Sign in to follow this  
SchadenFred

NASA June 24-25 2017 Hallet Motor Racing Circuit

Man I'm gonna be slumming it. From a big air conditioned toy hauler to a Coleman instant tent.  :facepalm:

Fort miata will live on, fear not.

Man I'm gonna be slumming it. From a big air conditioned toy hauler to a Coleman instant tent. :facepalm:

That's the real luxury though

I'm pretty nervous about this one TBH. Due to the final move from TN, I wasn't able to get any track time to test any of the following..

• Swapped in transmission with 80k on it due to losing 3rd synchro...hope it works.
  • Replaced a few Bilsteins after uncovering a blown one at TWS..
  • Zombie garage style OEM fix to CAS harness plug / wiring after uncovering a broken connector clip..hoping this fixes the huge misfires under load I was getting..

F' it, right?

giphy.gif

I'm pretty nervous about this one TBH. Due to the final move from TN, I wasn't able to get any track time to test any of the following..

• Swapped in transmission with 80k on it due to losing 3rd synchro...hope it works.
  • Zombie garage style OEM fix to CAS harness plug / wiring after uncovering a broken connector clip..hoping this fixes the huge misfires under load I was getting..

F' it, right?

giphy.gif

Testing, what's that? Sound silly, throw caution to the wind and don't look back.

F' it, right?

You doing the T&T? You can carry a credit from the race if your shit breaks on friday but if a wheel touches track on Sat, no refundy 

The way I drove up last year sucked putting me thru the middle of Dallas at lunch with construction. What's the best way around/thru DFW?

I've taken 290/6 through college station and Waco, then get on 35w and go around the west side of DFW area. Check where the construction is though because that might just put you in orange cone Hell. (I haven't been through there in a while so I don't know where construction is).

Another option is to take 45 up to 75 thru Richardson and mckinney.. when you get into OK up near Mcalester, take the Indian nation turnpike (basically 75) around the west side of Tulsa, then head west on 244/Cimarron turnpike.

The way I drove up last year sucked putting me thru the middle of Dallas at lunch with construction. What's the best way around/thru DFW?

FYI, if you try to use the Dallas North Tollway, it'll be closed all weekend. Its more about the drive home. "11 p.m. Friday, June 16 through 5 a.m. Monday, June 19"

http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/full-weekend-closure-of-dallas-north-tollway-in-plano/448773792

75 is likely best so long as you're hitting it midday.  

Testing, what's that? Sound silly, throw caution to the wind and don't look back.

You're just the Forrest Gump feather aren't you?  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:

You doing the T&T? You can carry a credit from the race if your shit breaks on friday but if a wheel touches track on Sat, no refundy 

Always do - not the money I'm worried about, it's the 15 hour round trip  :huh:

Let's move this thread to "Convoy to Hallett 2017" ?

But we're just starting to have fun!

Just to throw a wrench into the gears, we've gone up though Athens, Paris, etc to 271 in the past. It avoids the DFW area entirely. Not very useful for meeting up with folks from Austin, though.

take 287 in Ennis up into Ft Worth. I'm not sure what Ft Worth traffic is like but it's bound to be better than Dallas. At least it was when I lived there 15 years ago. Plus, this bypasses all the small suburbia cities north of Dallas. 

The way I get through Dallas, avoiding downtown, from Houston/College Station is:

I-45 North to 

I-20 West to 

Spur 406 North, it becomes Loop 12 North

You can take this to I-35E North. (you'll be past downtown)

There will be traffic, but not stop-n-go unless there's an accident.

I-35E now has Express (toll) lanes from south of I-635 to Lake Dallas, north bound starts at 11am (IIRC).

Also, I take US-377/OK-99 from east of Denton all the way to Hallett. It's about 15 minutes longer than taking I-35, but it's much less stress.

There was one section of construction, about 5 miles, when I went up 2 weeks ago.

Well the weather looks to have cooled off from what it was predicting last week.  Let's hope the new cooler temps happen.  F the rain though as i sold my rain tires from lack of use.

Wow, NOAA says a high near 85 Sat and 81 Sun. Let's hope that holds up, I'd kill for a mild 81 :p 50 percent chance of rain, eh, I can deal. VR-1's have plenty of tread and my RC-1's won't survive another 8 sessions anyways. 

I'm going minimalist this time around, so hope someone is bringing a grill and stuff for the sausage party on Thursday and Friday! 

Well the weather looks to have cooled off from what it was predicting last week.  Let's hope the new cooler temps happen.  F the rain though as i sold my rain tires from lack of use.

Does look better, but watch the heat index.

Right now weather.com predicts for Friday 91f / 64% = 104.7 heat index.

So how do you hydrate on Thursday, while driving 4-8 hours? I either end up not drinking as much as I should or stopping way too much.