Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's talk fluids

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

cabowabo

cabowabo

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationATX
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata
I run distilled water + water wetter + splash of coolant so I can smell a leak in my street car. Only swap it for 70/30 if freezing temps are in the forecast. Runs cooler in traffic and on track, so win win.

EricJ

EricJ

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'99 Miata

Oil - Schaeffers 7000 20W50 Race Oil w/ Zinc, change every 2 or 3 events, when it starts getting dark.

Trans - Red Line MTL

Diff - Red Line 75/90

Radiator - Distilled Water & Water Wetter.

Shuko - Read the label on the Purple ICE. It specifically says do not use with Distilled Water. My Koyo had many small holes after 1 1/2 years on Purple ICE and distilled water. I didn't read the label until too late. I'm not convinced their corrosion resistance additives work well with distilled water. Water Wetter says distilled water is OK.

'99 Emerald Green Miata - NASA TX TTE 2015 Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

cabowabo

cabowabo

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationATX
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata
I'm surprised y'all use MTL, does it work well with the heat? I've always opted for MT90.

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX

I'm surprised y'all use MTL, does it work well with the heat? I've always opted for MT90.

That's why I like MT-85!

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

EricJ

EricJ

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'99 Miata

Amhad, you may want to get a copy of this book: https://www.advanced...ta-constructors

It is mostly Spec Miata specifics, but it also has a lot of general Miata stuff too, like maintenance schedules and how often to change various fluids.

'99 Emerald Green Miata - NASA TX TTE 2015 Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

Shuko - Read the label on the Purple ICE. It specifically says do not use with Distilled Water. My Koyo had many small holes after 1 1/2 years on Purple ICE and distilled water. I didn't read the label until too late. I'm not convinced their corrosion resistance additives work well with distilled water. Water Wetter says distilled water is OK.

OMGWTF! Haha. Thanks!

I usually use very filtered (not distilled) water from our home filtration system, or bottled filtered "spring water" laying around in the pantry... but I still don't know if that meets their requirements. Per their instructions I've emailed their tech support.

Distilled water and / or demineralized water should not be used if you elect to run a mixture of straight water and Purple Ice in your radiator.

How 'bout that.

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

So  I got a response from Royal Purple, and thought I would share it. This probably applies for other additives too.

Thank you for contacting us. There is no issues in using our Purple Ice (part #01600, 12 oz. bottle) with any type of water. However, in straight water or higher water content mixtures we recommend not running distilled, de-mineralized, or de-ionized water. All forms of water tend to be corrosive but distilled, de-mineralized and de-ionized water are far more aggressive in the way that they corrode, than some other water forms and as a result because they are more corrosive they should not be used in mixtures other than a full 50/50 water/antifreeze mix.

Instead of distilled, de-mineralized, or de-ionized, the preferred water type in straight or higher water percentage applications is bottled filtered DRINKING WATER. Just look for the words “drinking”, or “reverse osmosis filtered” drinking water. Bottled filtered drinking water has a very small amount of minerals that tends to pacify a water’s ionic need to dissolve and absorb minerals, like soft metals like aluminum, copper and brass from radiators. This makes it a much less corrosive form of water. Mineral scaling from using bottled filtered drinking water is not a concern, because the mineral levels are quite low, it will not present a mineral scaling issue like typical tap water, well water, spring and public city waters often can.

So... it's not that the additive has any problems with distilled water, it's that distilled water in general can be a problem in any cooling system regardless of additives, since it will tend to dissolve whatever happens to be around (including your radiator/pump/engine.)

Interesting!

hornetball

hornetball

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'95 Miata

Not sure I buy it.  Thread over on miataturbo.net was talking about this.  Plenty of guys using Redline Water Wetter with distilled for years . . . no problem.  Switch to Purple Ice with distilled and one guy lost two radiators in a row with an average life expectancy of 3 weeks!  There is some other chemical reaction going on with Purple Ice that doesn't happen with Water Wetter.  I'll try to find a link.

Silver 90 1.6L Turbo Miata (Greddy + MSPNP, Cowl Induction, FCM) (Build Thread)
Red 95 1.8 Miata (949 Racing 95R Project Emulation) (Build Thread)

hornetball

hornetball

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'95 Miata

Here's a link to what looks like a pretty good A-B-Control test:

http://www.wc101.com...iews/Additives/

YMMV!

Silver 90 1.6L Turbo Miata (Greddy + MSPNP, Cowl Induction, FCM) (Build Thread)
Red 95 1.8 Miata (949 Racing 95R Project Emulation) (Build Thread)

AhmadHasib

AhmadHasib

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, Texas
  • Track Vehicle:1995 Mazda Miata
Any place local in Houston that sells Redline MT-90, MT-85, and MT 75w90ns?

Local Autozone doesn't carry it.

Def

Def

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:AP1

Any place local in Houston that sells Redline MT-90, MT-85, and MT 75w90ns?

Local Autozone doesn't carry it.

Never seen Redline at a local store.

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX
Red Line

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

Def

Def

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:AP1

That extra space is way too much effort!

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:07 Mx5
ProAM on Richmond got redline.
Some motorcycle shops carry redline but mostly for moto applications.