mglobe

Ok TWS is dead. What's next?

Keep the ideas coming guys. Really appreciate them. It's tough right now to get much track time on local tracks, hence the reason for me asking about ones that are further away.

I doubt PittRace would be on the list, but for what it's worth, I just spent two weekends at Mid Ohio, and heard nothing but good things about Pitt.

A lot of those fall into the "big once a year trip to a new, far away track" for us Houston folks.

NCM is 14 hours, Barber is 10.5 hours. Hallet is 8.5 hours. All great tracks, but need to have travel days on both sides to make it work. Daytona is out there at 14.5 hrs+. You might as well throw Heartland park in there too at 11 hrs from H-town. They repaved recently, and it's just another 2 hours from Hallet. Really fun track and big facility. We did the trip to Barber in one day and it wasn't bad. And now that we have the option of sleeping in the trailer en route, that extends our range!

One of my big bucket list tracks is MRLS, but it's a whopping 30 hours from Houston!

Just for reference, from downtown Houston...

36 miles - MSR Houston

39 miles - Grandsport Speedway

88 miles - TWS (RIP)

155 miles - COTA

168 miles - Harris Hill Road

276 miles - Texas Motor Speedway

282 miles - MSR Cresson

286 miles - LG

304 miles - Eagle's Canyon

350 miles - NOLA

504 miles - Hallett

682 miles - Barber

700 miles - Heartland Park

784 miles - Gateway

844 miles - NCM

846 miles - Road Atlanta

964 miles - Daytona

980 miles - High Plains

986 miles - Pueblo

1041 miles - Sebring

1183 miles - VIR

1215 miles - Mid-ohio 

1228 miles - Road America

1356 miles - Pittrace

1729 miles - Lime Rock

1857 miles - Laguna Seca

I'm down for anything Hallett and closer

Try Daytona again with 120hp instead of 400hp.  ;)

Can you even make it to the top of the banking???? LOL!!!  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:

I'd like to take another stab at it - with the TA2 Camaro this time...and bring the Monte too! It's a little slipperier....funny thing is - after Daytona the crew noticed that both rear shocks were BLOWN LOL!! I do pretty decent with defective equipment!

A lot of those fall into the "big once a year trip to a new, far away track" for us Houston folks.

NCM is 14 hours, Barber is 10.5 hours. Hallet is 8.5 hours. All great tracks, but need to have travel days on both sides to make it work. Daytona is out there at 14.5 hrs+. You might as well throw Heartland park in there too at 11 hrs from H-town. They repaved recently, and it's just another 2 hours from Hallet. Really fun track and big facility. We did the trip to Barber in one day and it wasn't bad. And now that we have the option of sleeping in the trailer en route, that extends our range!

One of my big bucket list tracks is MRLS, but it's a whopping 30 hours from Houston!

Just for reference, from downtown Houston...

36 miles - MSR Houston

39 miles - Grandsport Speedway

88 miles - TWS (RIP)

155 miles - COTA

168 miles - Harris Hill Road

276 miles - Texas Motor Speedway

282 miles - MSR Cresson

286 miles - LG

304 miles - Eagle's Canyon

350 miles - NOLA

504 miles - Hallett

682 miles - Barber

700 miles - Heartland Park

784 miles - Gateway

844 miles - NCM

846 miles - Road Atlanta

964 miles - Daytona

980 miles - High Plains

986 miles - Pueblo

1041 miles - Sebring

1183 miles - VIR

1215 miles - Mid-ohio 

1228 miles - Road America

1356 miles - Pittrace

1729 miles - Lime Rock

1857 miles - Laguna Seca

Details...details...details...hahahahaha

I have a 5-6 hour journey no matter- Thus; what's another 8, 12 or 16??  ;0

I would like to give Cresson a try. Living in Houston, MSRH and TWS were my primary choices due to distance. Now that TWS is dead, I'd like to have a secondary track that can help improve my technical skills that MSRH lacks in.

I really enjoyed the PDS format. Looking forward to running with y'all again.

Nice reference, Nate.

Look at it for a while, and it’s a slippery slope 

We're planning on at least one long-haul track per year. I'm thinking yearly Track Junky pilgrimage.

Road Atlanta is a big candidate for next year. Maybe the newly repaved Heartland Park.

We're planning on at least one long-haul track per year. I'm thinking yearly Track Junky pilgrimage.

This is my hope, too. In my case I may use NSXPO as an excuse, although I am open to whatever, especially if it was an event where TJs where headed.

Next year's NSXPO is out in San Francisco at Sonoma. So, that seems like fun.

We'll travel for some PDS fun.  It really depends on NASA and SCCA schedule for Sally racing.  Then we fill in the blanks to get practice at those tracks.

I disagree with the comment that Cresson 1.7 CW is super technical.  I've never done the 3.1, so I cannot comment on that. 

I disagree with the comment that Cresson 1.7 CW is super technical.  I've never done the 3.1, so I cannot comment on that. 

To each his own of course, but its hard to be really fast on the 1.7 CW. Most folks can't get within ~2 seconds of their CCW lap time. The 3.1 is of course more technical than the 1.7. But I guess this discussion is for another thread. 

Derail complete.

To each his own of course, but its hard to be really fast on the 1.7 CW. Most folks can't get within ~2 seconds of their CCW lap time. The 3.1 is of course more technical than the 1.7. But I guess this discussion is for another thread. 

Derail complete.

Also many folks have different ideas of what 'technical' means when it comes to describing race tracks.

Houston local here.

SCCA and NASA will dictate most of my track time next year.  Got a full WRL schedule on top of that.  I'll fill in instructing/fun weekends with Chin, most likely.  That's probably enough track time to be just short of causing domestic disturbances.

Got lots of friends and family in NOLA from growing up there so that's a great trip for me, and I love the track.  Only downside is that the class I'm hoping to race in (SM) is close to non-existent in that region.  I've enjoyed TT there with NASA though when I was in my FRS.

My hope is that Harris Hill will become a bit more accessible with the increase in demand.  I also see COTA becoming more accessible as more and more professional dates fall off the the calendar (IMSA and WEC are off for next year).  That track is getting bumpier by the year too it seems.  Fixing that isn't going to happen for free.  Between the soccer fields, more concerts, karting track, bike events, they seem to be open to whatever revenue stream allows them to keep the doors open.  Hopefully they find that track days pays bills.

Although it's a tougher drive for me, I'll also keep a hopeful eye on ECR.  I last drove it in 2010 and really enjoyed it.  Chin Motorsports has publicly thrown around the idea of running TMS' roval, which would be fun to do once a year and may hopefully make that format more accessible to groups.

It's quite a few weekend dates that need to come off of TWS' schedule and land elsewhere. Hopefully other tracks are willing/ready to take advantage.

For longer trips, I'll put in a plug for Barber.  The drive can be done solo in a day from both Dallas and Houston, and once you get there, it's  my personal favorite track I've ever been on.  The area is a pretty easy sell to the family if you bring them along, kids can check out the museum and the scenery around the track, and there's good eating in Birmingham.

I checked out membership at MSRH. Cost aside, I'm not keen on the idea of having MAYBE 1 weekend a month that's open to members, with the rest being rented out. I can imagine this will only get worse as groups try to fill the hole left by TWS. If I had the schedule flexibility to go drive on weekdays, I'd probably do it.

We need a new track in Texas! C'monnn Bluebonnet!

I checked out membership at MSRH. Cost aside, I'm not keen on the idea of having MAYBE 1 weekend a month that's open to members, with the rest being rented out. I can imagine this will only get worse as groups try to fill the hole left by TWS. If I had the schedule flexibility to go drive on weekdays, I'd probably do it.

We need a new track in Texas! C'monnn Bluebonnet!

I did the same. I don't have weekday availability so nope.

SCCA and NASA will dictate most of my track time next year.  Got a full WRL schedule on top of that.  I'll fill in instructing/fun weekends with Chin, most likely.  That's probably enough track time to be just short of causing domestic disturbances.

I would be kicked out on the curb-side by March with that schedule.

Houston local here.

Got lots of friends and family in NOLA from growing up there so that's a great trip for me, and I love the track.  Only downside is that the class I'm hoping to race in (SM) is close to non-existent in that region.  I've enjoyed TT there with NASA though when I was in my FRS.

My hope is that Harris Hill will become a bit more accessible with the increase in demand.  I also see COTA becoming more accessible as more and more professional dates fall off the the calendar (IMSA and WEC are off for next year).  That track is getting bumpier by the year too it seems.  Fixing that isn't going to happen for free.  Between the soccer fields, more concerts, karting track, bike events, they seem to be open to whatever revenue stream allows them to keep the doors open.  Hopefully they find that track days pays bills.

Although it's a tougher drive for me, I'll also keep a hopeful eye on ECR.  I last drove it in 2010 and really enjoyed it.  Chin Motorsports has publicly thrown around the idea of running TMS' roval, which would be fun to do once a year and may hopefully make that format more accessible to groups.

It's quite a few weekend dates that need to come off of TWS' schedule and land elsewhere. Hopefully other tracks are willing/ready to take advantage.

For longer trips, I'll put in a plug for Barber.  The drive can be done solo in a day from both Dallas and Houston, and once you get there, it's  my personal favorite track I've ever been on.  The area is a pretty easy sell to the family if you bring them along, kids can check out the museum and the scenery around the track, and there's good eating in Birmingham.

SCCA will be at COTA in Feb and NOLA in March.  Those two races are already under contract.  MSRH is on the books for May, and that's it for CONFIRMED SCCA dates next year.

SM in the area is usually pretty well attended, and a good crowd of Houston guys go to the NOLA race.  For reference, results from 2017 NOLA Super Tour had 44 SM entries.  they had 34 the year before when it was 34 degrees all weekend long.

ECR for SCCA in the fall is still a 'maybe', pending a re-pave, which is unlikely to happen.

SCCA will be at COTA in Feb and NOLA in March. Those two races are already under contract. MSRH is on the books for May, and that's it for CONFIRMED SCCA dates next year.

SM in the area is usually pretty well attended, and a good crowd of Houston guys go to the NOLA race. For reference, results from 2017 NOLA Super Tour had 44 SM entries. they had 34 the year before when it was 34 degrees all weekend long.

ECR for SCCA in the fall is still a 'maybe', pending a re-pave, which is unlikely to happen.

nevermind