EricJ

Please leave your Cowboy equipment at home!

You didn't pay attention in your CHL class...

Just curious, what are you referring to here?

I could see it possibly being unlawful at a NASA or SCCA event because it could technically be considered a professional sporting event, but a PDS or other track day I don't think so.

I'd be more uncomfortable around the guy in a$$less chaps than someone open carrying. A person in a$$less chaps while open carrying though... watch out.

I'd be more uncomfortable around the guy in a$$less chaps than someone open carrying. A person in a$$less chaps while open carrying though... watch out.

Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

Not poking at you but I believe that you did not...look up the definition of racetrack according to the Texas Penal Code...hint - it has nothing to do with auto racing...

Not poking at you but I believe that you did not...look up the definition of racetrack according to the Texas Penal Code...hint - it has nothing to do with auto racing...

Good call, and not one I had thought of, but not where I was going with that. NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA/PCA/Etc. are considered "Professional Sanctioning Bodies." When I have a moment, I'll post the case where this came up.

That said, I would not be the least bit surprised to find that a majority of folks had some form of arm with them at the track, though I don't know of any that carry on track. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall seeing a specific "no guns allowed on track" in the SCCA rulebook. 

As far as I remember, the state's definition of a racetrack is more like a dog/horse track.

I would not be the least bit surprised to find that a majority of folks had some form of arm with them at the track, 

I would think it would be less than 36% as all gun owners might not bring them to the track.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/29/american-gun-ownership-is-now-at-a-30-year-low/?utm_term=.a2395aab3579

I would think it would be less than 36% as all gun owners might not bring them to the track.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/29/american-gun-ownership-is-now-at-a-30-year-low/?utm_term=.a2395aab3579

Maybe so, maybe not. Probably depends on the region of the US. I would expect much of Texas to be a higher percentage. This poll was taken from a single news source of only 1000 people.

I don't arm myself for protection AT the track, it's the travel in between home AND the track that has me on alert. Our setup is quite noticeable and our stops are limited to truck stops, rest areas and overnighting at Walmarts due to overall rig/trailer length.

As a matter of fact, I seem to recall seeing a specific "no guns allowed on track" in the SCCA rulebook. 

Here's what the current SCCA GCR says about it, you are correct about no firearms *on track*....

"2.1.9. Possession of firearms is only permitted in compliance with federal and local ordinances and per facility rules and regulations. Firearms are not permitted in competition vehicles while on course. "

Oh yes I did. That is a HUGE stretch to call these a "professional" sporting event. We all know they are not. They are an amateur event. No different than carrying while running in a 10K. While some idiot judge or court may have allowed the stretch, that is not the intent of the law. It would have to be a PRO race. MX5 Cup is considered a pro race. A NASA regional weekend race does not meet the requirement. Now NASA or SCCA has the ability to ask you to leave, and then you just leave, but i bet the number of firearms at a NASA TX weekend is a huge %.

Edit - except for the Canadians. They don't use guns except to shoot Elk.

That is a HUGE stretch to call these a "professional" sporting event. We all know they are not. They are an amateur event. No different than carrying while running in a 10K. While some idiot judge or court may have allowed the stretch, that is not the intent of the law. It would have to be a PRO race. MX5 Cup is considered a pro race. A NASA regional weekend race does not meet the requirement. Now NASA or SCCA has the ability to ask you to leave, and then you just leave, but i bet the number of firearms at a NASA TX weekend is a huge %.

I don't disagree. There was an idiot judge that ruled exactly that. I just emailed myself to look it up at work tomorrow (Where i can do such things) and post it here. 

That said, I'll be the first to admit that I carry almost everywhere, and have at many a NASA event. Habit more than anything.

Oh yes I did. That is a HUGE stretch to call these a "professional" sporting event. We all know they are not. They are an amateur event. No different than carrying while running in a 10K. While some idiot judge or court may have allowed the stretch, that is not the intent of the law. It would have to be a PRO race. MX5 Cup is considered a pro race. A NASA regional weekend race does not meet the requirement. Now NASA or SCCA has the ability to ask you to leave, and then you just leave, but i bet the number of firearms at a NASA TX weekend is a huge %.

+1 that would be like saying a kids punt, pass, kick event put on by the NFL is a pro NFL football game.  NASA regional weekends are not pro sporting events and last I checked there's no paramutual betting at TWS.