Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Charitable Opportunity for Automotive Enthusiasts

Fellow TrackJunkies, 

In case any of you are looking for a way to combine charitable giving with our shared love of automobiles, I wanted to let you know about a new charity my wife and I have created. We call it OnRamp. We are a tax-exempt 501c3 that helps people in need in the Brazos Valley find and purchase reliable vehicles. Most of us take reliable transportation for granted. With the turn of a key we can get to work, to the store, or to the doctor with little fuss or worry. Yet for so many individuals and families in the Brazos Valley, reliable transportation is simply out of reach. With few public transportation options available, the lack of a reliable vehicle can severely limit access to jobs, stores, medical care, and social and religious services, and can trap people in the poverty cycle.

It is our vision that by 2025 no one in the Brazos Valley would be unable to work or care for their family because they lack reliable transportation. We hope to help hundreds of people in need find, purchase, and maintain reliable vehicles as a demonstration of our belief that they are unconditionally loved by God. To this end, we will work with sponsors from local charitable and religious organizations to identify people in need who are already taking significant steps towards self-sufficiency, but who need a vehicle to continue that journey. These sponsors will help potential clients apply to our program, and then help them determine what they can reasonably afford. OnRamp will then raise funds to multiply clients' budgets as much as ten-fold, allowing them to afford a reliable vehicle without having to turn to predatory lenders. We will help clients find a suitable vehicle, and accompany them every step of the way, adding our funds at the time of purchase. We will continue to meet with recipients throughout the first year of new car ownership to improve and service their vehicles and to help connect them with organizations and social services that will continue their journey forwards.

If you’d like to help us, please consider giving to OnRamp. Here’s the link. We already have our first two clients in the pipeline and need to raise approximately $10,000 to help them purchase reliable vehicles. Thanks for considering this opportunity!

PS. Robert, if this is an inappropriate post for any reason, feel free to delete. 

PPS. Yes, I have thought about trying to get a few good-condition "flood" cars from TWS for our clients!! I've emailed the track and we'll see if anything comes of it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Just in case any of you might consider giving to OnRamp, let me tell you about our first client. She’s a single mom in our community with four kids, including one with special needs. Her only vehicle is, to put it charitably, junk. I’ve spent multiple days over the last year working on it myself to keep her and her kids mobile - a new water pump, timing and accessory belts, battery, tires - but it’s still on its last leg and needs to be sent out to pasture. But without it she can’t get herself or her oldest daughter to work, her kids to school, or any of them to medical appointments. She’s working hard to care for her family, and is even pursuing an Associates Degree to increase her earning potential. But she needs help. We need to raise around $5000 as soon as we can to help her buy a used, good condition midsize SUV (leads appreciated!). Please consider giving. Even small gifts will help. All gifts are fully tax deductible. And to any business owners, we’d love to make your business an official “partner” with OnRamp if you could give financially or in automotive parts or services. We’ll publicize you on our website, on social media, and anywhere else we can. PM me for more information or opportunities.

https://www.onramptx.org/give/

Just bought this '05 Tahoe with just 110k miles for client #1 and her family! Can't wait to give it to her tomorrow after a full detailing. So far we've raised over $20,000, so now it's on to client #2, another single mom with 3 kids who's doing an amazing job working and putting herself through college without a working vehicle. https://www.facebook.com/OnRampTX/

59dfdd27625ae_IMG_2980.jpg

I guess this thread slipped past me. Way to go @@Rev !!! This is special work you're doing, keep it up!

Time to revive this. After a quite spring, our automotive charitable organization has gotten 7 new requests for vehicles in the last three weeks. I've met with three of the clients, and they are all incredibly hard-working single moms who've been abandoned or abused by their partners, leaving them up a creek in life. While we can't fix everything for them, we can get them mobile again.

If you happen to have a good condition, reliable sedan or minivan/3-row SUV you'd like to donate to a charity or sell at a reduced price, let me know. Or if you want to donate to the cause, go here: https://www.onramptx.org/give/

Here's one of the women we're helping. Crystal (middle in picture below). We were BLOWN AWAY by her hard work and diligence. She's worked for 17 YEARS as a home health care provider, joyfully and kindly caring for elderly patients. Her current car, a '99 Oldsmobile Cutlass, which I worked on, is dying, and she needs reliable transportation to keep her job and care for her girls. PLEASE HELP US HELP CRYSTAL. Consider a donation. Even a small amount helps!

5b11755f5751d_IMG_3744.jpg

Well that happened quick! We found a local one-owner 2008 Buick Lucerne with only 60k miles. The owner recently passed. He was an amateur radio operator and he maintained the most meticulous records for any car I've ever seen! Every fill up, oil change, and service written by hand on a stack of 3x5 note cards. I kid you not! His estate sold it to us at a heavy discount. We're blown away. The lady this will go to, Crystal, currently drives a '99 Olds with no AC and a coolant system leaking so badly, she has to add a gallon of water every 5 miles. Her new car is pristine and even has AC ventilated leather seats! The cool thing is that she's spent the last 17 years taking care of elderly patients, and now an elderly patient who's passed away has left her and her girls a gem of a car. God is good!

PS. This Buick is the most-antithetical-track-junkie car I have ever driven (pic with my dad helping me check it out). Feels like riding on a cloud. I hate it; but Crystal (and almost everyone else) will love it!

5b11f1a5384ef_34258632_10214478437309141

Here is our next wonderful client, a single mom named Kerrianna with her six kids! She works hard and already has a great financial plan in place. She even has a heart for starting a community pantry ministry for families in need. But without a vehicle that can fit her kids, her job options are very limited. Please help us find and purchase a 7-occupant, reliable vehicle for this wonderful woman! 

https://www.onramptx.org/give/

5b1560a0c0af8_IMG_0020.jpg

Forgot to update this. We gave away car #8 today, a 2012 Focus to a single mom of 2 toddlers rescued out of an abusive situation. Dealerships are getting involved, which is fun. CS Ford did all the repair work on this car, worth many hundreds of $, plus BCS Tire and Lift threw in free tires. It was a good day!

5b58cad2dcf79__TXA9363.jpg

5b58cae700f05__TXA9322.jpg

I enjoy your blog, and this thread about helping people that are deserving get into a car that will transform their quality of life for the positive.

Just wanted to say thanks on behalf of the automotive universe at large.

In case you'd like to see why we do what we do with OnRamp, here's the answer. This is our 2nd client. She received a late-model Civic from us with help from our local Honda dealer. If you ever feel led to help, let me know. There's countless more single moms like her trapped in poverty for lack of transportation. It's truly rewarding and surprisingly easy to help!

https://vimeo.com/286989183

Hi,

Do you guys need help besides money?

Absolutely! We do need people with certain skill sets and connections to help us out. Graphic design, printing, fundraising, donor and partner development are always needs, as are help finding and inspecting vehicles to buy. Anything in particular interest you? PM me with your thoughts. And thanks for asking!

I haven't updated this thread in a long time. Today, we gave away vehicle #16, a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. It went to a sweet family of seven in our town sponsored by the school their kids attend. One of their teachers noticed that the kids, all great students, were absent a lot. By digging deeper, she discovered the cause - they couldn't afford a reliable vehicle, and buses weren't available. We were blessed to get to fix that for them. 

Frankly, we've been blown away by the response in our community to help families in need of reliable transportation. Through the donations of lots of concerned people, we've been able to give away 16 cars and repair another 14. That's 30 families who can keep employment and get to school and doctors' appointments. 

If you'd ever like to learn from us about how to do something like this in your own community, let me know. I'm happy to share what we've learned. And if you want to contribute to our work, let me know. It's all tax deductible. 

5c788b06ea3e3_IMG_0768.jpg

5c788b1b5f4c5_part01.jpg