Dusty1

What is everyone doing for fuel then?

My spare fuel's gonna be worth a fortune out there ;)

I have 2 5 gallon jugs which means so long as I use less than 30gal for the weekend I'm golden. Otherwise there will be an intermediate fill-up Saturday night.

Typically I'll fill up the cell with enough to get me thru practice and qual (12gal cell, filled to the top), then I bring a 5 gal can for each session I plan to run after. Often that means I run to town and fill up sat night when I go to dinner.

I prefer Shell, but all the stations around me are priced insanely; the one next to the house is regularly $0.75 or higher than anything else around for premium. So I end up running Exxon fuel a lot.

Pro tip: its likely all coming from the same local refinery with a little dash of additives being the only difference

Yes. It's the additives that differentiate the fuel. But that makes a difference.

I've used many a 93e10 and they all seem to run exactly the same/hit the same AFR, so good enough for me. I doubt the additive packages matter all that much with the amount of 20 minute Italian Tune Ups the car sees. 

I've used many a 93e10 and they all seem to run exactly the same/hit the same AFR, so good enough for me. I doubt the additive packages matter all that much with the amount of 20 minute Italian Tune Ups the car sees. 

That's probably true. My only hard rule is to use a Top Tier fuel.

Pro tip: its likely all coming from the same local refinery with a little dash of additives being the only difference

True. But as with motor oils its the additives that make the difference between best in class and lawnmower spec.

My Mazdaspeed6 had some knock on Exxon fuel, zero knock on HEB or Shell.

Just curious- was this a 1-time thing, or was is consistent with Exxon fuel from multiple locations?   What's the chance that you simply got some "bad" gas from a single station?

I guaran-damn-tee you that the station could have/has put 87 in the 93 tank and just not cared.   I've flushed tanks and fuel systems from multiple customers that have pulled up at the pump and filled their tank with 87, only to get 2 miles down the road and the car runs like poo and smells like diesel.

because the "worst that will happen" in a layman's opinion to an 87/93 mixup is a loss in power, *IF* the gas station employee ever even knew, they likely would have shrugged and moved on with life.

the amount of additives is minuscule. equal to a few drops per tanker.

Additives are very important and there's likely to be more like 10 gallons in every truck tank. My admittedly limited research shows additive levels around 0.1-0.2%. this doesn't sound like much at 1000-2000 ppm, but to put it in perspective only 100 ppm H2S can kill you. It doesn't take much of a good thing or bad thing to make a significant difference.

Apologies for high jacking a thread with info that's in likely dozens of other threads [emoji13]