Sign in to follow this  
SchadenFred

Convoy to NOLA 2017 - Friday

Who's up for a little convoy action from Texas to New Orleans?
The plan:

Meet between 10 and 11AM at the Bucees east of Houston to fill up on gas and stock up on beaver nuggets.

Get on the road at 11AM, or earlier if everyone arrives on time and is ready to go.

We'll be communicating via Zello.

Channel: tjconvoy

Password: nasa  

Also, please PM me with your cell number.

Participating:

SchadenFred

V6Donut

Lobster

CaboWabo

mkarr

I like where this is headed for sure. Are we talking about Thursday or Friday though? 

Friday.  I've edited the post to add that info, thanks.

I would suggest leaving just a bit earlier if you can..   leaving Baytown at 11 and going a normal speed puts you in Baton Rouge at 3-4PM on a friday.  Anything after about 3pm on a Friday is gonna SUCK to get through the I-10 interchange on the west side of town.

Friday.  I've edited the post to add that info, thanks.

Awesome, I like what @@Matt93SE said, but being a 6-7 hour drive I think we will have to sacrifice one or the other in terms of rush hour traffic. 

The good thing is that Avondale/NOLA is on the west side of NOLA proper..  evening rush hour traffic isn't as bad there as it would be if you were trying to get downtown.

I would suggest leaving just a bit earlier if you can..   leaving Baytown at 11 and going a normal speed puts you in Baton Rouge at 3-4PM on a friday.  Anything after about 3pm on a Friday is gonna SUCK to get through the I-10 interchange on the west side of town.

That's a good point.  We could leave earlier, or plan to stop for a meal somewhere and wait it out.  How long does rush hour last in Baton Rouge?  I'm used to Austin, where it starts at 7AM and goes until 8PM.

watch google maps traffic through the evening to get an idea...   currently (3pm on Friday), t's about 7 miles of stop & go traffic.  if I was pulling a trailer, I would rather shoot myself than deal with that.

post-204-0-75282700-1506715409_thumb.jpg

Don't know how long Baton Rouge rush hour lasts, but it sucks pretty much always going through there on I10. I'll convoy with ya'll unless you tow faster than I feel like driving on my new gears. I'm gonna go pretty slow in the right lane just so I don't turn 4700rpm the whole damn time.

Something else to consider is going south on 90 at Lafayette and go through Morgan City.  However, that's literally 100 miles of washboard road..  That highway beat me to death in a truck loaded to the bumpstops.  would be a beating in a stiff track car as well.  If you were in a cadillac, I'd take that route.

Don't know how long Baton Rouge rush hour lasts, but it sucks pretty much always going through there on I10. I'll convoy with ya'll unless you tow faster than I feel like driving on my new gears. I'm gonna go pretty slow in the right lane just so I don't turn 4700rpm the whole damn time.

Still trying to work out my schedule but if I go I'll convoy, I don't like to tow very fast so I'll be right there with you. 

I'm thinking about camping out there if I do go. 

Never been to that track before so not entirely sure. 

Still trying to work out my schedule but if I go I'll convoy, I don't like to tow very fast so I'll be right there with you. 

I'm thinking about camping out there if I do go. 

Never been to that track before so not entirely sure. 

Facility is NICE.  If you're going to camp, try to park as close to the timing tower as possible as that's where the showers and toilets are.  There are usually more toilets in the middle of the paddock, but they're just trailer porta-potty things when SCCA is there.   the Clubhouse is another nice building at the other end of the track, but it's usually locked at night so you can't use it other than for any organized parties and whatnot.

The kart track also has a restruant with burgers and whatnot, and of course karting.   There's good food about 15 min away both North and East of the track..  of course there's NOLA proper too if you're into that sort of stuff (I'm not a huge 'get drunk and piss in the streets' kinda guy)..

If you go, you WILL have fun.

Something else to consider is going south on 90 at Lafayette and go through Morgan City.  However, that's literally 100 miles of washboard road..  That highway beat me to death in a truck loaded to the bumpstops.  would be a beating in a stiff track car as well.  If you were in a cadillac, I'd take that route.

Last time I took that route (because of traffic on I10), I saw a Jeep pulled over to the side of the road, with the passenger puking her guts out. 

Last time I took that route (because of traffic on I10), I saw a Jeep pulled over to the side of the road, with the passenger puking her guts out.

Remember that's in loserana.. she could have been puking up her drink from the daiquiri shop a few miles back.... but then again a Jeep on that road would be pretty brutal.

also... we gonna get some walkie talkies and do this right?! 

Also how come you peeps dont get on our TJ's discord chat? 

So instead of walkies we can use zello, I created a zello channel called tjconvoy with password nasa

So instead of walkies we can use zello, I created a zello channel called tjconvoy with password nasa

I tried to sign in, "nasa" as the password is not working.

I tried to sign in, "nasa" as the password is not working.

same, no go here. 

i probably fat fingered it.  

Try it now  

Also not sure if it matters but the T in Tjconvoy is capitalized.  

i probably fat fingered it.  

Try it now  

Also not sure if it matters but the T in Tjconvoy is capitalized.  

yep, tested the channel this morning with Robert, we can hop on that to communicate if needed.