Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tracklaps.net - build thread.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2015 Corvette Z51

groovy,  

its coming along.  

laps are outputting to a human readable table. 

I'm going to do some more sorting by individual tracks and what not. 

the lap submission page doesn't confirm whether or not a submission as occurred. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

Thanks Mr Pendleton for introducing Aryton Senna to my site! 

http://www.tracklaps.net/tws.php

Aside from the lack of verboseness anything you would like to see? 

ETA: Site isn't complete.  If anyone submits legitimate laps let me know so I won't just drop an entire table. 

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2001 C5, 1999 SM

A few issues/suggestions/comments with the submission form.

1. do we care about skill level?  what value does it add?  no right or wrong answer here, i just feel like its not needed

2. time format does not allow fractions of a second, but "am" or "pm".

3. car year?

4. tire vs tire model?  do we need both.  If I know what tire they were running, do I need to know if its a street tire or race tire?  

5. getting pretty granular, but what about tire size?

6. Vehicle mods will likely need a multi-line box to enter info.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

A few issues/suggestions/comments with the submission form.

1. do we care about skill level?  what value does it add?  no right or wrong answer here, i just feel like its not needed

2. time format does not allow fractions of a second, but "am" or "pm".

3. car year?

4. tire vs tire model?  do we need both.  If I know what tire they were running, do I need to know if its a street tire or race tire?  

5. getting pretty granular, but what about tire size?

6. Vehicle mods will likely need a multi-line box to enter info.

Thanks for the feedback.  Here are my thoughts. 

1.) I'm on the fence about skill, in my mind it's a good metric just to see where other drivers at your skill level are in similar vehicles.  Would be more beneficial to the beginner drivers.   I'm not adverse to taking it out or maybe making it optional. 

2.) the SQL INSERT for that field requires PHP to convert to milliseconds totaling the time the lap was.  Currently the stopgap is until I get to it sometime this week is to type out times in 9:99:99 (if you don't use the last colon you'll get a 00 response) so the milliseconds show up.  It's just for testing and I keep forgetting that its broken. 

3.) whoops I would say that's fairly relevant 

4.) something I was aiming for more feedback on honestly.  Some that I've talked to all they care is if someone is running race tires vs street tires whereas others care about the particular tire.   

5.) wheel size could go into the mods field else it's assumed stock wheel size maybe?  Primary goal is to focus on the DE drivers first and the racers second.   The racing clubs have transponders and sites that you can already go to check out your time.   So in my head the majority that I would initially hope to attract is the guys with the bone stock car that they're really starting to develop skill with after a handful of DE events.    

On the other hand, lots of people dong this have light mods and wheels are one of the first.  I'll mess around with some things in this regard. 

6.) yep, need to work on some formatting issues I have with JSON output before I modify the notes field. I'm also toying with the idea of using the google tokens to establish profiles for users to have their cars with details listed.  That way I could keep tires race/street for the lap times and then you can drill down to find more info on the car at that users profile.  

I'm also assuming this won't net a ton of traffic either so I'm using a basic lamp stack with very little scalability in mind.  

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationHouston

Instead of users input a subjective skill level, maybe a scale of number of events under their belt.  Example:

1-4 events

5-10 events

11-30 events

30+ events

jared

jared

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustin,Tx
  • Track Vehicle:2005 Corvette Z51
Being fairly specific about tire seems to me to be a good detail to have. A street tire can vary wildly from some Fuzions to Pilot Sports. Then you have "street" tires in the 200tw category.

Dave

Dave

Hasbeen

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • LocationDFW
  • Track Vehicle:2017 Nopity Nope

Being fairly specific about tire seems to me to be a good detail to have. A street tire can vary wildly from some Fuzions to Pilot Sports. Then you have "street" tires in the 200tw category.

Yeah, you kinda need 2 categories. Street tires and "street tires" with hand air quotes. 

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX, 1999 SC400

Someone was talking to me about how fast something was on 200TW tires recently. I kept thinking, well, that's nice but an RE-71R is a 200TW tire and it's fast as shit, at least for a few laps. When it comes to tires, you have to be specific or it is just jibba jabba.

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

I'll modify the submission form  

Should I have a field for treadwear? 

Instead of tire type street/race I could have treadwear 

So...   treadwear, tirebrand, tiremodel 

One of my hurdles is to any field that allows user input runs the risk of missssspellelled words.  

So for sorting and searching.   looking for Hoosier A7 vs hosier a7 or Corvette vs Corvete  

or Miata vs MX5 

I could obviously have selections but I don't know every single vehicle & tire brand and honestly I'm not terribly familiar with tires models either.

I'm just rambling and fishing for ideals but my end goal is to run a site that you guys would use.  

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX, 1999 SC400

Yeah, If you want to do it right, you should have Tire Brand, Tire Model, Tire Size, and Tire Treadwear. Also, wheel size. On a Miata, I can run a 225/45/15 on a 15x8 or 15x9, for example, and it can make in terms of performance.

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationHouston
Drop down lists as much as possible to prevent user screwups

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

Drop down lists as much as possible to prevent user screwups

can someone give me a list of tires and what not so I can make a drop down list? 

I'm not sure what all the cool kids are running nowadays. 

I know what tires I use and thats about it. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

okay I have model year for vehicles & tire brands. 

looking up tire models to have a drop down.  I think that's the best bet. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

oh if you guys want to shill for some services on the site, i would be a-okay with that. 

race shops, vinyl wrapping, etc.    

the more exposure I can get with the site the more laps ill ultimately collect making it more useful for everyone outside of TJ. 

jared

jared

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustin,Tx

okay I have model year for vehicles & tire brands. 

looking up tire models to have a drop down.  I think that's the best bet. 

This seems like a pretty daunting task. Do you need someone to just plug away tires into a spread sheet or something? It gets pretty slow at work sometimes.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

that would be incredibly helpful. 

what I would need is really just a spreadsheet with each column as a tire brand and under each brand the tire model 

Michelin                                  Toyo  

Pilot super sport                     R888 

I plan on tossing into the database, so when a user selects Toyo from the drop down they'll only be able to select from Toyo models.  

Some of the tire manufacturers don't make it easy, trying to determine relevant tires can be challenging. 

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't bother with Goodyear Wrangler for the list because I doubt many brodozers ever hit the road course.  

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationHouston
Make sure you include the Toyo A/T Open Country though. ;)

jared

jared

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustin,Tx

that would be incredibly helpful. 

what I would need is really just a spreadsheet with each column as a tire brand and under each brand the tire model 

Michelin                                  Toyo  

Pilot super sport                     R888 

I plan on tossing into the database, so when a user selects Toyo from the drop down they'll only be able to select from Toyo models.  

Some of the tire manufacturers don't make it easy, trying to determine relevant tires can be challenging. 

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't bother with Goodyear Wrangler for the list because I doubt many brodozers ever hit the road course.  

Alright, I will see how much I can accomplish in a day and go from there.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

super swell!  

I have the dashboard page coming along.

It captures the session ID and will display any laps that you've submitted.  

It will also allow (not built yet) the user to submit vehicle data. 

I'm also working on the ability to attach data to a given lap so a user can download AIM data for a lap.   It's a bit of a hurdle to make it to where it cant be abused so that feature may come later. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationHouston

I also see whats going on with the time box.   Some browsers are expecting AM/PM (chrome_win10) and others are not (Safari_osx) though I will fix it completely before its all said and done.