Datsun1973

Scatter Shield for SCCA

I did a search and can't seem to find anything on the topic but here goes.

What is legal and will pass tech with respect to a scatter shield in SCCA?

I read the GCR and I need a .125" thick piece of 4130 plate.  Okay great, how does it have to attach?  Can it be inside the car?  Does it have to go under the floor boards too?  

I have very little room between the transmission and the tunnel on the 635csi and I'm debating on putting it over the tunnel inside the car and bolting it in with 4 1/2" Grade 8 cap screws.

Any advice?  And no there isn't an SFI approved one out there for a Getrag 260 unless someone knows of one?

Thanks

Andy

Andy, what class and rule are you looking at that requires a scatter shield?  Per my reading, the only time this is required is when failure of the flywheel presents hazard to the driver.  i.e. the flywheel far enough back that it is in line with drivers feet or further.   If the flywheel is in front of your feet, then it's not required.

on most cars, the flywheel is just about in line with the firewall or slightly forward of that, so shouldn't pose a hazard to the driver..

Have you heard back from one of the instructors/chief instructor for the school yet? I sent your email on to the powers that be. Let me know if I need to follow-up for you.

Yeah thats what I read too and you are correct, the flywheel is about 2" forward of the driver's feet/pedals.  I have an email into Stirling to get his thoughts.  Thanks for the response Matt.

Haven't heard anything yet, thanks for doing that.

I got a good set of R7 scrubs ordered today for school and two brand new sets of R7's coming in as well.  Now I just need some SRF, more plugs and lots and lots of redline 40wt.......

Sure thing, happy to help! Sent a follow-up email, I figure with everyone catching up from Thanksgiving that things may be slow to happen right now.

Haven't heard anything yet, thanks for doing that.

I got a good set of R7 scrubs ordered today for school and two brand new sets of R7's coming in as well.  Now I just need some SRF, more plugs and lots and lots of redline 40wt.......

Yeah thats what I read too and you are correct, the flywheel is about 2" forward of the driver's feet/pedals.  I have an email into Stirling to get his thoughts.  Thanks for the response Matt.

Stirling?  Uh oh. (I'll stop there. ;) ) 

If you don't like the answer he gives you, give Randy Smart or Lowell Huston a shout and see what their response is before you start doing work or dropping cash.   I have yet to see a scattershield on any car outside GT1.