robertcope

1999 Lexus SC400 - I messed up good this time

awww sheit.  I promise I'm not stupid.  well, at least I'm smart enough to remember to breathe most of the time..   I swear I punched in SC400...  maybe one of those things where you search for XXX and the "maybe you really wanted to search for YYY, so we'll show you that instead" happened....  

Maybe you can get lucky with parts bin sharing?  I looked at the wheel *bearing, and they show the same part number for rear wheel bearing for both the LS and SC...

not trying to insult your intelligence here, I figure you're smart enough to do that.  just trying to offer some help.

Another idea..  have you tried calling Bap Geon or WorldPac here in Houston?   both of those guys did really well on getting some less mainstream parts for Japanese cars when I was wrenching all the time.

then again, the effort may not be worth it to find a non-OE solution to save $100 on a part that will last another 20 years if you buy known OEM quality.

16 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Maybe you can get lucky with parts bin sharing?  I looked at the wheel *bearing, and they show the same part number for rear wheel bearing for both the LS and SC...

not trying to insult your intelligence here, I figure you're smart enough to do that.  just trying to offer some help.

then again, the effort may not be worth it to find a non-OE solution to save $100 on a part that will last another 20 years if you buy known OEM quality.

There's a neat page for Toyota/Lexus vehicles that makes it easy to cross reference parts. No luck in this case: https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?v=U_1999_LEXUS_SC300~400_UZZ30L-ACAZKA_4102.3&s=4230130030

But I agree, it's annoying to pay $250 for a hub that would cost $40 for the S2K, but odds are it'll last another 20 years... in the scheme of what we pay to operate our track cars, it's not a huuuuuge deal.

Sunday at the track, everything went well with the hub, but I ended up with a bit of an oil leak. The car has a Supra front sway bar, which doesn't quite fit correctly -- it and the oil filter interfere with each other. The oil filter has been "self clearancing", so I haven't addressed the issue. I figured eventually it would be an issue, and it seems this was the day.

Eventually I'll work on a remote oil filter mount setup. But for now, I've found that Wix 51056 is basically the same filter but shorter, eliminating the interference issue.

Let's see... I have figured out how to get decent knock data, thanks to an HPAcademy talk. The short version is that my car should be listening at 6hz but it's too noisy, but listening at 12hz gives me some data:

image.thumb.png.9f756c74a96a54a4a26369b97f5afb8b.png

I pulled the steering rack out today. I have some solid bushings for the rack and feel like it'd be a lot easier to use the press to get the old bushings out. Also, I found that one of my bellows was ripped. Obviously, neither of those things _demands_ the rack get removed, but is pretty easy to do and pressing things out is a lot better than trying to fuck with prying/cutting/burning/whatever.

Finished the rack up yesterday afternoon. Not a real tough job. Took the car out to MSRH this morning, and I do think the steering feels better but it didn't fix the issue I was hoping to fix. When I touch a curb or bump while turning, the steering seems to oscillate a bit. It's not dangerous or scary, but it doesn't feel great. I am pretty confident there is no slop or bad bushings on the car. Maybe power steering weirdness? I mean, I think it works right, but could it be over-reacting somehow?

I have Federal 595RS-RR on the car now. This is the second time out on them. They're a cheap tire, which makes them tempting, but so far, I am not super impressed. I would say I get about four good laps in and then they're done and all I'm doing is managing the car around the track rather than really driving it. Not great. I need some NT01s

sounds like an issue internal to the power steering rack.  there's some hydrualic valving in there and they do weird things when it goes bad.   my dad tried to rebuild the rack on his 240sx and it worked great turning right, but going the other way there was no power assist.   he rebuilt it again and turned some little valve around, and then it would suck the wheel hard left as soon as he started the car. strange stuff.  

but if I had to guess at yours, it would be something similar getting worn with the power steering hydraulics.  maybe time for a rack rebuild or replacement.   good luck.

So, doing some research, the rack has two modes... parking lot and highway, basically. It was in parking lot mode, and has been since I got the car. Thankfully, simply disconnecting the connection to the rack defaults it into highway mode. This is much, much better. Not perfect, but better. I should have looked into this a long time ago.

I feel like I've left some things out between my last post and now. Umm.... nothing real important, I guess. I replaced the rack bushings with solid bushings. This week I also got some new tires and wheels. PF01s in 18x9.5 with NT01s in 275/35/18. Should be fun.

PXL_20201023_210208156.thumb.jpg.16d1d87fd2ff506a6af00077b1ed3247.jpgI

I've done a poor job of keeping this up to date. Really, not much has happened -- I got laid of in November 2020 and am just now getting moving on track stuff. To that end, I've done the following bits of work:

- Installed Koyo radiator

- Ordered FIGS Engineering upper and lower front control arms. They're here, just need to get them installed and setup.

- Ordered a new motor from Suprastore/XAT Racing. Pretty standard stuff, really... Eagle rods, JE pistons, Supertec valvetrain, custom cams, etc, etc. Hoping for at least 350hp

2 hours ago, robertcope said:

- Ordered a new motor from Suprastore/XAT Racing. Pretty standard stuff, really... Eagle rods, JE pistons, Supertec valvetrain, custom cams, etc, etc. Hoping for at least 350hp

TO THE MOON

On 6/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, cabowabo said:

TO THE MOON

Indeed... I'm really hoping it pulls to 8500 or more. We shall see.

14 minutes ago, hornetball said:

I think you need to paint it silver to complete the sleeper look.

Nah...  needs to be gold/ champagne to blend in with the rest of the 'doctor's wife' cars out there.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:27 AM, hornetball said:

I think you need to paint it silver to complete the sleeper look.

Nooooooo, never. I am trying to keep it a little bit subtle, though.