Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2009 BMW E90 M3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2017 Nopity Nope

Picked up a bucket list car this past weekend. Six speed manual and its got 84k on the clock. It's in good condition as best as I can tell so far. Just needs a few items addressed. There is a rattle in the rear that seems like its coming from the suspension and just some regular maintenance items that a 9-ish year old car needs. I hope to get it up on the quickjack soon to see what I can find.

5a0c602927202_20171112_111831small.jpg

derekyarbrough857

derekyarbrough857

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationAustin
  • Track Vehicle:2012 mx5

Great buy. Favorite color. Do the rod bearings if they aren't done already. 

2012 mx5 track rat

rickyboycz

rickyboycz

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCollin County, TX
  • Track Vehicle:E46 M3

Congrats!  I still miss my E90 M3.  They're awesome cars.

rickyboycz

rickyboycz

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCollin County, TX

I have a really good indie mechanic that has done a lot of Rod Bearings on these cars if you need a reference.  He's in the Plano area.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Do the rod bearings if they aren't done already. 

I just looked at the DIY for this. Boy, that looks like a fun project. (sarcasm) But I knew about this potential problem before I got the car. 

SpaceRangerJoe

SpaceRangerJoe

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationFort Worth
  • Track Vehicle:1995 M3

Welcome to the M3 club. Yours looks a little bit nicer than mine though.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Welcome to the M3 club. Yours looks a little bit nicer than mine though.

All I need to do is paint the roof orange and you couldn't tell them apart.  :laugh:

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind

Oooo purdy!

Gonna have to unfriend you now..  You've gone from Nissan to snobbery.  :)

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

I drive slow as shit. LOL

geez, now I realize I drive slow everywhere. haha!

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Oooo purdy!

Gonna have to unfriend you now..  You've gone from Nissan to snobbery.  :)

I still have 2 Nissans!  :tongue:

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind
Fair enough. :)

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

I drive slow as shit. LOL

geez, now I realize I drive slow everywhere. haha!

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

So I kept asking folks if all E9X M3s were this loud and everyone said yes. I kept thinking, man, I really doubt BMW would have it sound this way. Well, got it up on the QJ and I saw this. That's either the worlds skinniest cat, or its a straight pipe. 

5a10cb432b6ab_20171118_123628.jpg

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

As was mentioned, rod bearing are something that should be on your radar.  We've(GSR/ Greg Smith Racing) done several dozen, give me a call sometime and I'll tell you what my experiences are.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Spent some coin at the local BMW dealership on some fluids for the M3. I got 9 bottles of engine oil, 3 bottles of trans oil and 3 bottles of diff oil. That was a bit pricey coming from Z-land, but to be expected. I got the engine oil changed no problem. I took a sample from the last of the oil to come out of the engine. I sent it off to Amsoil for analysis this afternoon. Its kinda dumb that I have to wait around for 5 minutes at idle for the computer to figure what the oil level is, but alas I got it right. Also, thanks to youtube, I figured out how to reset the oil service warning. Then I started on the transmission. I got the thing drained fine. I purchased what could be the greatest tool ever invented. Its the Arnold Siphon Pump. It took about 5 pumps from the tool to drain one tranny fluid bottle. If you change your diff and tranny fluids yourself, and don't already have one, go get one. Then I ran into the big problem. I snapped the head off the fill plug bolt for the tranny. Its made of aluminum and must have been weakened from repeated tightening. I called all the local BMW dealerships for a replacement but none of them had one in stock. Apparently BMW owners don't work on their cars? *joke* Anyway, I got the size and thread pitch off the FSM and found a steel plug at autozone that would work. Since my car couldn't move, I borrowed my next door neighbor's truck and picked it up. Perfect fit. I'm going to leave it. The aluminum one is dumb to me. The lesson here boy and girls is that if you have a BMW as a daily driver, you also need a beater car for when you get stuck working on your BMW. 

5a139c0ab7031_20171120_102739.jpg

5a139c231912b_20171120_184422.jpg

5a139c3751414_20171120_210347.jpg

5a139c4feac1e_20171120_210422.jpg

Thundermoose

Thundermoose

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationLeague City

FWIW, I never torque the drain plugs on these cars.  Smallest ratchet I own and just make it snug.  

Def

Def

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Track Vehicle:Toyota SW22

Yep, and you were on what looks like the bottom of the adjustment on a pretty big torque wrench. That's not a recipe for accuracy. 

Just snug them with a small 3/8" drive ratchet and you're good to go.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Yep, and you were on what looks like the bottom of the adjustment on a pretty big torque wrench. That's not a recipe for accuracy.

Just snug them with a small 3/8" drive ratchet and you're good to go.

Its a tiny 3/8" torque wrench and it was set at what the FSM said. Also, the wrench in the picture above is not set for the torque on that bolt. It's bottomed out for storage.

PoBoyR6

PoBoyR6

2 Wheels...4 Wheels...Engines

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Spent some coin at the local BMW dealership on some fluids for the M3. I got 9 bottles of engine oil, 3 bottles of trans oil and 3 bottles of diff oil. That was a bit pricey coming from Z-land, but to be expected. I got the engine oil changed no problem.

Dave, since you've crossed over to the German dark side let me introduce you to your new go to site for maintenance items: https://www.ecstuning.com/. Its one of the best websites I've seen for organization, staggering amount of fluids and OEM vs OE parts options, tools, high quality pics of damn near every part and prices that can't be beat (I've tried many other parts sites usually the best the others can do is match prices on parts but its spotty at best). Best of all its been years since I've stepped foot in a VW/BMW/Audi dealer for parts/fluids and my wallet thanks me every time. ECS used to have free shipping for $200 or more and now its down to $50 so basically free shipping, even if its like 100lbs of fluids and parts in multiple boxes. They recently joined forces with Turner so their BMW force is even stronger. They do have some nice in house designed mild aftermarket stuff, but I've mostly used their deviations from OEM for design improvements on failure prone parts for simple things like steel plugs after your aluminum plug failed. For hard core racing/track mods your best bet is still Bimmerworld, Turner, Vorshlag.

Also for the new plug you installed you may want to put an o-ring under it, if you haven't already, since the OE plug had an integral seal on it.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Dave, since you've crossed over to the German dark side let me introduce you to your new go to site for maintenance items: https://www.ecstuning.com/. Its one of the best websites I've seen for organization, staggering amount of fluids and OEM vs OE parts options, tools, high quality pics of damn near every part and prices that can't be beat (I've tried many other parts sites usually the best the others can do is match prices on parts but its spotty at best). Best of all its been years since I've stepped foot in a VW/BMW/Audi dealer for parts/fluids and my wallet thanks me every time. ECS used to have free shipping for $200 or more and now its down to $50 so basically free shipping, even if its like 100lbs of fluids and parts in multiple boxes. They recently joined forces with Turner so their BMW force is even stronger. They do have some nice in house designed mild aftermarket stuff, but I've mostly used their deviations from OEM for design improvements on failure prone parts for simple things like steel plugs after your aluminum plug failed. For hard core racing/track mods your best bet is still Bimmerworld, Turner, Vorshlag.

Also for the new plug you installed you may want to put an o-ring under it, if you haven't already, since the OE plug had an integral seal on it.

Thanks! Sadly, I've already found ecstuning and already spent plenty of $$ there. Prices are very good. Just in this instance I needed oil now so I was willing to pay the extra money to have it now. 

And thankfully, the plug from autozone came with a o-ring. 

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

So everything that I needed to be done for peace of mind is done. 

• Engine Air Filter
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil sample sent
  • Trans Oil
  • Diff Oil

I've got new brake pads coming because the OEM pads are soooo freaking loud. Any time you put light pressure on them its like nails on a chalkboard. That's fine in a racecar, but the is a pure street car. Also, they produce more dust than the pads are made of. After one day of driving, my fancy wheels are black. So I'm going with the Akebono ceramic pad all the way around. Sorry Deutschland, I need some Nippon parts on my car.  

I've also decided on a tire. I'm going to get the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. 

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDFW

Snooping around in my new car. Found this on the "last destinations" page in the navi. 

5a19ee50db6f0_download_20171125_151511.j