texevora

LCD panel/Rear-facing camera setup?

Thinking about adding an LCD panel and rear-facing camera to help with situational awareness/visibility in my track car.

I would prefer not to spend a thousand bucks on what should be a relatively simple setup. Would like high quality video, no lag, and water-proof/resistant.

Have any of you used low-cost cameras/panels off of eBay to do this? If so, can you point me in the right direction as to what parts you bought/from whom?

Thanks in advance!

I want this as well. Let me know what you find! I think if you dont come up with something I will just get a $30 one off amazon and mount the monitor with a Ram mount and see if the camera melts on the licence plate or not?

Is that one known to survive racecar use?

not yet, but ill let you know when i get it installed.    the backup camera on my car crapped out so i was gonna get this cheap thing and duct tape the display to my dash

"Backup Camera Inneed When Parking Your Trailer to Get Decent Image Quality to Make Your Reversing More Confident and Safty"

All your base are belong to us.

Just ordered one of those backup camera packages, will report back on how it turns out. Worst case scenario I'm out $80.

that was mine line of thinking.  

Don't cheap out on the screen/monitor.  You will pay for it during bright daylight conditions, when glare or poor brightness make visibility useless.  Ask me how I know.  This was a $60 setup though, with probably a $40 monitor, about 3 years ago.  I am sure you can get better quality and cheaper now.  

Another nice benefit is you don't get blinded by race car lighting during night races:

Here is a setup on one of the team I run with:  

Oh man, night racing looks so scary. Is the visibility better than what it seems in the video?

Yeah, the camera does zero justice.  I have no reservations running this car at night as compared to in the day.  This car is equipment with some of the best night racing lighting i have seen, with superb distance and side lighting.  

I mount my go-pro to my rear bumper, and have it send video to my dash mounted phone via wifi.  It makes a decent backup camera.  Replacing the phone with a tablet would make it easier to see while on track.

Eeewww. . . . the lag though?  I do this sometimes for backing up my trailer, but racing?

I mount my go-pro to my rear bumper, and have it send video to my dash mounted phone via wifi.  It makes a decent backup camera.  Replacing the phone with a tablet would make it easier to see while on track.

Wouldn't the image not be mirror-adjusted? Ie, with this setup, wouldn't a car behind you and to the right show up on the left side of the screen instead of the right?