'll be asked to submit a picture of your drivers license. There are no fees to register. However, if you do win a vehicle, there are fees you'll pay.

"So it is my understanding that none of these vehicles with come with titles - not even salvage titles.  Is that correct?  So you can only use them for parts or a track car?  You'll never be able to register them to drive on the road??"

There are 2 main types of vehicles out at TWS: "Salvage" and "Non-repairable Salvage". Non-repairable can never be titled in Texas, or most other states, again. They are parts cars or track cars. But "Salvage" cars can be repaired and, if they pass state inspection, titled and driven in Texas. Make sure you check the title status before bidding on anything as categorization greatly effects value.

no.  that's the issue.   registering online requires a business name and address..  how does an Average Joe register with no business name?

I have a valid LLC if you need it to create an account with them.  I only have the LLC for registering NFA weapons.

I have a valid LLC if you need it to create an account with them.  I only have the LLC for registering NFA weapons.

...which you should probably not use for anything but that. Title issue with a car? Oh, we'll just seize your other LLC "assets."

Also, I accidentally bought this.

5a284567a5456_2017120613_11_502001MAZDAM

Copart's sign up process is convoluted. You don't need a business name or to sign up for a business account.

I figured it out and got registered under a basic account...  still says I can't bid on any of the live auctions though.. strange.

I figured it out and got registered under a basic account...  still says I can't bid on any of the live auctions though.. strange.

You have to wait for them to validate your ID. Then, you can only bid on one auction at a time. If you have any bid anywhere, that's your one. And then, you can only bid to your maximum power, which starts at like $1000.

...which you should probably not use for anything but that. Title issue with a car? Oh, we'll just seize your other LLC "assets."

Also, I accidentally bought this.

5a284567a5456_2017120613_11_502001MAZDAM

The hood is worth more than $225.

OK this stuff is really pissing me off..  one car goes up and I'm allowed to bid on it with "TX SALVAGE TITLE-FLOOD DAMAGE", then the next one that comes across with the same title type it says I'm ineligible to bid!

So far all of the cars I've wanted to bid on say I'm ineligible, yet they're all the same title type..  I've missed multiple cars <$1000 that would be great donors for a VQ35 swap in the 240...

haha.. sorry.. skipped my coffee this morning. nope, we're all junkies here. no normal folk.

yes you *CAN* set up a DBA easily.. but I don't want to go through the effort to do that for a 1-time car purchase. more effort than the car is worth.

DBAs are really quick and easy to setup. Go time the tax office, tell them you want a sole proprietorship DBA, and give them $16. Should be in and out in 5 minutes if the line isn't too long.

It's not the DBA that's the work. It's the auto salvage/dismantler stuff that I'd need I think.

Turns out my wife still has my old LLC and sales tax/use certs current. But that's doesn't do me any good if I discover I need an auto broker / rebuilder / dismantler license 10 min before the auction.

Been through process. Used a broker, for car under $7,000 car broker fee around $300, copart fee around $700. Min copart fee I believe is $400. So figure a $35 car will cost at least $435. Need to pickup within I believe 7 bus days or you will be hit with a daily rate. If serious about buying a Harvey car, read full fee structure, and anything over $1000 get a broker, fairly painless. Good luck