BigMonkey73

The Driver's Edge - Nov 18th & 19th

Guest lobster

Thanks. Gonna see if I can make it out there. 

You should!  

I really enjoy TDE events, much more laid back and relaxing.   The use flags as a system to signal when to go to grid/class depending on your run group. 

It's a far cry from the hectic schedule based NASA events.   

What is the key to getting into the instructor program with TDE?

They are very selective; they're looking for a personality that's right and a fit for their culture. Typically you'll have been a student of theirs for some time beforehand.

They are very selective; they're looking for a personality that's right and a fit for their culture. Typically you'll have been a student of theirs for some time beforehand.

I miss working with Chuck over at the TDE, but the racing schedule doesn't leave much time or money for HPDE.

I miss working with Chuck over at the TDE, but the racing schedule doesn't leave much time or money for HPDE.

Chuck is awesome. It sounds like he may be out of track cars from here on out, though, but don't quote me on that (or under estimate the power of addiction).

Nothing like that. If you don't drive with them for a year they like to do a check ride with you and I no longer have a passenger seat so I have to ask Rick for special permission to sign up.

I'm not sure that is quite, exactly accurate. If you were a "red" level driver a year ago and have been participating in NASA or something, I don't see Rick looking for a check ride. If you completelt left the game for a a few years, then maybe. I think it would really depend on the situation. My guess is that he would reach out to you, "We haven't seen you in a while...."

I'm not sure that is quite, exactly accurate. If you were a "red" level driver a year ago and have been participating in NASA or something, I don't see Rick looking for a check ride. If you completelt left the game for a a few years, then maybe. I think it would really depend on the situation. My guess is that he would reach out to you, "We haven't seen you in a while...."

That's how it went last time. What have you been doing? NASA. Ok we'll let you run with us.

That's how it went last time. What have you been doing? NASA. Ok we'll let you run with us.

The last i ran with TDE was in early 2015, and that was with the yellow group.  Been running NASA SM since. . . think I would have a problem getting in red?

Been running NASA SM since. . . think I would have a problem getting in red?

I suspect they'd want a check ride. Frankly, I've seen plenty of "race" drivers that don't belong in red. Not saying you're one of them, just in general.

robert