Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's talk about impact wrenches.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

SchadenFred

SchadenFred

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:01 Miata #149, 08 BMW 335i

My next addition to the army of tools needs to be a cordless impact wrench.  Since I've already committed to using Dewalt 20V MAX battery packs, I've got two choices of tool.

Little one.
http://www.dewalt.co...ol-only/dcf880b

Big one.
http://www.dewalt.co...t-40ah/dcf889m2

This tool will mostly be used trackside, since I have air tools at home.  And 90% of the time, I'll just be changing tires with this tool.

Will the smaller one be adequate?  I like that it costs less and isn't as bulky.

Cheers,

Frederic

cabowabo

cabowabo

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationATX
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata

This is relevant to my interests after borrowing Sam's at the last event. Having a wired impact at home I forgot just how annoying swapping wheels is when you don't have one :p

BigMonkey73

BigMonkey73

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:2012 Base C6

Not relevant to your question OP, but I picked up a M18 Fuel a few weeks ago because Home Depot had a 30% off sale.

Loving it very much vs doing it manually with breaker bar for wheel removal. Still use torque wrench for tightening though.

stellman

stellman

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationKyle, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'16 MX-5, '04 MSM

Big one is the only one that shows actual TQ rating. Other one makes no mention, although I'd assume it would do at least 100-150ft/lbs.

SchadenFred

SchadenFred

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Not relevant to your question OP, but I picked up a M18 Fuel a few weeks ago because Home Depot had a 30% off sale.

Actually it's very relevant.  I'd love to know which model you got.  I can compare specs and see which Dewalt is similar.

Frederic

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX, 1999 SC400

This is the one that I use. It works well for wheel changes and such: http://www.dewalt.co...nch-kit/dc822kl

I'd probably look at a Ryobi ONE+ unit if I was buying now, but only because I have other ONE+ stuff that I like.

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

OK, so the little impact is invaluable and amazing in the garage (I'd recommend the 1/4" female drive instead of 3/8" or 1/2") more useful than any other power tool we have. Perfect for driving screws into wood, attaching a 3/8 drive adapter and dismantling body panels and engines, etc. You seriously need one and will wonder how you've gone without it for all this time.

HOWEVER.

The small impact generally lacks the oomph to break loose tire lugs. I've seen it work for some people but often will find them breaking the lugs with a bar, then using the small impact for the rest.

I use a larger electric impact specifically for wheel lug operations, and we have 3 more small dewalt impact drivers for all the other stuff we do around the house and garage.

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

I agree with shuko, EXCEPT... my 18V model does my Miata/S2K/NSX wheels just fine. It probably wouldn't handle my truck wheels, but I don't do much tire changing on that thing.

But, I definitely have a larger 1/2" impact for big work, like axle nuts. But it's also not cordless.

EDIT: It really bothers me that they don't put any sort of torque rating on the 20V model. WTF?

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

Tobey

Tobey

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:240sx
I'm with Shuko. I have both (18v models), and use them all the time. I rarely fire up the air compressor anymore.

SchadenFred

SchadenFred

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

OK, so the little impact is invaluable and amazing in the garage (I'd recommend the 1/4" female drive instead of 3/8" or 1/2") more useful than any other power tool we have. Perfect for driving screws into wood, attaching a 3/8 drive adapter and dismantling body panels and engines, etc. You seriously need one and will wonder how you've gone without it for all this time.

I have one of these, and a drill to match.  And as you say, the little 1/4" driver is wonderful.

handsoffsam

handsoffsam

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationNashville
  • Track Vehicle:Bluth Stair Truck

My vote: go big.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
#15 SM 94'

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationHouston

I have one of these, and a drill to match.  And as you say, the little 1/4" driver is wonderful.

Knowing that, yes go big.

z28pwr

z28pwr

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSAT
  • Track Vehicle:2007 NC Miata
I have the Ryobi 18 volt and I have to break the lug nuts if they are torqued over 85ft lbs but I got a great deal on it with two lithium batteries and a drill.

Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers!

EricJ

EricJ

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'99 Miata

I got the big one a couple of years ago for Lug nuts. Makes tire changes, front and rear bearing changes much easier, even at the track.

I got a small DeWalt 1/4" with a 3/8" adapter for Christmas, I wonder how Santa knew, and as Shuko says, it's invaluable. 

Get BOTH!

'99 Emerald Green Miata - NASA TX TTE 2015 Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Captain Buddha

Captain Buddha

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2003 Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2
Go big. I've got the 18v Dewalt. I use it for 1" lugs on the racecars. I would not want anything smaller! Get a good torque stick set for your needs. That helps immensely. Also a breaker if needed. My new car has aluminum wheels, sometimes it's a PITA to remove lugs compared to my GTA with steel wheels.

2003 Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2 - 2015 SCCA Mid-States Majors GT2 Champ

2011 Camaro #13 TA2/GT2

56201e78c30b9_DaytonaBankingsig.jpg

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Get a good torque stick set for your needs.

This is important! I use a torque stick that is just below my target torque spec, then torque by hand to the final torque.

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationHouston

Oh, and to quantify why the big versus small...

The big one tends to have enough rotational inertia that you hit the switch, nut breaks loose, let go of switch, inertia completely rotates the nut off!

mkarr

mkarr

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKaty
  • Track Vehicle:Scion FR-S

I have the big one:

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a little one:

https://www.amazon.c...LW8A/ref=sr_1_1

Both are great. And huge time savers. The big one has enough torque to free up just about anything. The little one is great for all the little fasteners that are everywhere.

blk96gt

blk96gt

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationKingwood, Tx
  • Track Vehicle:CMC 96 Mustang GT

I have both the large and small DeWalt impacts as well.  I accidentally bought the small 1/2" one instead of the 3/8" one, but I think they have the same torque rating.  In hindsight I'd do what others did and buy the 1/4" and use a 3/8" adapter, along with the large one.

ht_geordie

ht_geordie

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:95 Integra

My next addition to the army of tools needs to be a cordless impact wrench.  Since I've already committed to using Dewalt 20V MAX battery packs, I've got two choices of tool.

Little one.
http://www.dewalt.co...ol-only/dcf880b

Big one.
http://www.dewalt.co...t-40ah/dcf889m2

This tool will mostly be used trackside, since I have air tools at home.  And 90% of the time, I'll just be changing tires with this tool.

Will the smaller one be adequate?  I like that it costs less and isn't as bulky.

Cheers,

Frederic

Late to this party, but figure I'd throw my two cents in...

I have that exact same "small" electric impact. I love it, but it will not break out lug nuts without a long rattle on them and that's at around 75~80ft-lbs. I use a breaker bar to break the tension off lugs first. This is a minor inconvenience but has the upside of making the battery last forever. It is small, compact and light and that is what I like most about it.