Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2009 BMW E90 M3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2017 Nopity Nope

I've been having a noise I didn't like when I make left turns at higher speeds. Its been getting louder and louder until it actually startled me last week. I figured it was the front right wheel bearing assembly so I order 2. I always do both sides.

I have to note, the first thing I did before I got started on today's project was to make sure the Datsun was running smoothly in case I had to do a parts run or grab lunch. I did a full tune-up on her Friday after work. I'm glad I did that because I had to make a run to the auto parts store this morning. 

I installed both wheel hub assemblies today. Firstly, I have to say it was a fun project. It was just what I needed as a car project right now. No thinking or guess work. Just unbolt this and then tighten that down to this specific torque spec. Ahhhh, modern car bliss. Hahaha.

So I did a test drive after just doing the front right to make sure my diagnosis was correct. Bingo, that fixed it. It also made the ride smoother and quieter, even in a straight line. So I brought her back home and did the other side. It took about 2 hours per side. 

I ordered a set of spark plugs at the same time as the wheel hubs, but I figured it was a bit ambitious to do both today. I'll look under the hood tomorrow morning and see if I'm up to changing the spark plugs. The coil packs are apparently a pain in the ass to get off w/o busting them. Wish me luck!!!

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

I got my first real oil analysis back yesterday. I had to have Mr Cope explain some of this stuff to me. Overall, it looks like the rod bearings are still holding up. I was looking at the "viscosity at 100C" for other E9X M3s on the bmw forum and my level seems to be consistent with other S65 engines. Also Robert was explaining to me what that means and that I should expect some shear from 60 weight oil. But seeing "Critical" on the report when I opened it kinda freaked me out. Most of the reports I saw on the bmw forum where from blackstone and they didn't seem to care about the "viscosity at 100C" being around 16.5 on their reports. I'll continue to take samples.

5b126fbf4bac3_oilsample.jpg

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

I've been driving the balls off this car for a year now. Just had to get it registered. Right rear door lock went tits up recently. Of course its giant and has a built-in computer on it so it costs $220. Hopefully this car is before BMW started coding parts to the car so you have to take it to the stealership. She'll be do for another oil change in about 1k miles. At about 5k since the last change, I put in 1 additional liter of oil. So she burns a little bit. Getting really close to 100K on the odometer. I've tired of the DSC. The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires are great street tires. I really don't care how many miles I get out of them. I'm definitely not trying to extend their life in any way.

Still love driving it. Still love looking at it. Still hate putting gas in it every 5 minutes.

Bye!

Edit: The door lock was super easy to swap out.