Sign in to follow this  
Hastarock

Convoy to Hallett 2017

Appears that anyone who is going Thursday from the Houston area (and other parts) can meet up with Austin area (and other parts) in Dallas. So we need to agree on route and times.

First, who's going, and from where?

Hastarock - N.E. Houston
Hollywood - N.E. Houston
Spidervxbiking - Austin

VoBoy - N. Houston / Spring

Arro - League City

Shuka - S.W. Houston

Chime in, ok?

Appears that anyone who is going Thursday from the Houston area (and other parts) can meet up with Austin area (and other parts) in Dallas. So we need to agree on route and times.

First, who's going, and from where?

Hastarock - Houston

Hollywood - Houston

Spidervxbiking - Austin

Chime in, ok?

Spiderxvpbiking Austin

Whoa I didn't sign up for this! I'm not following Mr. "I tow doing 80mph" Spiderxvpbiking...  :blink:  :blink:

ROFL!!!!!  I won't be doing 80mph on this trip. I will be in the back doing 60 mph like  you guy's. I hope the Armada is up to the hill challenge:-)

Suggestion on route to avoid Dallas...

We could take 287 in Ennis up into Ft Worth and meet the Austin crew on I35 somewhere (Denton perhaps?). I'm not sure what Ft Worth traffic is like but it's bound to be better than Dallas. At least it was when I lived there 15 years ago. Plus, this bypasses all the small suburbia cities north of Dallas. As I type this, the google traffic is telling me the entire trip would take 8h 40min and there's no "red" traffic areas. The Dallas route has yellow and red trouble areas all over.

just a thought.

We could take 287 in Ennis up into Ft Worth and meet the Austin crew on I35 somewhere (Denton perhaps?). I'm not sure what Ft Worth traffic is like but it's bound to be better than Dallas. At least it was when I lived there 15 years ago. Plus, this bypasses all the small suburbia cities north of Dallas. As I type this, the google traffic is telling me the entire trip would take 8h 40min and there's no "red" traffic areas. The Dallas route has yellow and red trouble areas all over.

just a thought.

I talked to a friend of mine that grew up in OK. They said going through Dallas is better than FT Worth.

just a thought.

The North end of Fort Worth is really bad right now, I-820 / I-35W intersection is under construction.

From Houston, I come up I-45 to I-20 West to Spur 406 which turns into Loop 12. It joins I-35E,

You'll avoid both downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth.

From Austin, I'd fly, cause there just isn't a good way to get here from there....

Or, once you hit I-20 go East from I-35W or West form I-35E to Spur 406. I have no idea which is shorter.

How can going through Dallas be better than Ft. Worth? That's sure not my [limited] experience. But like I said, I have avoided it all together by going east a bit.

League City will probably already be on I-45.  Two in the caravan will take Parkway 99 to I-45.  It appears maybe the League City, Houston, and Spring guys should probably meet up in the Woodlands Mall area?

I'm good with that @@Hastarock, just give a meeting time.

As far as route goes, I'll just follow the leader ;) I didn't realize the north side of ft worth was under construction.

The North end of Fort Worth is really bad right now, I-820 / I-35W intersection is under construction.

From Houston, I come up I-45 to I-20 West to Spur 406 which turns into Loop 12. It joins I-35E,

You'll avoid both downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth.

From Austin, I'd fly, cause there just isn't a good way to get here from there....

Or, once you hit I-20 go East from I-35W or West form I-35E to Spur 406. I have no idea which is shorter.

@@EricJ - spur 408?

Everyone bring their roll of quarters for tolls.

so will we be on Toll roads in OK? 

Last I checked, Harris Co. EZTags can be used on the tollroads in the Dallas area. Is this not the case or is there some "fine print" detail I've overlooked?

The last stretch of road to the track is a toll road. It does not take tags, at least as of last time I was up there. I believe you also need to tell the attendant you're getting on from or off at the track for a reduced rate.

You can skip the turnpike but end up towing through some winding, narrow, slow countryish roads. Google maps will try to take you this way by default since it's a bit faster in a car.

With a tow rig, just for simplicity and convenience I highly recommend the turnpike. Bring lots of quarters - not all of the toll points are attended. Some are just a money basket.

The last stretch of road to the track is a toll road. It does not take tags, at least as of last time I was up there. I believe you also need to tell the attendant you're getting on from or off at the track for a reduced rate.

Yup. When you get on highway to Tulsa, tell attendant you just got on and it's about 1/2. When you come back to track, tell attendant you are immediately exiting for track and it's about 1/2. I'm bringing 2 rolls of quarters.

Yup. When you get on highway to Tulsa, tell attendant you just got on and it's about 1/2. When you come back to track, tell attendant you are immediately exiting for track and it's about 1/2. I'm bringing 2 rolls of quarters.

I thought you got that "track exit toll" for free?  Course that was 2015 when i was there last.

Go get'm Sam!  Wishing I was going with you guys.     :cray2:  :cray2:  :cray2:

Hope the car is up for it! Really going to miss you at this one - are you 100% sure you can last minute swing this?

I'll be leaving League City Thursday morning, but I'm one of those 80mph guys.

We'll point you by.